E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Even I didn't think it would be this quick



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #111
Snooky
Major
 
Snooky's Avatar
 
Drives: Q5 S Line Plus; 208 Gti
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Livingston, Scotland

Posts: 1,162
iTrader: (0)

Fantastic change Andrew!

I love the SLS and whilst I liked the XKR-S, it was a bit too in-your-face for me. The SLS styling is much more classy and they are firmly on my dream car list!

Delighted to hear your positive experience of the car sale.
__________________
Still missing my E92 335i M Sport!
Snooky is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #112
rogerxp
Major General
 
rogerxp's Avatar
 
Drives: 370Z R'ster / QQ+2 Tekna
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stockport, Cheshire

Posts: 5,883
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
I love the SLS and whilst I liked the XKR-S, it was a bit too in-your-face for me. The SLS styling is much more classy and they are firmly on my dream car list!
I'm glad those gullwing doors aren't too 'in-your-face'

So, Jag gone already, when do you collect the 'footballers' Merc??
__________________
Current -: 370Z GT Roadster / Qashqai+2 Tekna 1.6dci
Gone -: BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
rogerxp is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #113
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Palmnuts's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M6 (F13) & M135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Loughborough, UK

Posts: 1,890
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
Fantastic change Andrew!

I love the SLS and whilst I liked the XKR-S, it was a bit too in-your-face for me. The SLS styling is much more classy and they are firmly on my dream car list!

Delighted to hear your positive experience of the car sale.
Thanks...not as delighted as I am that it 'worked'! Having never dealt with the likes of these companies before, I was a bit apprehensive!


Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
I'm glad those gullwing doors aren't too 'in-your-face'

So, Jag gone already, when do you collect the 'footballers' Merc??
Next Saturday I'm going to particurly like using those doors....Vicki has already knocked herself out on them
__________________
Andrew
Current: '13 BMW M6 Competition Pack | '13 BMW M135i (on order '14 BMW M3)
Previous: '11 Merc SLS AMG | '12 Jag XKR-S | '11 Range Rover Sport TDV6 | '11 Jag XKR | '10 Jag XFR | '11 BMW M3 DCT | '08 Maserati Granturismo S | '10 Porsche 911 Turbo | '10 Merc C63 AMG PPP | '09 Merc C63 AMG PP | '06 BMW M6 | '08 BMW M3 | '07 BMW 335i | '04 Alfa 147 GTA + Lots of others
Palmnuts is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #114
scottc
Captain
 
scottc's Avatar
 
Drives: 911 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 640
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Andrew, definately not for you if you exceed the miles by 18000. That would cost an extra £4300! Excess mile charge is 20p ( or maybe even 22p) per mile plus VAT.

It will just have to sit on the drive!

My bet is that you won't keep the RRS, your powers of negotiation and persuasion will get you a 350 sport coupe on budget!
I wish my porka was 20p a mile, mine is 31p plus the VAT

CRACKING price though, £470 is cheap for a 640d
scottc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #115
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Palmnuts's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M6 (F13) & M135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Loughborough, UK

Posts: 1,890
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
I wish my porka was 20p a mile, mine is 31p plus the VAT

CRACKING price though, £470 is cheap for a 640d
Christ the Lord above....another reason why leasing really isn't for me.

People of the forum....if I ever come on here shouting about a fantastic lease deal, DO NOT LET ME NEAR IT!
__________________
Andrew
Current: '13 BMW M6 Competition Pack | '13 BMW M135i (on order '14 BMW M3)
Previous: '11 Merc SLS AMG | '12 Jag XKR-S | '11 Range Rover Sport TDV6 | '11 Jag XKR | '10 Jag XFR | '11 BMW M3 DCT | '08 Maserati Granturismo S | '10 Porsche 911 Turbo | '10 Merc C63 AMG PPP | '09 Merc C63 AMG PP | '06 BMW M6 | '08 BMW M3 | '07 BMW 335i | '04 Alfa 147 GTA + Lots of others
Palmnuts is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #116
scottc
Captain
 
scottc's Avatar
 
Drives: 911 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 640
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Christ the Lord above....another reason why leasing really isn't for me.

People of the forum....if I ever come on here shouting about a fantastic lease deal, DO NOT LET ME NEAR IT!
Mine is not a lease, its pcp
scottc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #117
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Palmnuts's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M6 (F13) & M135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Loughborough, UK

Posts: 1,890
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Mine is not a lease, its pcp






But then on a PCP, it only matters if you hand the car back and walk away.
__________________
Andrew
Current: '13 BMW M6 Competition Pack | '13 BMW M135i (on order '14 BMW M3)
Previous: '11 Merc SLS AMG | '12 Jag XKR-S | '11 Range Rover Sport TDV6 | '11 Jag XKR | '10 Jag XFR | '11 BMW M3 DCT | '08 Maserati Granturismo S | '10 Porsche 911 Turbo | '10 Merc C63 AMG PPP | '09 Merc C63 AMG PP | '06 BMW M6 | '08 BMW M3 | '07 BMW 335i | '04 Alfa 147 GTA + Lots of others
Palmnuts is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #118
scottc
Captain
 
scottc's Avatar
 
Drives: 911 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 640
iTrader: (0)

Yep, I only do 9000 a year so setting it at 10k is fine. If I cannot sell mine in may time I will hand it back, I am 1500 under at the mo so no big fees.

Have to admit Porsche finance is good as long as you don't go over the mileage. My 911 comes out at less than half the cost to what you were quoted on the m6.
scottc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #119
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Yorkshire

Posts: 4,559
iTrader: (2)

Nice car. Good sound.

The leeds player El Hadji Diouf has one in silver chrome - I had a little 'convoy drive' with him on the M621 a few weeks back.

Matt
RagingKileak is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #120
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Palmnuts's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M6 (F13) & M135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Loughborough, UK

Posts: 1,890
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Have to admit Porsche finance is good as long as you don't go over the mileage. My 911 comes out at less than half the cost to what you were quoted on the m6.
Totally agree - in fact, Porsche finance is in a league of its own.

My (used) 997 Turbo was also a finance bargain for such an expensive car and, as well as the SLS and M6, I also looked at a 991 this week with the view that it would actually save me a fortune! I had a test drive booked in a new C2S on Thursday but finally plumped for the offer in the SLS before I got there - the offer I had and the car itself was just too good to miss.

I know you're not a fan of the 991 but I thought it was great inside - the seats, driving position and general design of the interior had such strong showroom appeal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Nice car. Good sound.
Thanks Matt
__________________
Andrew
Current: '13 BMW M6 Competition Pack | '13 BMW M135i (on order '14 BMW M3)
Previous: '11 Merc SLS AMG | '12 Jag XKR-S | '11 Range Rover Sport TDV6 | '11 Jag XKR | '10 Jag XFR | '11 BMW M3 DCT | '08 Maserati Granturismo S | '10 Porsche 911 Turbo | '10 Merc C63 AMG PPP | '09 Merc C63 AMG PP | '06 BMW M6 | '08 BMW M3 | '07 BMW 335i | '04 Alfa 147 GTA + Lots of others
Palmnuts is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #121
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: X70 on the way
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glasgow

Posts: 1,549
iTrader: (0)

BTW -thanks for the write up on WWAC and WBAC. I've never thought about using them. But will give the X540D a go on it. Just ordered a Fabia VRS today so will try selling the X5 from next week and use the fast datsum as DD until VRS arrives.
misterS3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #122
Kerr
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Aberdeen

Posts: 3,313
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Nice car. Good sound.

The leeds player El Hadji Diouf has one in silver chrome - I had a little 'convoy drive' with him on the M621 a few weeks back.

Matt
I would ram that absolute scum of the earth off the road.


Otherwise what a car Andrew. A pretty mental choice.
Kerr is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 03:37 AM   #123
davyk31
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

Posts: 4,117
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
BTW -thanks for the write up on WWAC and WBAC. I've never thought about using them. But will give the X540D a go on it. Just ordered a Fabia VRS today so will try selling the X5 from next week and use the fast datsum as DD until VRS arrives.
X5 to a Fabia, that's quite a change!!
davyk31 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #124
scottc
Captain
 
scottc's Avatar
 
Drives: 911 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 640
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Totally agree - in fact, Porsche finance is in a league of its own.

My (used) 997 Turbo was also a finance bargain for such an expensive car and, as well as the SLS and M6, I also looked at a 991 this week with the view that it would actually save me a fortune! I had a test drive booked in a new C2S on Thursday but finally plumped for the offer in the SLS before I got there - the offer I had and the car itself was just too good to miss.

I know you're not a fan of the 991 but I thought it was great inside - the seats, driving position and general design of the interior had such strong showroom appeal.
Andrew, the 991 is a cracking car and the interior is second to none. Would I have one mmm yes, this is not something I would have said 6 or so months ago. The 991 is an all round sports car which looks, drives and rides like nothing else and its for that reason I would have one. I am moving away from the noisy, hard sports car which the 997 is and the 991 is not. Don't get me wrong the 991 is a very good sports car but its more of a gt and that's what I would now prefer. (must be getting old)

Personally I don't think a 991 would last in your hands as its just not special enough (not that it isn't special) You have had a M6 and again I just don't think its special enough after the xkrs..

The sls on the other hand is something very special which is why I think its the best choice, although I reckon we will be commenting on a thread like this in 6-8 months
scottc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #125
Darkeeboy
Private First Class
 
Darkeeboy's Avatar
 
Drives: 520d
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Worcestershire

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

You ever thought of joining an exotic car club instead of swapping motors frequently?
Darkeeboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #126
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
 
Alpina_B3_Lux's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i E90 LCI, 330d E91 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Luxembourg

Posts: 2,418
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Dude, seriously. That's freakin' mental! An SLS to save on running costs, really... That must be the quote of 2013 so far, at least for me. Can't wait to tell that to my friends so that they see how reasonable I am in comparison!

It's a great car, though. More or less the same engine as in your previous C63, but optimised with dry-sump, carbon cardan shaft and a different intake. And of course the chassis of the SLS with the much lower center of gravity. The German car magazine sport auto was duly impressed (read here: sport auto supertest SLS AMG) and drove it in 7:40 minutes around the Nordschleife, which is really, really fast.

I don't much like the shape of it (ain't much into that retro stuff myself), except the gullwing doors which are quite cool, but tastes differ of course. My fav' car of your recent ones was the black XK-R, one beautiful car that was.

Don't you think you might miss the torque of the XKR-S? Not that the SLS doesn't have some either, but a supercharged car is IMO more serene in daily driving.

In any case, congrats to that ride! I'm really looking forward to hitch a ride in that with you. But I guess you won't want to drive that on the 'Ring either, or will you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I'm actually in the process of working out a deal on an E350CDi coupe (trying to get the dealer to £500pm for a brand new one with Nav and no deposit!) as all E-Class variants I've driven have been rattle free!
Hmmm, here in Germany we say that if we want to drive a Merc we call a taxi!



But I understand your issues with the MPG - actually that's why I got us a second 3 series two weeks ago. A 330d E91 LCI actually - it stayed without a remap for 4 hours...

Alpina_B3_Lux
__________________
335i E90 - azurite black - Merino Champagne - ALPINA aerodynamics package+19" rims (2010 design) - Helix FMIC - Forge DVs - ar design catless ceramic coated DPs - HJS secondary race cats - Bastuck quad exhaust - BMS catch can - Performance Friction BBK - UUC SSK+DSSR - Quaife LSD - M3 conversion - Öhlins Road & Track - STETT CP - COBB ProTuned - Snow meth kit - Rixster Boost Gauge v2 - VAC diff cover - mods review
Alpina_B3_Lux is offline   Luxembourg
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #127
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
 
Alpina_B3_Lux's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i E90 LCI, 330d E91 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Luxembourg

Posts: 2,418
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Oh, and I forgot:



Alpina_B3_Lux
__________________
335i E90 - azurite black - Merino Champagne - ALPINA aerodynamics package+19" rims (2010 design) - Helix FMIC - Forge DVs - ar design catless ceramic coated DPs - HJS secondary race cats - Bastuck quad exhaust - BMS catch can - Performance Friction BBK - UUC SSK+DSSR - Quaife LSD - M3 conversion - Öhlins Road & Track - STETT CP - COBB ProTuned - Snow meth kit - Rixster Boost Gauge v2 - VAC diff cover - mods review
Alpina_B3_Lux is offline   Luxembourg
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #128
Snooky
Major
 
Snooky's Avatar
 
Drives: Q5 S Line Plus; 208 Gti
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Livingston, Scotland

Posts: 1,162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
I'm glad those gullwing doors aren't too 'in-your-face'

So, Jag gone already, when do you collect the 'footballers' Merc??


Fair point Rog!

I guess I was forgetting about the gullwing doors! With the doors closed, it looks less in your face than the electric blue XKR-S!!

Do the doors open out from the car? i.e. do you need a really wide space to actually get out of the car? Never seen the doors open up close!
__________________
Still missing my E92 335i M Sport!
Snooky is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #129
sheps
Colonel
 
sheps's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cambs, UK

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to sheps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
Do the doors open out from the car? i.e. do you need a really wide space to actually get out of the car? Never seen the doors open up close!
I can't comment on the SLS specifically, but I am a total DeLorean geek and I know that the DMC12 actually requires less space for the gullwing door to open that that of a traditionally hinged door.

Given the pivot point of the SLS door I'd say the same is true, certainly to the point where it requires no more space.
__________________
Gone but not forgotten:
325i M Sport (E92), Black Sapphire, Coral Red Dakota, 19" 225's, Seat Heating, 6FL and de-badge

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
sheps is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #130
dopper99
Colonel
 
dopper99's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 2,905
iTrader: (1)

Some more millionaire boy racers opening the doors....

dopper99 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #131
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Palmnuts's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M6 (F13) & M135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Loughborough, UK

Posts: 1,890
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
You ever thought of joining an exotic car club instead of swapping motors frequently?
Oddly enough, no....never. The thought of just a few hours every few weeks in a nice car, despite the ability for it to change every few weeks, just doesn't appeal. I mean, what would I have to wax on a weekend?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Dude, seriously. That's freakin' mental! An SLS to save on running costs, really... That must be the quote of 2013 so far, at least for me. Can't wait to tell that to my friends so that they see how reasonable I am in comparison!

It's a great car, though. More or less the same engine as in your previous C63, but optimised with dry-sump, carbon cardan shaft and a different intake. And of course the chassis of the SLS with the much lower center of gravity. The German car magazine sport auto was duly impressed (read here: sport auto supertest SLS AMG) and drove it in 7:40 minutes around the Nordschleife, which is really, really fast.

I don't much like the shape of it (ain't much into that retro stuff myself), except the gullwing doors which are quite cool, but tastes differ of course. My fav' car of your recent ones was the black XK-R, one beautiful car that was.

Don't you think you might miss the torque of the XKR-S? Not that the SLS doesn't have some either, but a supercharged car is IMO more serene in daily driving.

In any case, congrats to that ride! I'm really looking forward to hitch a ride in that with you. But I guess you won't want to drive that on the 'Ring either, or will you?

Hmmm, here in Germany we say that if we want to drive a Merc we call a taxi!


Alpina_B3_Lux
Unbelievable but true - the SLS is costing me considerably less every month than the XKR-S!

Funnily enough when I drove it, a lack of torque even compared to the XKR-S wasn't an observation I made Indeed, if anything it felt more instantly responsive - I guess that although it's only 5% more powerful and have 20lb/ft less torque than the Jag, it is 250kg+ lighter so it's power/torque to weight is significantly higher.

There will be no ring driving without suitable insurance I'm afraid...I mean, would you if you weren't suitably covered? Too much to lose and a risk too far for me

Lets catch up later in the year and we'll see just how well the ultimate driving machine stacks up to the taxi Was discussing with a friend today how might just pop over to the Pistenklause for a steak in the next few weeks and drive back the next day because, well, what better use for a car like this


Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
I can't comment on the SLS specifically, but I am a total DeLorean geek and I know that the DMC12 actually requires less space for the gullwing door to open that that of a traditionally hinged door.

Given the pivot point of the SLS door I'd say the same is true, certainly to the point where it requires no more space.
It's the same - very wide (2.1m) car but the doors need hardly any extra width to open. Also, with the doors open, the height requirement is still less than in say our Range Rover Sport.


Just 5 days to go. I haven't been this excited for a car....well, ever. One of my friends that I work with said he's never seen me like this about a car so this bodes well, assuming reality lives up to expectation! They say never meet your hero's
__________________
Andrew
Current: '13 BMW M6 Competition Pack | '13 BMW M135i (on order '14 BMW M3)
Previous: '11 Merc SLS AMG | '12 Jag XKR-S | '11 Range Rover Sport TDV6 | '11 Jag XKR | '10 Jag XFR | '11 BMW M3 DCT | '08 Maserati Granturismo S | '10 Porsche 911 Turbo | '10 Merc C63 AMG PPP | '09 Merc C63 AMG PP | '06 BMW M6 | '08 BMW M3 | '07 BMW 335i | '04 Alfa 147 GTA + Lots of others
Palmnuts is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #132
Mart1000
Capt Slow
 
Mart1000's Avatar
 
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk

Posts: 1,076
iTrader: (1)

Jesus Christ Palmnuts! Feels like yesterday reading the new Jag thread. That blue beasty was (in my eyes) a bit nicer though. I'm certainly not saying I don't like the Merc because I do, but the Jag was totally stunning.

I hope it brings a big smile to your face. You change cars quicker than I do lol.

Looking forward to the next thread like this...in May
Mart1000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST