E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Lost BMW wheel lock key - will dealer sell me a new one?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
nukezero
Major
United_States
142

 
Drives: '09 335I Cpe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sunny Socal


Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (4)

Lost BMW wheel lock key - will dealer sell me a new one?

Well today has been a world of shit for me.

Did the CDV mod and took off the plastic panel screws. Drove away, left one screw, front driver tire ran it over and now it is losing air since I pulled it out.

Next problem, seems like I lost the wheel lock key now. So without the ability the take the tire off, I can't put on my spare tire to drive the car. So the driver side tire is going to lose air overnight until tomorrow morning, I need to figure out what to do.

I know the key code number and it is one of those silver keys.

I wonder if the dealer will sell me just the key, and not the whole lock set?
__________________
2009 335i 6MT - M-Sport - All stock
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
DSB335d
Lieutenant
29

 
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West palm beach


Posts: 557
iTrader: (0)

Go to auto parts store or Walmart and get a tire plug kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
44

 
cbad335's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cardiff-by-the-Sea, CA


Posts: 1,733
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Make sure the key is not in the small, covered tool space in the right rear corner of the trunk.
__________________

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
nukezero
Major
United_States
142

 
Drives: '09 335I Cpe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sunny Socal


Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (4)

its not. i know what happened. last time i was changing brake fluid and needed to take off the wheels. thats teh last time i saw the wheel lock key.

it is not in the trunk, my toolbox, my glovebox, i all checked 3X.

I suspect when I was torquing down the wheels, I left it on the last wheel. drove off, and poof.
__________________
2009 335i 6MT - M-Sport - All stock
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Braumin
First Lieutenant
9

 
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Regina, SK, CAN


Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

I've never had to do it, but I've read from others here that they have been able to just get the key from the dealership so you should be OK. Give them a call.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
nukezero
Major
United_States
142

 
Drives: '09 335I Cpe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sunny Socal


Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (4)

the wheel lock that i have is this one. the key i need is the silver piece. does the dealer sell JUST this part? or must I buy the whole damn wheel lock set again?
Attached Images
 
__________________
2009 335i 6MT - M-Sport - All stock
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
44

 
cbad335's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cardiff-by-the-Sea, CA


Posts: 1,733
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
the wheel lock that i have is this one. the key i need is the silver piece. does the dealer sell JUST this part? or must I buy the whole damn wheel lock set again?
I don't know, but thankfully you're in SoCal and not far from a dealership. Call the parts dept. tomorrow and order the key, if possible. If you call before 9 am and the dealership doesn't have the part in stock, they can usually get it from the Ontario warehouse that afternoon.

If you punctured a run flat, you'll probably have to purchase a replacement. If you punctured a non-run flat, you may be able to get the tire repaired.

On the bright side, you'll like the CDV mod. Best $20 you can spend on an MT.
__________________

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
GSDOUBLEU
Enlisted Member
3

 
Drives: 2008 e90
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 45
iTrader: (1)

Yes they will be able to sell you the adapter. And you have the code so it makes it easier for everyone. It should be less than $20 ( price of my dealer )
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
50

 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario


Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
Well today has been a world of shit for me.

Did the CDV mod and took off the plastic panel screws. Drove away, left one screw, front driver tire ran it over and now it is losing air since I pulled it out.

Next problem, seems like I lost the wheel lock key now. So without the ability the take the tire off, I can't put on my spare tire to drive the car. So the driver side tire is going to lose air overnight until tomorrow morning, I need to figure out what to do.

I know the key code number and it is one of those silver keys.

I wonder if the dealer will sell me just the key, and not the whole lock set?
Get rid of those wheel locks. They are useless and only cause grief. Think about it. They only slow a crook down.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
50

 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario


Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braumin View Post
I've never had to do it, but I've read from others here that they have been able to just get the key from the dealership so you should be OK. Give them a call.
So if anyone can get a key from the dealer.................
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
54

 
RupertPupkin's Avatar
 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East


Posts: 1,534
iTrader: (5)

Bought two from getbmwparts.com last Friday. They got here Tuesday. Just the keys. I had my key card and code. Very simple. PM Evan@tischer
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
Braumin
First Lieutenant
9

 
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Regina, SK, CAN


Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
So if anyone can get a key from the dealer.................
Well I assume you'd have to have your registration and such. Just like the dealer will sell you a key to your car as well. It's no different.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
GSDOUBLEU
Enlisted Member
3

 
Drives: 2008 e90
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 45
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braumin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
So if anyone can get a key from the dealer.................
Well I assume you'd have to have your registration and such. Just like the dealer will sell you a key to your car as well. It's no different.
You do not need registration. So...yea if someone happened to know your wheel code then they could order a lock and steal the wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
36

 
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Buffalo NY


Posts: 854
iTrader: (6)

I lost my key once, it went behind the glove box and down the side panel. I had to tear everything out to get it. I was like wtf wheres my key, took awhile but I found it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
rbtamms
Major
Philippines
32

 
rbtamms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 and 2013 F25
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 1,397
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Yes, the dealer will sell you one. I broke mine due to over torque & I bought it for $12+. They will just verify your VIN number if the car is yours.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
50

 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario


Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92oholic View Post
I lost my key once, it went behind the glove box and down the side panel. I had to tear everything out to get it. I was like wtf wheres my key, took awhile but I found it.
I bet you wish you didnt have them then! They stared their life as an after sale option along with rustproofing and scotchguard. They are useless. Would be nice if you were on the side of the highway changing a flat when a lock broke. Tow truck and then try and find/order a key.........
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
36

 
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Buffalo NY


Posts: 854
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
I bet you wish you didnt have them then! They stared their life as an after sale option along with rustproofing and scotchguard. They are useless. Would be nice if you were on the side of the highway changing a flat when a lock broke. Tow truck and then try and find/order a key.........
No not at that point, i wish i didn't have them when the assholes that re balanced my tires over torqued the one and i had to have it cut off to put my snows on. I will NEVER use them again, if someone wants to steal my wheels go ahead.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
chatcher
New Member
0

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: butler pa


Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

I purchased a new lock from my local dealer they took the vin, reg,and my lisc# the kid came out with a bunch of them and made sure he had the right one as they come in diff configurations. Around $20ish
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #19
sammk
Private First Class
3

 
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan


Posts: 173
iTrader: (1)

Being proactive, you should really work on your habit of randomly driving off...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #20
nukezero
Major
United_States
142

 
Drives: '09 335I Cpe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sunny Socal


Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (4)

I found one dealer near me with the correct wheel key today that was in stock for $15. Every other dealer had to order it.

I didn't even need to show proof of ownership or even that I drove a BMW. They just sold it to me.

Anyhow, the tire is fixed and it looks like the screw I ran over was not exactly the same one under neath the panel like I thought.
__________________
2009 335i 6MT - M-Sport - All stock
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #21
Jason@Tischer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
131


 
Jason@Tischer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Silver Spring, MD


Posts: 3,683
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to Jason@Tischer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Bought two from getbmwparts.com last Friday. They got here Tuesday. Just the keys. I had my key card and code. Very simple. PM Evan@tischer
Thanks for your order - we appreciate your business.



Evan or I are happy to help with these folks, so feel free to PM us with your lock code details.

__________________
Jason Reighard
Internet Parts Manager, getBMWparts.com

Email getHelp@getBMWparts.com AIM: Jason at Tischer
Follow us on: FaceBook | Twitter | YouTube
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
54

 
RupertPupkin's Avatar
 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East


Posts: 1,534
iTrader: (5)

Yea thanks again guys! Great service as always.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Tischer View Post
Thanks for your order - we appreciate your business.



Evan or I are happy to help with these folks, so feel free to PM us with your lock code details.

Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST