E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: blackline taillight installation

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
longtran's Avatar DIY: blackline taillight installation
longtran
09-19-2005
here is what is needed to do the installation.

30-45 minutes time
5/16 socket??? (it fit pretty good didnt have the metric size)
1/4 socket wrench
1/4 extension
screw driver (flat)
plug remover (no neccesary, but good to have)
1 can of...
By wuufer001 on 03-28-2007, 11:16 PM
nope, but i'll try and get those when i get the chance especially after a nice wash, we'll see how the weather work out.
By cjava on 04-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
nope, but i'll try and get those when i get the chance especially after a nice wash, we'll see how the weather work out.
Heh, it didn't work out too well apparently. The rain here in Dallas the past few days has sucked. It looks to be nice starting today, though.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the blacklines anyway. Guess I'll find out how it looks myself
By wuufer001 on 04-02-2007, 01:01 AM
the rain past few days really sucked like S$%t but apparently i'm at Chicago when the weather for Dallas gets better.
By wuufer001 on 04-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjava View Post
Hey, nice pics. Have you by chance taken any photos of them at night? I was curious if the blacklines affected the appearance of the rear when the headlights are lit and the rear lights are on idle illumination.
as promised but note that the red in the lights are just reflections of the flash. taken with phone but can give you the idea of how it looks at night after a quik wash
Attached Images

By luckyguyinla on 04-17-2007, 01:03 AM
hey longtran ..

would your black line thing work on e90 335i back light?
By g9sBMW on 04-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Just ordered mine from HunterdonBMW (eBay seller)

got them for $175

UPS delivers them 4/23.

Car is at Prep Center.
By Titania on 05-04-2007, 07:23 PM
I did this mod tonight...what a difference it makes! Thought I'd share some additional photos for an E91. The install is quite different for the trunk hatch lights.

Open the trunk hatch and you will see three little clips on the fabric part in the center. Gently pop them with a flathead screwdriver.

That fabric section is on a hinge, so just let it drop. This is what you will see inside:

To the right and left, you will see sections where the soundproofing insulation is cut.

Pull open those cutouts, and proceed as directed in the original instructions. Oh, one thing to mention, on the wagon, you have to remove the light assembly (white piece) on the hatch lights in order to remove the black connector.

By fizzle on 05-15-2007, 10:55 AM
what size are the bulbs? im looking to replace them with LEDs as i complete this mod. i am so surprised BMW didnt put LEDs in here.
By Greeney on 05-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
what size are the bulbs? im looking to replace them with LEDs as i complete this mod. i am so surprised BMW didnt put LEDs in here.
You will get errors
By fizzle on 05-18-2007, 01:42 PM
ah figured that. fuck man, i want some LEDs!
By fizzle on 06-12-2007, 10:23 PM
my girls ass looks dope now thanks to the blacklines. lol. thanks Long for this excellent write-up!
By Booboo12 on 07-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Woot woot - blackiline installed... Only had one "minor" issue when installing the inner lights... Read only if you want to laugh at me...
Trunk lid was up, I flipped the light in and the little plastic piece that goes over the bolt went into the trunk lid... yes - into the back of the trunk lid - it slid all the way back in there... long story short, I had to remove the trunk lid and shake it upside down to get it out... I was laughing myself...
I guess substituting SQUIRT for a vodka martini was not the proper deviation from the DIY that I should have allowed...

well- live and learn... Thanks longtran
By Haasman on 08-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Installed Blacklines and then ... I got a bulb warning

Any suggestions?

Anyone have this problem?

Haasman

PS The Blacklines look great (and I ordered the headlight switch for rear-fogs)
By dragonxyz on 08-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
Any suggestions?

Anyone have this problem?

Haasman

PS The Blacklines look great (and I ordered the headlight switch for rear-fogs)
I just got mine installed recently. Check your module connection to your lights, might not be seated properly.
By smog on 09-05-2007, 09:26 PM
just installed mine today. now wtf am i supposed to do with the old taillights? lol.
By frehof on 10-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Blackline installed
Attached Images

By Aristomenis on 10-16-2007, 01:34 AM
Thank you very much for the DIY

Here is mine before, intermediate phase, and after
Attached Images

By Seltho on 10-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Got my blackline a few days ago, gonna install them now. Looks easy but doesn`t say any thing about why you need squirt?
By normtrum on 10-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltho View Post
Got my blackline a few days ago, gonna install them now. Looks easy but doesn`t say any thing about why you need squirt?
Subsitute for your favorite beer. I only needed 2!
By heatfan03 on 10-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Excellent DIY. My dad and I were able to complete the whole thing in about an hour. Well written guide!
By nagge on 10-24-2007, 11:46 AM
did this mod about a month and just thought I'd say thank you for the DIY
took less then 20min, very straight forward.
By Bama M3 on 12-08-2007, 08:17 PM
I installed blacklines today. It was very quick and easy (thanks largely to the guidance provided by the OP and others in this thread). I can see why folks mentioned how important it is not to drop any nuts in the inner fender area when replacing the outer lights. Fortunately, I avoided that problem--but I was sweatin' it.

The difference is huge. It looks great in pictures, and even better in person. The change makes the rear end look wider, and sportier. It works particularly well with Sparkling Graphite (although I'm sure they would look great with any color)

Here's a before photo :

Halfway done (inside lights only)

And here's the final product

Thanks to everyone who provided advice on how to do this mod.
Comment