E90Post
 


E92 Lighting
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > M-ASK II eq



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #1
enojgreb
New Member
 
Drives: '09 120i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

M-ASK II eq

I have a '09 car with basic audio and Business Nav, which means I had the six horrible basic speakers, but powered by the 4x40w M-ASK II head unit.

Does anyone know if the speaker output of the M-ASK is EQ-ed like the basic radio or flat like the hifi head unit? And are the rear channels high passed or band passed?

Thanks!
enojgreb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,498
iTrader: (46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enojgreb View Post
I have a '09 car with basic audio and Business Nav, which means I had the six horrible basic speakers, but powered by the 4x40w M-ASK II head unit.

Does anyone know if the speaker output of the M-ASK is EQ-ed like the basic radio or flat like the hifi head unit? And are the rear channels high passed or band passed?

Thanks!
If I am not wrong, they are EQ-ed. Not sure about rear being high passed?
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
enojgreb
New Member
 
Drives: '09 120i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Thanks makkan00, I'll start saving up for a MS-8 then.
enojgreb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,830
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enojgreb View Post
I have a '09 car with basic audio and Business Nav, which means I had the six horrible basic speakers, but powered by the 4x40w M-ASK II head unit.

Does anyone know if the speaker output of the M-ASK is EQ-ed like the basic radio or flat like the hifi head unit? And are the rear channels high passed or band passed?

Thanks!
It is the same configuration as the Business OEM HU -front full range, rear high passed, EQed, high level outputs- except that there are no caps at the front mids (the MASK unit is 2ohm stable).
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
enojgreb
New Member
 
Drives: '09 120i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It is the same configuration as the Business OEM HU -front full range, rear high passed, EQed, high level outputs- except that there are no caps at the front mids (the MASK unit is 2ohm stable).
Thanks a lot, Technic! I guess that means that it'll be possible to recode it to Professional, to get balanced, unEQed signal. But if I'm going to add a MS-8 either way, do you think I'll be able to hear any difference in sound quality after the recode at all?
enojgreb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,830
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enojgreb View Post
Thanks a lot, Technic! I guess that means that it'll be possible to recode it to Professional, to get balanced, unEQed signal. But if I'm going to add a MS-8 either way, do you think I'll be able to hear any difference in sound quality after the recode at all?
Recoding to HiFi and using the MS-8 will give you the ability to skip Input Setup at the MS-8. MS-8 Input Setup takes non-flat, non-full range, high level signals and then flatten, sum and input low level match the signals before calibration.

I have noticed a noticeable degradation in sound quality if you Input Setup HiFi signals -obviously for the reasons stated above, it is completely unnecessary.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
romanonj
Captain
 
romanonj's Avatar
 
Drives: X3 and 335is w/DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey, Ocean County

Posts: 778
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Recoding to HiFi and using the MS-8 will give you the ability to skip Input Setup at the MS-8. MS-8 Input Setup takes non-flat, non-full range, high level signals and then flatten, sum and input low level match the signals before calibration.

I have noticed a noticeable degradation in sound quality if you Input Setup HiFi signals -obviously for the reasons stated above, it is completely unnecessary.
Curious, why do you think there is a degradation in sound quality after recoding the HU to HiFi balanced output? As you know, I have same configuration and was looking to recode my unit cause I assumed that there will be an improvement...
__________________
2014 F25 X3 M-Sport Carbon Black, Technology/Premium/Winter/Driver Assistance
2011 e92 335is DCT - Cobb, ETS IC, AFE DCI, BMW PS kit, M3 control arms, various cosmetic improvements RETIRED!
2007 X3 RETIRED!
2006 e90 330i 132k miles RETIRED!
romanonj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,830
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanonj View Post
Curious, why do you think there is a degradation in sound quality after recoding the HU to HiFi balanced output? As you know, I have same configuration and was looking to recode my unit cause I assumed that there will be an improvement...
I'm talking about coding to HiFi while using an MS-8.

You will be changing a great flat, full, low level signal if you do not skip Input Setup.

In other words, code to HiFi and then Skip Input Setup. You will have to use the RCA inputs.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
enojgreb
New Member
 
Drives: '09 120i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
In other words, code to HiFi and then Skip Input Setup. You will have to use the RCA inputs.
What do you _actually_ tell the garage to do? I don't imagine my garage will make sense of "recoding to HiFi" at all...
enojgreb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,830
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enojgreb View Post
What do you _actually_ tell the garage to do? I don't imagine my garage will make sense of "recoding to HiFi" at all...
They should know if they do coding... either add #676 to the VO and program car, or go directly to the MASK unit and change variable "audio system" to "HiFi".
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
romanonj
Captain
 
romanonj's Avatar
 
Drives: X3 and 335is w/DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey, Ocean County

Posts: 778
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
In other words, code to HiFi and then Skip Input Setup. You will have to use the RCA inputs.
Code to HiFi, then use RCA input... Thats what I was planning on doing, but thought you said that there is degrading in sound quality? Did I misunderstand what you were saying?

My X3 has the hifi set up and I used your harness (which was great BTW) to connect JL XD600/6, and with BSW speakers and SWS it sounds pretty decent.
__________________
2014 F25 X3 M-Sport Carbon Black, Technology/Premium/Winter/Driver Assistance
2011 e92 335is DCT - Cobb, ETS IC, AFE DCI, BMW PS kit, M3 control arms, various cosmetic improvements RETIRED!
2007 X3 RETIRED!
2006 e90 330i 132k miles RETIRED!
romanonj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Hopeful
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 330D E91 2010
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dorset

Posts: 143
iTrader: (0)

What T is saying is that you only need to run the MS-8's Input Setup if you're using the speaker outputs from an HU that has not been recoded to HiFi. If you run the InputSetup using the low-level outputs from an HU recoded to HiFi, the sound will be degraded.
Hopeful is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
romanonj
Captain
 
romanonj's Avatar
 
Drives: X3 and 335is w/DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey, Ocean County

Posts: 778
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
What T is saying is that you only need to run the MS-8's Input Setup if you're using the speaker outputs from an HU that has not been recoded to HiFi. If you run the InputSetup using the low-level outputs from an HU recoded to HiFi, the sound will be degraded.
So if RCA input is used on ms-8 the sound quality won't be degraded? Sorry just want to make sure I am clear..
__________________
2014 F25 X3 M-Sport Carbon Black, Technology/Premium/Winter/Driver Assistance
2011 e92 335is DCT - Cobb, ETS IC, AFE DCI, BMW PS kit, M3 control arms, various cosmetic improvements RETIRED!
2007 X3 RETIRED!
2006 e90 330i 132k miles RETIRED!
romanonj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
enojgreb
New Member
 
Drives: '09 120i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanonj View Post
So if RCA input is used on ms-8 the sound quality won't be degraded? Sorry just want to make sure I am clear..
As far as I understand, that's correct. Remeber to skip Input Config. Just be 100% sure that your HU outputs line level, so you don't feed the line level inputs to the MS-8 speakerlevel signals!
enojgreb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST