E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > e85 vs meth



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
oma3710
Lieutenant
oma3710's Avatar
8
Rep
443
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (1)

Question e85 vs meth

I want more power but I do not want to upgrade turbos. I say with the setup i have now running map 5 with e85 I'm close to 400whp. My question is if I get meth kit do I stop using e85 or can I use both. I need the car to be reliable because its my DD and I have kids. What are you guys getting to the wheels with meth? What do u think I will get running meth with my setup?
__________________
Jb4/ BMS DCI/ VRSF Downpipes/ VRSF Intercooler/ CSL bootlid/ 18" Miro 111 wheels/ Smoked LED tailights/ LED angel eyes/ M3 Rep bumper/ M3 CB hood/
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
335_MI6
Colonel
335_MI6's Avatar
30
Rep
2,224
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DC/MIAMI/LONDON

iTrader: (2)

I believe you can run both
__________________

Spiike32: "I remember seeing your photoshoot pics with an M3 and was inspired to continue modding to make it look as clean as yours. "
Epacy2: "335=M3?"
THE TECH: "Only 335 guys think so."
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Ænema
Captain
10
Rep
961
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

iTrader: (0)

You can definitely run both. There will be some gains with the methanol on top of the e85 but not as much as going from 93 to 93+meth.
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
themyst
Major General
themyst's Avatar
South Korea
86
Rep
6,602
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
93+meth can support aggressive timing, more than I thought actually. I am running a timing curve 12 degrees mid to 14 at redline and not a single correction on 93+meth. I ran 14.75 degrees midrange going up to 16 at redline with E85 + meth at 20 psi RBs.
__________________
E90 LCI N54 6AT
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
hemi to e90's Avatar
Poland
17
Rep
1,552
Posts

 
Drives: 10 335i, 12 a8, 14 899, 10 zr1
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: staten island

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma3710 View Post
I want more power but I do not want to upgrade turbos. I say with the setup i have now running map 5 with e85 I'm close to 400whp. My question is if I get meth kit do I stop using e85 or can I use both. I need the car to be reliable because its my DD and I have kids. What are you guys getting to the wheels with meth? What do u think I will get running meth with my setup?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
The Ghost
Reborn
The Ghost's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,105
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

My old 93+meth setup was weaker than my e50 setup. Now, MS109+ meth gave me the same times as e50 alone.

IMO, for a DD, I'd skip the meth kit. You already have 95% of the power you're going to make, so it's not worth the extra cost, hassle, and safety IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
themyst
Major General
themyst's Avatar
South Korea
86
Rep
6,602
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
My old 93+meth setup was weaker than my e50 setup. Now, MS109+ meth gave me the same times as e50 alone.

IMO, for a DD, I'd skip the meth kit. You already have 95% of the power you're going to make, so it's not worth the extra cost, hassle, and safety IMHO.
In the old days, we couldn't raise timing. Now we can, which could account for the better times. Even the Procede aggressive maps didn't advance cps as much timing as some of us run now. See above post on what I found I can get away with timing wise on 93+meth.

But +1 on running pump gas mapping for daily and save E85 fillups for race days.
__________________
E90 LCI N54 6AT
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
The Ghost
Reborn
The Ghost's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,105
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
In the old days, we couldn't raise timing. Now we can, which could account for the better times. Even the Procede aggressive maps didn't advance cps as much timing as some of us run now. See above post on what I found I can get away with timing wise on 93+meth.

But +1 on running pump gas mapping for daily and save E85 fillups for race days.
I could not run timing that aggressive on 93+meth; I had to use MS109+ meth. I think it's a YMMV type of thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
themyst
Major General
themyst's Avatar
South Korea
86
Rep
6,602
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
I could not run timing that aggressive on 93+meth; I had to use MS109+ meth. I think it's a YMMV type of thing.
Dunno what tune you're running, but 12 midrange to 14 at redline works just fine on 93+meth. 90/10 mix if that matters.
__________________
E90 LCI N54 6AT
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST