E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Police: Speeding without lights and sirens?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
Hope
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Police: Speeding without lights and sirens?

Hi all

Just wanted a bit of clarification on this one. I was in a narrow middle lane last night doing around 70(ish), there was a car to my left and nothing behind me.

Next thing a car goes flying past and completely shakes my car, I look in the corner of my eye there is a BMW 3 series marked police car going past. The car was whistling as it passed me!

Now I didn't see him coming behind me, and I didn't see him much in front of me either, this is on a complete straight m-way. I reckon the car must have been doing well over 130.

Now am I wrong or do police have to have their sirens or lights to do this kind of speed?

Its quite scary when you're driving home to your bed and not expecting it!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
IanS100
Colonel
IanS100's Avatar
United Kingdom
31
Rep
2,632
Posts

 
Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southport UK

iTrader: (0)

Not if they're on their tea break
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
20
Rep
1,698
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Hi all

Just wanted a bit of clarification on this one. I was in a narrow middle lane last night doing around 70(ish)


To clarify, it probably would have been better if you were driving in the slow lane. Especially if you were doing 70 and were tired.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Hope
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post


To clarify, it probably would have been better if you were driving in the slow lane. Especially if you were doing 70 and were tired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
there was a car to my left
In other words I was overtaking at the time, but thanks for the driving lesson

Also I wasn't tired, I just wanted to illustrate that it happened at night (people go to their beds at night)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
20
Rep
1,698
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South East

iTrader: (0)

LOL your welcome .

I was doing 85 on the way back from Bristol on Thursday evening and a marked x5 flew past sirens off mustve been on 110ish.

Just the way things are mate. Its all good.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Hope
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
LOL your welcome .

I was doing 85 on the way back from Bristol on Thursday evening and a marked x5 flew past sirens off mustve been on 110ish.

Just the way things are mate. Its all good.
Thanks

I was just curious to know because it doesn't give people around much warning but I know that these officers receive a lot of driver training and not sure in which circumstances (if any) they would do that sort of speed without lights etc.

Last week a similar thing happened, that time it was an X5, followed by a 5 series estate, followed by some unmarked Audi but all three had their lights on and were also doing crazy fast speeds! Its strange because I never normally see this happening.

Nice to know these 3 litre diesel BMWs are being tested to the limit
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Mart1000's Avatar
14
Rep
1,076
Posts

 
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (1)

No police drivers response drivers do not need blue lights and sirens to use their speed exemption.

He could have been driving like that for any number of reasons. Was there a Krispy Kreme shop nearby?

The main reason for doing big speed on a m/way without blues on, is when either an un marked car or anpr etc pick up a vehicle that's stolen or the driver is wanted etc etc. chances are this Beemer was trying to get up behind it quick but without advertising 3 miles away that he's on approach. It's a juggling act to show out or not. But at night, with reduced traffic, it's not much of a problem. In built up traffic things maybe different, it's just a judgement call.

Last edited by Mart1000; 01-12-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Billyray911
Colonel
Billyray911's Avatar
United Kingdom
31
Rep
2,722
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mind your own business...no,really.

iTrader: (6)

As Mart has mentioned,its a judgement call for a variety of reasons/merits.
On a motorway,general rule of thumb (good practice) is that everything goes on after a certain speed,as you are expecting too much of m.o.p.
If things go wrong,the occupants of the Police vehicle can massively drop in it...but that's another discussion.
The whistling is the air passing the roof bars btw.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Hotcoupe
Major General
Hotcoupe's Avatar
United Kingdom
70
Rep
6,105
Posts

 
Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
LOL your welcome .

I was doing 85 on the way back from Bristol on Thursday evening and a marked x5 flew past sirens off mustve been on 110ish.

Just the way things are mate. Its all good.
How comes you have a European speedo AP?
__________________
=================================


Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
20
Rep
1,698
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South East

iTrader: (0)

lol. Because 85 would be well within the speed limit
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
Hope
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
As Mart has mentioned,its a judgement call for a variety of reasons/merits.
On a motorway,general rule of thumb (good practice) is that everything goes on after a certain speed,as you are expecting too much of m.o.p.
If things go wrong,the occupants of the Police vehicle can massively drop in it...but that's another discussion.
The whistling is the air passing the roof bars btw.
I don't mind when a Chav sounds like they're doing 100mph and go past at 20 but when you hear nothing then next thing your car is shaking and a rocket flies past like this, it is scary sh*t! I thought the whistle was his turbo swearing at him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
How comes you have a European speedo AP?
Yeah, what is that about btw? Or was it a private road
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Amini77
Brigadier General
Amini77's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
4,597
Posts

 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
No they just abuse their power..had the same thing happen in front of me few days ago except he cut me off and didn't flicker. POS.
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 03:32 AM   #13
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Mart1000's Avatar
14
Rep
1,076
Posts

 
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (1)

Err ok.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
Hope
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
No they just abuse their power..had the same thing happen in front of me few days ago except he cut me off and didn't flicker. POS.
Oh right, because you really knew what his justification for driving in that manner was? I didn't start this thread to have a bash at the Police I was just curious because it isn't something I normally see.

For all I know he could have just been told that a car that has been reported stolen has been spotted joining the M-way 3 junctions away and he wanted to get there without getting spotted to avoid an uncontrolled high-speed chase with said car?

You are entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion I don't think its fair to judge the situation without full knowledge of the situation/circumstances. As I said the road was very clear too, only two cars including mine on the whole stretch.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
Amini77
Brigadier General
Amini77's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
4,597
Posts

 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Oh right, because you really knew what his justification for driving in that manner was? I didn't start this thread to have a bash at the Police I was just curious because it isn't something I normally see.

For all I know he could have just been told that a car that has been reported stolen has been spotted joining the M-way 3 junctions away and he wanted to get there without getting spotted to avoid an uncontrolled high-speed chase with said car?

You are entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion I don't think its fair to judge the situation without full knowledge of the situation/circumstances. As I said the road was very clear too, only two cars including mine on the whole stretch.
sirens are useful.
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
Hope
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
sirens are useful.
I know I've wanted some for like ever!


Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #17
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Sparky68's Avatar
United Kingdom
47
Rep
3,158
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Sounds familiar

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=unmarked
__________________

LM Reps - Borla Exhaust - Active Autowerks Chargepipe and Blow Off - JB4 G5 ISO - Burger Tuning Intake - Koni Street Shocks - Apex Springs - Whiteline Bushes - M3 rear Arms
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Mart1000's Avatar
14
Rep
1,076
Posts

 
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
I know I've wanted some for like ever!


Was that said in your best Taylor Swift voice? Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #19
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,288
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart1000 View Post
Was that said in your best Taylor Swift voice? Lol
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
Hope
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart1000 View Post
Was that said in your best Taylor Swift voice? Lol
Yeah That was what I was trying to do! I'm so happy it came across on the forum Awesome!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST