E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Passanger tire rubbing on strut ? only one side



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
ws6ickk
Private
0
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: clearlake

iTrader: (1)

UPDATED Passanger tire rubbing on strut ? only one side

Hey guys . I wanted to know if yalll had any advice on what could cause this . On my passanger side tire is rubbing on the strut but its only on that side . I have vmr vb3 19in been rolling with them about 6 months now and this just started happeing been threw 2 new tires already cause the strut is cutting in the side wall. any body else have issude like this? do i need and alighment? . Any info would be great . Thank you again in advance .

Last edited by ws6ickk; 01-10-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
abhishriv
Major
25
Rep
1,289
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Alignment would have been the first thing I would have done if I noticed. Are you lowered? I know I need 5mm spacers to prevent my tires from rubbing the strut. Maybe spacers will help you too.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
ws6ickk
Private
0
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: clearlake

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
Alignment would have been the first thing I would have done if I noticed. Are you lowered? I know I need 5mm spacers to prevent my tires from rubbing the strut. Maybe spacers will help you too.
No I'm not lowerd stock everything. The tires I have in front are 225/35/19 Dunlop . At first I thought I hit something but its happened twice now same prob just cutting the side wall on the tire
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
SuperBmw
Lieutenant
13
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (5)

What offset and width are your wheels?

Most people rubbing the strut have coilovers, you shouldn't be rubbing unless you have alignment issue or high offsets.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
ws6ickk
Private
0
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: clearlake

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBmw View Post
What offset and width are your wheels?

Most people rubbing the strut have coilovers, you shouldn't be rubbing unless you have alignment issue or high offsets.
I have the vmr vb3 I know there the correct off set cause I called and ordered them . There the staggered ones 8.5 in front and 9.5 rear. They have been fine for the last 5 months it just started happening car has 74k and IV had it for almost two year and I haven't had an alignment . I'm hoping. That's what it is . I was just wondering if any one else had issues like this before
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Stangorang
Major
Stangorang's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

Was your car in an accident?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
ws6ickk
Private
0
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: clearlake

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
Was your car in an accident?
No never been . Its just weird that it started happenings was fine before . But I can't remember hitting a pot hole . I was reading that shocks might be worn or the spring can be worn as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
NTXE92
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Plano

iTrader: (0)

If you are using the same tires and wheels you did in the past and did not have issues...

An alignment is not going to solve your problem. There is no adjustment that allows you to adjust your camber independent of the strut because the strut itself is bolted to the knuckle, which is bolted to the wheel. Your problem is either a bent strut, bent knuckle or both. Since hitting something hard enough to bend the knuckle is usually a fairly memorable event, I would start with the strut. Check and see if you can visually see a bend in the strut.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
CALWATERBOY
Captain
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
15
Rep
864
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E93 N54
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6ickk View Post
No never been . Its just weird that it started happenings was fine before . But I can't remember hitting a pot hole . I was reading that shocks might be worn or the spring can be worn as well.
  • Bop t'Ace Hardware
  • Score an extruded aluminum channel, maybe 1/2"
  • Score a carpenter's level app for your iPhone/Android
  • Cut extruded aluminum channel to ~19" length
  • Slip iPhone/Android in the channel; press against metal wheel rim, perfectly vertical
  • Channel too long? Trim
  • Use carpenter's level to read camber +-0.1 degree resolution

Check other side

What are your results?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
CALWATERBOY
Captain
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
15
Rep
864
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E93 N54
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXE92 View Post
If you are using the same tires and wheels you did in the past and did not have issues...

An alignment is not going to solve your problem. There is no adjustment that allows you to adjust your camber independent of the strut because the strut itself is bolted to the knuckle, which is bolted to the wheel. Your problem is either a bent strut, bent knuckle or both. Since hitting something hard enough to bend the knuckle is usually a fairly memorable event, I would start with the strut. Check and see if you can visually see a bend in the strut.

That's true! Check that strut.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
ws6ickk
Private
0
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: clearlake

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXE92 View Post
If you are using the same tires and wheels you did in the past and did not have issues...

An alignment is not going to solve your problem. There is no adjustment that allows you to adjust your camber independent of the strut because the strut itself is bolted to the knuckle, which is bolted to the wheel. Your problem is either a bent strut, bent knuckle or both. Since hitting something hard enough to bend the knuckle is usually a fairly memorable event, I would start with the strut. Check and see if you can visually see a bend in the strut.
You know what i actually didnt replaced the tire with the exact same one as the origanal dunlop. i just got a used 225 35 19. and ok will do i will post pics in a few
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
ws6ickk
Private
0
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: clearlake

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
  • Bop t'Ace Hardware
  • Score an extruded aluminum channel, maybe 1/2"
  • Score a carpenter's level app for your iPhone/Android
  • Cut extruded aluminum channel to ~19" length
  • Slip iPhone/Android in the channel; press against metal wheel rim, perfectly vertical
  • Channel too long? Trim
  • Use carpenter's level to read camber +-0.1 degree resolution

Check other side

What are your results?
lol you just blew my mind lol
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
ws6ickk
Private
0
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: clearlake

iTrader: (1)

Name:  WP_20130104_002.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  350.0 KB

Name:  WP_20130104_004.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  346.2 KB

Name:  WP_20130104_001.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  217.3 KB

Name:  WP_20130104_003.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  240.6 KB



GOOD SIDE

Name:  WP_20130104_005.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  213.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #14
Stangorang
Major
Stangorang's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (9)

Something must be bent.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #15
ws6ickk
Private
0
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: clearlake

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
Something must be bent.
Like what I'm going to the alignment shop tomorrow or today actually could the possibly tell me what's wrong ?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #16
NTXE92
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Plano

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6ickk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
Something must be bent.
Like what I'm going to the alignment shop tomorrow or today actually could the possibly tell me what's wrong ?
Strut or spindle.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
CALWATERBOY
Captain
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
15
Rep
864
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E93 N54
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6ickk View Post
Like what I'm going to the alignment shop tomorrow or today actually could the possibly tell me what's wrong ?

If good, exactly what's wrong.

Post back when done!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #18
ws6ickk
Private
0
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: clearlake

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXE92 View Post
Strut or spindle.
Its the strut that's bent .


ok my next thing I looked at my local auto store advance auto parts they don't have any option for my sport suspension they have a oemspecturem I believe that's what its called but its only for cars without sport suspension. Does it matter if I get ones with out sport suspension doesn't the car ride lower cause of the springs anyways . What is y'all's input on this .
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
NTXE92
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Plano

iTrader: (0)

There is a difference between the standard and sport package struts. And you are correct that ride height is set by the springs.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST