Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 255/40/17 up front - if they fit, how will they feel?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

01-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #23
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohlman View Post
I can't work out why you would want such a wide tyre for your winter set. If you want grip in snow and ice you don't want wide tyres. Also why would you want super light wheels. When winter comes so does terrible road conditions and pot holes or certainly in the UK. Thus you want the strongest wheels you can get. I buy the arguments for the summer, but for winter your car will handle worse.

I would go with what BMW designed in terms of widths for winter running. They did a lot of testing to work out what worked best.

Out of interest my winter set is 225/45/17
Thanks for responding. To be clear, I'm in Florida. It snows about once every 30 years here (and just flurries) . Our roads are pretty good, partly due to year round mild to hot weather. I run summer tires year-round.
      01-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #24
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrothwell View Post
The Conti DW in 255/40R17 is lighter than the RE050 RFT in 225/45R17. The 8.5" wheel is only a pound or two heavier than the 8" wheel.
I'm running DW all around. My guesstimate for difference in 8 vs 8.5 161's is 1 to 1.5 lbs (per the bathroom scale). Tirerack claims difference between DW 225 and 255 is three lbs, so if I stayed with DW, the increase is ~4 lbs up front. To go with DW 245/40 sq, front would gain ~3 and rear would lose ~1. To go with PSS 245/40, increase is 5 lbs and rear increase is 1.

I'd love to make the lightweight wheel play as part of this, but again, not in the budget.