E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb Pro Tune vs PTF E-tune



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 4,084
iTrader: (13)

Cobb Pro Tune vs PTF E-tune

Hey guys, here is the situation. I have a 1m and am adding an FMIC and cobb tune to the car. I would like to get the car custom tuned using the accessport.

I live in Houston, and the closest pro tuner is cobb in plano.

My question is, cost aside, would i be better off going with an E-tune from PTF or getting pro tuned at cobb. I would imagine cobb since they would have the car in person and be able to really dial it in, but i wanted to get the opinions of some of the members who may have experience with both first.

Thank you.
__________________
PCD 10/10 on 2015 M3 : MW / SB Full Leather / HK audio / Adaptive Suspension / Silver 19s / 6MT / CF Roof
KennyPowers is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Fully_Bolted
Banned
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 443
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Hey guys, here is the situation. I have a 1m and am adding an FMIC and cobb tune to the car. I would like to get the car custom tuned using the accessport.

I live in Houston, and the closest pro tuner is cobb in plano.

My question is, cost aside, would i be better off going with an E-tune from PTF or getting pro tuned at cobb. I would imagine cobb since they would have the car in person and be able to really dial it in, but i wanted to get the opinions of some of the members who may have experience with both first.

Thank you.
If cost is an issue, i would go with the E-tune, since it would probably save you atleast $300. If cost is not a concern, getting protuned by Cobb would be my choice.
Fully_Bolted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
redlineryder
knowledge > opinion
 
redlineryder's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 e90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London/Toronto

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Both are just looking at logs and making adjustments, the end product will be the same. You need to decide if it's worth paying extra to have the car tuned by someone in an hour or two vs. you taking logs, exchanging emails and flashing maps.
redlineryder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
benzy89
Banned
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Their not a significant costs difference between E-Tune vs. ProTuning. The quality of the E-Tune is completely dependent on your ability to read/take good logs & effectively communicate with the the tuner. The ProTune luckily will have the tuner in person taking the logs & if there's something you don't like (after some road testing), it can quickly be addressed.


I personally felt more comfortable getting a local tune -- I drove a little over 3 hrs to have Jake from ProTuning Freaks tune my car in person for 93 octane & E85 custom maps. I felt more comfortable with him in the car & communicating him what my concerns are, the specific adjustments he was making to the tune & what I liked/disliked with the way the tune felt.


Regardless of who you go with, I can promise you that a quality tuning experience can be just as important as a quality tune.
benzy89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
zeel
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 AW e92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MD/NOVA/DC

Posts: 579
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I have nothing but good things to say about the PTF guys. I am local to Jake but work schedules make it hard to tune in person, so we basically e-tuned.
zeel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 4,084
iTrader: (13)

thanks guys, still a tough call for me

i dont like the idea of having to do WOT 3rd gear runs on the street. thats the one negative for me as far as the E-tune goes. its really the only thing holding me back at this point.

i would really enjoy the process either way, and i am a bit intrigued by the potential higher level of involvement with the e-tune process so i can learn a little more.

ahhhhhh
__________________
PCD 10/10 on 2015 M3 : MW / SB Full Leather / HK audio / Adaptive Suspension / Silver 19s / 6MT / CF Roof
KennyPowers is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Jake@PTF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jake@PTF's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 936
iTrader: (7)

Hey -

Either are a great option. I can promise both will have great results. The 3rd gear on the streets isn't too bad if you have a highway close. For the most part you only have to get to about 6000 rpms. We can do above that in a brief session so you never have to speed to much. If you can find a nice 70-75mph speed limit on the highway you wont go more than like 10-12mph over teh speed limit most of the time (although we obviously expect everyone we etune to be doing this on a closed course).
Jake@PTF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
 
VNeBLOB42's Avatar
 
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Folsom, Ca

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
007 335i E92  [3.83]
Send a message via Skype™ to VNeBLOB42
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
thanks guys, still a tough call for me

i dont like the idea of having to do WOT 3rd gear runs on the street. thats the one negative for me as far as the E-tune goes. its really the only thing holding me back at this point.

i would really enjoy the process either way, and i am a bit intrigued by the potential higher level of involvement with the e-tune process so i can learn a little more.

ahhhhhh
I did the Pro E-Tune with Dzenno @ PTF. I would say the big disconnect was my knowledge to communicate to Dzenno. But like Dzenno said, he didn't stop till it was butter.. lol... We even spent many logs to fix the 2K surge issue. PTF is a loyal vendor.

the E-Tune will most likely take longer because it depends on when you can provide a log like you said. I had to do mine around 10 pm where traffic was light or non existing. And i had the perfect safe flat road. But always that fear of a CHP.

If you choose the E-Tune you won't be dissatisfied, PTF won't stop till you are satisfied and the logs are butter. They have done enough to know what this car can and can't do and know how the logs should read.

In the end, if i was within a couple hours driving, i would do the Pro Tune in hopes of taking care of it in 1 day. Just be sure you communicate to COBB what your expectations and objectives are, same goes to PTF..


Oh yeah,

i would recommend doing a second Pro MAP on 93 Octane (if you do a High Ethanol MAP). That way if you are out and about and don't have Ethanol pump stations near, you can switch to a Pro 93 MAP and still have great power.
__________________

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI

Last edited by VNeBLOB42; 01-03-2013 at 11:38 AM.
VNeBLOB42 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 4,084
iTrader: (13)

Thanks guys. Leaning towards the pro tune I think due to safety and convinience.

Top of 3rd is I believe around 100mph...

And I would not run an ethanol mix map. I have no interest in using anything but 93 in the car. It's my dd and I hope to keep it for a long time as a second car.
__________________
PCD 10/10 on 2015 M3 : MW / SB Full Leather / HK audio / Adaptive Suspension / Silver 19s / 6MT / CF Roof
KennyPowers is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
roundel335
Brigadier General
 
roundel335's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

Posts: 3,506
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
By the way...there's a Cobb location in Austin, which is probably a lot closer from Houston than Plano. Quick trip out 290, and they're in the NW part of town, off Burnet Road and south of 183 as I recall.

I used to live in The Woodlands and the Hardy Toll Road made a great "test run" area. Over where I am now, that last section of Toll 130 has an 85MPH speed limit!

Wonder if Cobb is going to come up with an Accessport for the F30 N55 engine in the new 335i? I've got an M-Sport sedan on order...
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
∆nema
Captain
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

Posts: 961
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
By the way...there's a Cobb location in Austin, which is probably a lot closer from Houston than Plano. Quick trip out 290, and they're in the NW part of town, off Burnet Road and south of 183 as I recall.

I used to live in The Woodlands and the Hardy Toll Road made a great "test run" area. Over where I am now, that last section of Toll 130 has an 85MPH speed limit!

Wonder if Cobb is going to come up with an Accessport for the F30 N55 engine in the new 335i? I've got an M-Sport sedan on order...
They already have 2011 N55 support available. 2012 and newer is a different DME so that is unavailable ATM, but it proably won't be long.
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
∆nema is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
roundel335
Brigadier General
 
roundel335's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

Posts: 3,506
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ∆nema View Post
They already have 2011 N55 support available. 2012 and newer is a different DME so that is unavailable ATM, but it proably won't be long.
Yeah, I've been hanging out in the F30 forum and also did a little research on that new DME. Probably just as well that the Accesport for the F30 is not available yet, as I'm gonna need to put a few break-in miles on the car when it finally arrives in late Feb./early March.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
∆nema
Captain
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

Posts: 961
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Yeah, I've been hanging out in the F30 forum and also did a little research on that new DME. Probably just as well that the Accesport for the F30 is not available yet, as I'm gonna need to put a few break-in miles on the car when it finally arrives in late Feb./early March.
Is there no Dinan N55 support or are just wanting to try something different?
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
∆nema is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
BuraQ
Colonel
 
BuraQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,949
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
You cannot go wrong with PTF....E-Tuning seems to be a more realistic way to get the best out of your car.

Get up early in morning (lower temps and DA) on a Sunday or holiday and take ca for a spin
__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
"BMW DCT 335is" on Facebook
BuraQ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
foghat
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Great White North

Posts: 913
iTrader: (1)

I guess the other nice thing with a pro-tune is you should be able to get dyno logs/charts and get hp/tq numbers for before and after - so you can see what you really gained.
foghat is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
roundel335
Brigadier General
 
roundel335's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

Posts: 3,506
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ∆nema View Post
Is there no Dinan N55 support or are just wanting to try something different?
Nothing for the F30 N55 so far - new DME and all. But it's been awhile since the first F30s arrived, and so far, nobody but Burger Tuning has anything for it. I'd prefer the Dinan, whenever they get around to it. Not going to go full-bore on this car...just want more than the stock 300~ HP.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
jazze90
Captain
 
jazze90's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i, '09 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Thornhill

Posts: 632
iTrader: (0)

I had a chance to do both. As Dzenno is local to me I decided to do a local pro tune with him. Then after some time I got my meth kit installed and we did both a local retune as well as e-tuning. I really enjoyed the etune part of it as I also learned some of the basics on capturing and reading my datalogs and what my tune and car were actually doing. Either one gets you the gains and quality without doubt with etuning being an even bigger bargain with the same quality if not better than a local pro tune as you can work on it through different weather conditions and on the road. Other companies do pro tunes on dynos that simply can't reproduce real world conditions. Overall you can't go wrong either way
__________________
'07 335i E90 - PTF ProTUNED by Dzenno - COBB FMIC - AFE DCI - AA DPs - HFS4 Meth
'09 M3 - Stock
jazze90 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
shockin330i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: blue
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: f y'all, I'm from Texas (RGV)

Posts: 4,200
iTrader: (1)

There's a cobb in austin....
__________________
ERnie 2011 AW/e90/n55 12.9@107.53mph
*N55 Moderator*
I'm crawling similar to a ant cuz I'm low to the earth
shockin330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
foghat
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Great White North

Posts: 913
iTrader: (1)

Not to highjack - I know with my old srt and and predator tuner you could e-tune as well. But could not get logs with wideband o2 readings with out installing some sort of aftermarket sensor.

I know we have dual wideband o2 sensors, but am not clear if cobb data logging captures these readings?
foghat is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #20
Fully_Bolted
Banned
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 443
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat
Not to highjack - I know with my old srt and and predator tuner you could e-tune as well. But could not get logs with wideband o2 readings with out installing some sort of aftermarket sensor.

I know we have dual wideband o2 sensors, but am not clear if cobb data logging captures these readings?
Yes, no issues.
Fully_Bolted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #21
benzy89
Banned
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Not to highjack - I know with my old srt and and predator tuner you could e-tune as well. But could not get logs with wideband o2 readings with out installing some sort of aftermarket sensor.

I know we have dual wideband o2 sensors, but am not clear if cobb data logging captures these readings?
+1, usually when you eTune the tuner will specifically ask you what to datalog (sometimes overlapping logs w/ IATs, AFRs, STFTs/LTFTs, Timing/Timing Corrections, Boost, etc etc etc -- The AP is limited to how many variables it can data log at once)
benzy89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #22
foghat
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Great White North

Posts: 913
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake@PTF View Post
Hey -

Either are a great option. I can promise both will have great results. The 3rd gear on the streets isn't too bad if you have a highway close. For the most part you only have to get to about 6000 rpms. We can do above that in a brief session so you never have to speed to much. If you can find a nice 70-75mph speed limit on the highway you wont go more than like 10-12mph over teh speed limit most of the time (although we obviously expect everyone we etune to be doing this on a closed course).
So you only need 3rd gear pulls? Not 4th gear pulls?
foghat is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST