E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Dash Mounted Ipad mini for non navi e9x!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
kwsw
Banned
 
Drives: In the slow lane
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ / SWFL

Posts: 1,363
iTrader: (4)

Dash Mounted Ipad mini for non navi e9x!

UPDATED PAGE 2

Not really sure how people will take to this so FLAMESUIT in advance. but I've always hated not having a navi or idrive , and the Dynavin even tho it looks great I wasn't really impressed to pay that kind of money for it. The ipad always seemed to big but the Ipad mini I feel is just right. it is attached using velcrow to the mount I made so I can take it out of the car to sync it or just for security reasons.I was thinking of using Aux to bluetooth adapter but am afraid to lose sound quality and bass. so Im about to run a flat 3.5mm wire to it under all the trim so it is real clean and only will be exposed right near the jack. still playing with the mount to get it exactly how I like it. Let me know what u guys think ,I know im not the first to mount a tablet but here it is. Also just installed a new Intake and Im loving the sound!



Last edited by kwsw; 01-25-2013 at 02:28 AM.
kwsw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
jonnylin1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2008 AW e92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PNW

Posts: 1,638
iTrader: (1)

I think it looks great, my only approved use of the ipad mini lmao.

So what's the integration to the car like? Navigation? Any apps to work with the car? Perhaps monitoring a/f or oil temp or etc?

The trim on the e92 is so flat that i end up holding my phone discreetly to use nav...used to be able to set it somewhere on my last car. Your velcrow idea is pretty awesome.
__________________


Never low enough.

IG: Jonnylin11
jonnylin1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
Ivan@PYSpeed.com
 
Ivan@PYSpeed.com's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 3,953
iTrader: (4)

it looks good!
Ivan@PYSpeed.com is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
SDe92nIT
Private First Class
 
Drives: 07 335i coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 196
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Creative idea for a ipad mini
SDe92nIT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #5
marklemac
Private
 
marklemac's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southampton

Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)

I like it, very nice

If you now had this installed on it >> http://iobd2.co.uk

It would look the nuts
marklemac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #6
kwsw
Banned
 
Drives: In the slow lane
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ / SWFL

Posts: 1,363
iTrader: (4)

I think it looks good too still working on making the mount abit to make it better. as far as integration it has 3G service which allows navi and safari use anywhere along with siri which is nice to have. and as far as monitoring that is a great idea kinda did this without thinking of all the potential Im deff gonna get those sort of features added asap. it would be cool to have a GTR style information screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnylin1 View Post
I think it looks great, my only approved use of the ipad mini lmao.

So what's the integration to the car like? Navigation? Any apps to work with the car? Perhaps monitoring a/f or oil temp or etc?

The trim on the e92 is so flat that i end up holding my phone discreetly to use nav...used to be able to set it somewhere on my last car. Your velcrow idea is pretty awesome.
kwsw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
kwsw
Banned
 
Drives: In the slow lane
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ / SWFL

Posts: 1,363
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklemac View Post
I like it, very nice

If you now had this installed on it >> http://iobd2.co.uk

It would look the nuts
going to add something like this , gonna see whats out there
kwsw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #8
kwsw
Banned
 
Drives: In the slow lane
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ / SWFL

Posts: 1,363
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan@PYSpeed.com View Post
it looks good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDe92nIT View Post
Creative idea for a ipad mini
Thanks!
kwsw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
vexx786
Second Lieutenant
 
vexx786's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E39 530i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: California

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

rick ross! lol
Looks good.
vexx786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #10
kwsw
Banned
 
Drives: In the slow lane
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ / SWFL

Posts: 1,363
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexx786 View Post
rick ross! lol
Looks good.
LOL was thinking of taking a new picture just so people didn't make fun of me
kwsw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #11
Amini77
Brigadier General
 
Amini77's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 4,494
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Pretty cool I like it. But I bet it's a nuisance having to take it off whenever you leave your car in a parking lot, right?
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Amini77 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #12
KFJ512a
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW e92 335i, e60 525i M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Boston, Mass

Posts: 280
iTrader: (0)

do you mind doing a how to vid on how you did this exactly? i know other people have done it with different tablets on here but i rememebr when i first heard an ipad mini was coming out i was like this is perfect to mount some how in the e9x's if you dont have idrive.
KFJ512a is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 03:24 AM   #13
kwsw
Banned
 
Drives: In the slow lane
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ / SWFL

Posts: 1,363
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
Pretty cool I like it. But I bet it's a nuisance having to take it off whenever you leave your car in a parking lot, right?
Thanks & literally completed it like 5 hours ago not really sure the long term yet, It only takes pulling it off of the mount and putting it in the glove box or ill just carry it , its a Mini so its not that Hefty to have to carry around. what ever inconvenience I think its worth it at least to me it is
kwsw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #14
kwsw
Banned
 
Drives: In the slow lane
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ / SWFL

Posts: 1,363
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFJ512a View Post
do you mind doing a how to vid on how you did this exactly? i know other people have done it with different tablets on here but i rememebr when i first heard an ipad mini was coming out i was like this is perfect to mount some how in the e9x's if you dont have idrive.
yeah ill take a video or take some detailed pictures, I wanna adjust it a bit before showing it but ill post something tomorrow which is later today now I guess. my first try at making a mount is solid and works great but I wanna make it look somewhat oem or atleast less conspicuous . I'll have something for you later
kwsw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #15
Game
Brigadier General
 
Game's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lockport/Chicago, IL

Posts: 4,917
iTrader: (15)

Not a fan of how it looks personally.
__________________
Game is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 04:09 AM   #16
kwsw
Banned
 
Drives: In the slow lane
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ / SWFL

Posts: 1,363
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Not a fan of how it looks personally.
its all good to each is own there really is no solution besides a full idrive retrofit , the dynavin may look nicer then this but this is deff more user friendly. at the end of the day its fully removable if I don't like it ill just have a ipad mini to use lol even if its only a big iphone 5 without the phone
kwsw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 05:41 AM   #17
KFJ512a
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW e92 335i, e60 525i M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Boston, Mass

Posts: 280
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsw View Post
yeah ill take a video or take some detailed pictures, I wanna adjust it a bit before showing it but ill post something tomorrow which is later today now I guess. my first try at making a mount is solid and works great but I wanna make it look somewhat oem or atleast less conspicuous . I'll have something for you later
thanks alot man. Appreciate it!
KFJ512a is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
WhiteonWheat
Second Lieutenant
 
WhiteonWheat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i (AW e90 LCI)
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 226
iTrader: (2)

Subscribed for the write up vid and pictures!

I have DASHCOMMAND - which is the "GT-R Like" read out on my iPhone and iPad, but I'll def think about snagging an iPad Mini if this mount works out.

Here's the deal for me - the mount will need to be sturdy enough to hold that bastard in while going bonkers nut balls fast around some curves, etc, or to me it would be pointless - b/c again I would utilize it for a larger display of my dashcommand. Also - like another member stated, everyone would like it to be easily detachable so no one is tempted to break out the window to snag the iPad.

Great work man! Looking forward to the write up.

Thanks Guys!
-WoW
WhiteonWheat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
e90Nate
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: '11 335 xdrive msport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,553
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
that looks great! interested in the diy
e90Nate is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #20
remmib
General
 
remmib's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway

Posts: 26,035
iTrader: (0)

__________________

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3D Design Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
remmib is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 04:19 AM   #21
kwsw
Banned
 
Drives: In the slow lane
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ / SWFL

Posts: 1,363
iTrader: (4)

Still working on putting a DIY of some sort together for you guys , was busy all day but have some free time today
kwsw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #22
kwsw
Banned
 
Drives: In the slow lane
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ / SWFL

Posts: 1,363
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteonWheat View Post
Subscribed for the write up vid and pictures!

I have DASHCOMMAND - which is the "GT-R Like" read out on my iPhone and iPad, but I'll def think about snagging an iPad Mini if this mount works out.

Here's the deal for me - the mount will need to be sturdy enough to hold that bastard in while going bonkers nut balls fast around some curves, etc, or to me it would be pointless - b/c again I would utilize it for a larger display of my dashcommand. Also - like another member stated, everyone would like it to be easily detachable so no one is tempted to break out the window to snag the iPad.

Great work man! Looking forward to the write up.

Thanks Guys!
-WoW
so far seems to be very sturdy, i've done some aggressive street driving and it hasn't even budged, its deff mounted well enough for daily use. As for track use i don't see why it couldn't handle it, With Velcrow even though it may be easily detachable ,the ipad extremely well attached. I even velcrowed the homemade brackets to the dash so the whole setup can be taken out at anytime leaving only 2 strips of the fuzzy velcrow strips on the dash which even they can be removed without much trouble
kwsw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST