E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Considering Supersprint Exhaust....



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
fongboy
Private
 
fongboy's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 2010 335d non-sport, JBD
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: greenwich ct

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

Considering Supersprint Exhaust....

I'm really considering the Supersprint exhaust for our US 335d.I plan not to include the DPF removal downpipe as it will throw a code and what not. I'm still hesitate to pull the trigger though cause I'm not sure if the system will work and not throw any codes even with the DPF. Any of you have advice? It would really be appreciated. I want some sound from this torque monster!

Here's the link:
http://www.supersprint.com/en/prod-2...093E280BA.aspx
__________________
JBD 90%, 50% Tint-Sportline CS.16 18" -3M Carbon Fiber Trim Wrap- M3 Style Trunk Lip
fongboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
cssnms
Brigadier General
 
cssnms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

Posts: 3,182
iTrader: (4)

It will not throw codes so long as all of your cats and sensors are left in place. As for the improvement in sound, do not get your hopes up. The improvement is negligible. That said, installing a larger diameter mandrel bent center pipe (cat back) and a high flow muffler I expect you will pick up a couple more ponies.
cssnms is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
fongboy
Private
 
fongboy's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 2010 335d non-sport, JBD
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: greenwich ct

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
It will not throw codes so long as all of your cats and sensors are left in place. As for the improvement in sound, do not get your hopes up. The improvement is negligible. That said, installing a larger diameter mandrel bent center pipe (cat back) and a high flow muffler I expect you will pick up a couple more ponies.
Thanks for the tip. I know I wont't gain much sound, but it'll def be sufficient. So is the supersprint a direct bolt on? Does it have holes for the sensors? Also, which parts should I order from Supersprint? Thanks again
__________________
JBD 90%, 50% Tint-Sportline CS.16 18" -3M Carbon Fiber Trim Wrap- M3 Style Trunk Lip
fongboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
cssnms
Brigadier General
 
cssnms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

Posts: 3,182
iTrader: (4)

You should contact Supersprint directly for answers to your questions.
cssnms is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
 
floydarogers's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 754
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongboy View Post
I'm really considering the Supersprint exhaust for our US 335d.I plan not to include the DPF removal downpipe as it will throw a code and what not. I'm still hesitate to pull the trigger though cause I'm not sure if the system will work and not throw any codes even with the DPF. Any of you have advice?
Unless you replace ONLY the rear mufflers, it's going to throw codes, as the pipe replacements (980242, 980213) remove the SCR catalyst.
floydarogers is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
 
mkPOTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 528I
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 15,298
iTrader: (23)

Garage List
I would contact Evolve, I know they have been group buy deals and because they are able to delete the DPF with there tunes they should be able to answer both your questions
__________________
Evolve Automotive Representative
EVOLVE BMW E92 M3
mkPOTO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
sergiy'd
Private
 
Drives: 2011 bmw 335d
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: chicago

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

i would just try a reputable shop to build you an exhaust on the spot with mufflers of your choice
sergiy'd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
fongboy
Private
 
fongboy's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 2010 335d non-sport, JBD
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: greenwich ct

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Unless you replace ONLY the rear mufflers, it's going to throw codes, as the pipe replacements (980242, 980213) remove the SCR catalyst.
Gotcha ya. Didn't know that, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
I would contact Evolve, I know they have been group buy deals and because they are able to delete the DPF with there tunes they should be able to answer both your questions
I would love to contact them for a deal, but I'm not sure about a new tune cause that seems a bit pricy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiy'd View Post
i would just try a reputable shop to build you an exhaust on the spot with mufflers of your choice
I was thinking of this too. Plus it would def be cheaper.
__________________
JBD 90%, 50% Tint-Sportline CS.16 18" -3M Carbon Fiber Trim Wrap- M3 Style Trunk Lip
fongboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
 
Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego Blue 335d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (0)

My friend here in Puerto Rico did the muffler thing ONLY and trust me you could barely hear it, I believe that if you remove the DPF then the sound will improve if any slightly correct me on this Chris since you have done something to this effect. I forgot to mention to you he was going to put the SPRINT Booster I will call him today to see his results
__________________
RENNtech Flash/WAGNER IC
VMR710 19"/Execuhitch Hitch/Koni FSD
Soft Ride Bike Rack
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Puerto Rican 335d is offline   Puerto Rico
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
anielsen71
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E91 330dA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Naestved, Denmark

Posts: 484
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
After I removed my DPF, the sound from the exhaust is different. More metalic...hard to explain.
But when driving the sound is about the same....
__________________
Brgds
Allan
'06 E91 330dA Sparkling Graphite|19" VMR703 Black Matte|335i brakes|Eibach|Wagner|Ecotune|Turbo Dynamics
anielsen71 is offline   Denmark
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
FormerRotor
Major
 
FormerRotor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

Posts: 1,456
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongboy View Post
I would love to contact them for a deal, but I'm not sure about a new tune cause that seems a bit pricy...
Honestly, I would suggest that a tune should be performed over an exhaust if the pricing is an issue. From a $/hp perspective, that is a no contest. Similarly, you probably will not be able to maximize the performance return on your DPF delete, etc, investment without a tune. ...just food for thought.
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
FormerRotor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
 
Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego Blue 335d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (0)

Rotor very true on this, after I made the RENNtech move my car added another 70 whp just with the flash ALONE!! The exhaust at any given car usually renders anywhere from 7-10 whp if so, unless your driving supped up 911 or GTR then its a different story but i doubt you will gain 10 whp on a DIESEL. i might be wrong on this though!!
__________________
RENNtech Flash/WAGNER IC
VMR710 19"/Execuhitch Hitch/Koni FSD
Soft Ride Bike Rack
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Puerto Rican 335d is offline   Puerto Rico
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
sergiy'd
Private
 
Drives: 2011 bmw 335d
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: chicago

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

but consider the sound you are making when you take off at the light, that turbo spool on a diesel is sublime
sergiy'd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
fongboy
Private
 
fongboy's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 2010 335d non-sport, JBD
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: greenwich ct

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
My friend here in Puerto Rico did the muffler thing ONLY and trust me you could barely hear it, I believe that if you remove the DPF then the sound will improve if any slightly correct me on this Chris since you have done something to this effect. I forgot to mention to you he was going to put the SPRINT Booster I will call him today to see his results
Your completely right. Thanks.I guess our DPF really restricts alot of power/sound for us Maybe the d should just stay as a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
After I removed my DPF, the sound from the exhaust is different. More metalic...hard to explain.
But when driving the sound is about the same....
I know what your talking about. It def does. I really wanna hear those turbos too
I'm not looking for all around loud, just when I get on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Honestly, I would suggest that a tune should be performed over an exhaust if the pricing is an issue. From a $/hp perspective, that is a no contest. Similarly, you probably will not be able to maximize the performance return on your DPF delete, etc, investment without a tune. ...just food for thought.
Your right, I guess exhaust is kinda stupid without the correct tune. Someday though, I will get ReNNtech or Evolve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Rotor very true on this, after I made the RENNtech move my car added another 70 whp just with the flash ALONE!! The exhaust at any given car usually renders anywhere from 7-10 whp if so, unless your driving supped up 911 or GTR then its a different story but i doubt you will gain 10 whp on a DIESEL. i might be wrong on this though!!
Did you have the JBD before your ReNNtech or is that 70whp gain from stock?
Thanks for the tip though
__________________
JBD 90%, 50% Tint-Sportline CS.16 18" -3M Carbon Fiber Trim Wrap- M3 Style Trunk Lip
fongboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
FormerRotor
Major
 
FormerRotor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

Posts: 1,456
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiy'd View Post
but consider the sound you are making when you take off at the light, that turbo spool on a diesel is sublime
Agreed, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongboy View Post
Your completely right. Thanks.I guess our DPF really restricts alot of power/sound for us Maybe the d should just stay as a sleeper
...agreed more. When in doubt, I'd always rather have a car that is faster than it looks or sounds than a car that looks or sounds faster than it is.

That said, I see nothing wrong with doing JBD (lighter investment) and an exhaust for looks and maybe a touch of extra power.
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )

Last edited by FormerRotor; 01-17-2013 at 06:49 PM.
FormerRotor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
 
Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego Blue 335d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (0)

Never had JBD I always used RENNtech in my 02 MCS and now the 335d, its 70 whp gain from Stock to RENNtech
__________________
RENNtech Flash/WAGNER IC
VMR710 19"/Execuhitch Hitch/Koni FSD
Soft Ride Bike Rack
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Puerto Rican 335d is offline   Puerto Rico
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
Gardus
Private
 
Drives: Clio RS 172
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mantova/Brescia, Italy

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Hi guys, about getting some nice sound from 6+ cylinder diesels, the DPF is a real obstacle.
I've got some experience both on inline 6 BMW and V6 VAG engines.
The best solution, both for performance and sound, is to remove every silencer or DPF, and leave just a small silencer on the centre or rear section.

In the case of the 335d, the stock system, as you'll know, is composed by:
Downpipe including DPF and Ceramic cat:


The front Y-pipe goes from 70 to 2x55mm each (2x60mm on the 335i, and they include two cats)


The centre section is 2x55 before the silencer, 2x60 after (2x60 all the way on the 335i).


The muffler have 60 mm pipes, and a pressure balance connecting pipe in the middle. These are taken directly from the 335i, and that pipe is there to reduce droning on the petrol engine...no need on the diesel!


This is the view from below the car:


What I would do is fit the Supersprint downpipe, this way you'll remove the DPF and have the main difference in sound.
The only issue is that this way you need to have a ECU reflash to remove the regeneration cycles, and tune the turbo pressure and EGR to get a good power delivery and not too much smoke.


Another issue is that the car will emit COx and NOx, so a solution is to fit a cat on the exhaust line...the cheapest way is to cut the front pipes after the Y-pipe, and fit the OEM 335i front pipes that include two ceramic cats!
These will greatly reduce emission, smell and also add a bit of backpressure which is not bad for turbo spool up. They also remove any metallic sound given by long uninterrupted pipe sections. Find some used ones from people who went decat on their 335i...
You can also use the x-pipe from the 335i, removing the 335d centre silencer.


Once you have those you can fit just the racing mufflers from Supersprint (part. number 046124 + 046144)




You'll end up with a very free flowing exhaust line, sounding real nice, with low emissions and not too expensive!

Obviously you can ask Supersprint for a front Y-pipe with their metallic sport cats (very expensive) and their x-pipe, but you'll spend much more for the same result.
Gardus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
cssnms
Brigadier General
 
cssnms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

Posts: 3,182
iTrader: (4)

As you can see below, the exhaust found on the US spec 335d (2nd pic) and its' European counterpart are different.

The US spec 335d has a cat (1) to reduce the NOx, which also has a NOx sensor before and aft which triggers the DEF system. We understand what we need to do to get more sound out of our exhaust, but our challenge here in the US is the issue of reprogramming the ECU to accomodate the DPF removal. There are tuning companies such as Ecotune, but it would require removing the DME and shipping it across the pond to them in the UK - not very convenient, esp if when the DME receives a software update at the dealer.

The exhaust noise supression (thanks to the DPF and cat) is so bad in fact that you can cut the exhaust off at the mid cat effectively removing the mufflers and the entire back section of the exhaust and it makes little difference in sound.
Attached Images
  
cssnms is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
Gardus
Private
 
Drives: Clio RS 172
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mantova/Brescia, Italy

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Isn't it possible to replace the ECU software entirely with the EU spec one, possibly already tuned?
Gardus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
cssnms
Brigadier General
 
cssnms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

Posts: 3,182
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardus View Post
Isn't it possible to replace the ECU software entirely with the EU spec one, possibly already tuned?
Not likely. Our cars have a different emissions control system to include a different EGR system as well as a Urea injection system. Not to mention the price of a new DME would make it to cost prohibitive.
cssnms is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
cssnms
Brigadier General
 
cssnms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

Posts: 3,182
iTrader: (4)

Here is my exhaust....
Attached Images
  
cssnms is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #22
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
 
floydarogers's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Renton, WA

Posts: 754
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardus View Post
Isn't it possible to replace the ECU software entirely with the EU spec one, possibly already tuned?
The EU DDE for M57 engines is not the same (more powerful since it has to monitor and control more). And AFAIK all their newer N57 engines have DPF & SCR and "our" software.
floydarogers is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST