E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW CEO not a sportscar fan?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
RingMeister01
Croatian
RingMeister01's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
2,571
Posts

 
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I read an article in the March issue of Automobile stating BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer isn't fond of sports cars and the M division is fighting him for the approval of the M8. Disappointing..
__________________
F82 M4 Individual / F87 M2 (on the list) / E36 M3 (track) / E21 320i (S52 + Getrag 420G Swap) / Fiat 500 (daily)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
ThatEgyptianKid
Private
United_States
4
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: Hoping for an f30
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New jersey

iTrader: (0)

Maybe that's why some of these cars are getting softer cough cough 3 series cough
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
114
Rep
10,529
Posts

 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Sometime we have the wrong people for the wrong job.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
RingMeister01
Croatian
RingMeister01's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
2,571
Posts

 
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by keown
That can't be true can it? Surely BMW want to compete with the Audi R8 at some point in the future
+1
bmw is currently the only German automaker without a "supercar". What gives ?
__________________
F82 M4 Individual / F87 M2 (on the list) / E36 M3 (track) / E21 320i (S52 + Getrag 420G Swap) / Fiat 500 (daily)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
SCOTT26's Avatar
311
Rep
3,237
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

It's more to do with priorities and what is important for the company and customer alike. and right now at the current time super sports cars are not a high priority.
__________________
Electrified
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Tallest
Major General
Tallest's Avatar
No_Country
105
Rep
5,247
Posts

 
Drives: TiAg Z4 Coupe 3.0Si
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ***

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
BMW is going the Apple route. They don't may be have the most hardcore features, but it's beautifully designed and marketing strategy is pretty well executed (judging by sales success) so all in all, it's fairly easy to see what they're doing.

All these halo car projects are loss making I think, and they values they bring are 'soft' and hard to measure. In these times, it's hard for a bean counter to understand why we need these 'soft' things and M bosses have hard time arguing against them. It's like this in many fields. Some things generate revenue directly, and others aren't.

I think in face of beancounters BMW is holding up relatively OK - but we pay for this at the showroom (well those who buy new).
__________________
'07 TiAg BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si / Everything
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
95
Rep
5,192
Posts

 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
They seem to be focused exclusively on selling more cars. With that being the goal, a halo car does nothing except divert resources.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
pseto
Major General
pseto's Avatar
United_States
90
Rep
6,539
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP, M Roadster, X5 4.4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbia, MD

iTrader: (4)

BMW is also the ONLY independent mass production car manufacturer in the world. They don't have hundreds of product lines to help offset all the R&D costs of any project cars that aren't a part of their core business.
__________________
Paul Seto - BMW Car Club of America
National Capital Chapter (MD/DC/NoVA), President & Social Chairman

Become a BMW CCA member & reference my member# 339225
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
manuelf
Private
0
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3 E92 LCI
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
I read an article in the March issue of Automobile stating BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer isn't fond of sports cars and the M division is fighting him for the approval of the M8. Disappointing..
At least the development boss (Mr. Diess) is for sure "fond of sports cars" - so maybe there is some hope?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #10
RingMeister01
Croatian
RingMeister01's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
2,571
Posts

 
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
BMW is also the ONLY independent mass production car manufacturer in the world. They don't have hundreds of product lines to help offset all the R&D costs of any project cars that aren't a part of their core business.
Good point. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #11
RingMeister01
Croatian
RingMeister01's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
2,571
Posts

 
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelf View Post
At least the development boss (Mr. Diess) is for sure "fond of sports cars" - so maybe there is some hope?
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
Class-of-2013
Second Lieutenant
11
Rep
225
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Driver's Seat

iTrader: (0)

The tension between the top management on "Sport Cars" is healthy I think. You have a good amount of people on both sides of the coin to keep BMW profitable and heading in a healthy design direction.

It may seem "softness" is creeping into each series, but really it's just product diversification at its finest - more variety to adapt to consumer needs / emotions. We'll still have our "M" cars and potentially an uber "M" car in the near future to challenge at the R8 / F430 level.

The M division will have to make moves that accomodate and reflect the market to a certain extent. They don't want to be Lotus. Will the new M3 have some new luxuries we don't care about? I'm sure. But it will still deliver the Performance we come to expect.

We already know the M3/4 will be lighter and more powerful than the current E9x, and from the looks of the 4 series concept, an amazing design evolution. The outlook is extremely positive for the M3/M4 variants. My only concern is turbo lag in the new 6 cyl. FI engine, M will have to deliver magic in this respect. I've driven a X6M and it has lag without a doubt.

Last edited by Class-of-2013; 01-09-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
m7ammed
1junkie
m7ammed's Avatar
Saudi Arabia
27
Rep
825
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saudi Arabia

iTrader: (0)

You are also forgetting the i8 its BMW's "Halo car" in a weird way.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
RingMeister01
Croatian
RingMeister01's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
2,571
Posts

 
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post
You are also forgetting the i8 its BMW's "Halo car" in a weird way.
Haven't forgotten about the i8 but I consider this to be the halo car for the new i series and not the halo car for the M Division.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
RingMeister01
Croatian
RingMeister01's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
2,571
Posts

 
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2013 View Post
The tension between the top management on "Sport Cars" is healthy I think. You have a good amount of people on both sides of the coin to keep BMW profitable and heading in a healthy design direction.

It may seem "softness" is creeping into each series, but really it's just product diversification at its finest - more variety to adapt to consumer needs / emotions. We'll still have our "M" cars and potentially an uber "M" car in the near future to challenge at the R8 / F430 level.

The M division will have to make moves that accomodate and reflect the market to a certain extent. They don't want to be Lotus. Will the new M3 have some new luxuries we don't care about? I'm sure. But it will still deliver the Performance we come to expect.

We already know the M3/4 will be lighter and more powerful than the current E9x, and from the looks of the 4 series concept, an amazing design evolution. The outlook is extremely positive for the M3/M4 variants. My only concern is turbo lag in the new 6 cyl. FI engine, M will have to deliver magic in this respect. I've driven a X6M and it has lag without a doubt.
Turbo charging to gain more performance rather the naturally aspirated approach, is a hard reality. I agree as good as the new turbo engines are, there are certain characteristics of these engines (turbo lag and lack of sound) that cannot be over come. Statistically the new M3 or another future M car for that matter will be faster statistically but what of the driving experience?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
Class-of-2013
Second Lieutenant
11
Rep
225
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Driver's Seat

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Turbo charging to gain more performance rather the naturally aspirated approach, is a hard reality. I agree as good as the new turbo engines are, there are certain characteristics of these engines (turbo lag and lack of sound) that cannot be over come. Statistically the new M3 or another future M car for that matter will be faster statistically but what of the driving experience?
To further your point, better statistics do not equate to more or equal "emotional" satisfaction when driving any car. Case in point, GT-R. On paper it should be the best thing since sliced bread, but many have walked away impressed but not "moved" - I think you know what I mean. But the M3 with its seemingly lower stats get people to defect from their 911s and GT-Rs, that says something.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
RingMeister01
Croatian
RingMeister01's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
2,571
Posts

 
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2013 View Post
To further your point, better statistics do not equate to more or equal emotional satisfaction when driving any car. Case in point, GT-R.
Exactly
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel
bimmerjph's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,978
Posts

 
Drives: 2002 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2013

To further your point, better statistics do not equate to more or equal "emotional" satisfaction when driving any car. Case in point, GT-R. On paper it should be the best thing since sliced bread, but many have walked away impressed but not "moved" - I think you know what I mean. But the M3 with its seemingly lower stats get people to defect from their 911s and GT-Rs, that says something.
I officially nominate you to the BMW Management Board.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
ptack
Brigadier General
ptack's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
4,267
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
They seem to be focused exclusively on selling more cars. With that being the goal, a halo car does nothing except divert resources.
You hate to think that the cars that define the brand become a diversion.
__________________
135i, SGM, Coral, Sport Package, Auto, Premium Hifi, USB/ipod, Apex EC-7s, PPK Stage II
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #20
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
67
Rep
3,035
Posts

 
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MD

iTrader: (29)

Send a message via AIM to SE3P_to_E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
BMW is also the ONLY independent mass production car manufacturer in the world. They don't have hundreds of product lines to help offset all the R&D costs of any project cars that aren't a part of their core business.
very good point.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #21
manoseao
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: good

iTrader: (0)

Sometime we have the wrong people for the wrong job.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #22
blue dragon
Lieutenant
7
Rep
432
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canuckistan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2013 View Post
. But the M3 with its seemingly lower stats get people to defect from their 911s and GT-Rs, that says something.
Wait, which people are defecting from 911s and GTRs? Its the other way around.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST