E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Dash Mounted Ipad mini for non navi e9x!

01-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #23
kwsw
Major

Drives: In the slow lane

Alright here is a bit of what i used to make the mount
Im still not done but I don't wanna keep you waiting

All you need is
(2) packs of velcro industrial grade which can be bought at Lowes or Home depot for about $3 each
(1) Metal ruler bought from staples, make sure its doesnt have the cork back
which is about $3 also

If I had to make a step by step it would be

1. Brake/Cut ruler in half, I bent it back and forth till I got it to snap because I didn't have anything that could cut it here

2. Bend the 2 half rulers at the same appropriate angle to make 90 degree angle or close to 90 really up to you how you
like it mounted

3. Put fuzzy part of velcro on dash space them apart or do horizontally across your choice

4. cover rulers in prickly part inside especially since thats what sticks to the dash, I did outside just for ascetics

5. Put fuzzy strip on Ipad or what ever tablet you have make sure when you space the rulers that the space inbetween
works with the length of fuzzy on the ipad

Thats basics, another thing I did was pull the handbrake cover off and take the tray inside the middle console out , plug the aux in the run it to the left and down the side driver leg on the center console, taking the handbrake cover off makes you able to do it easy you can just tuck it in then find your way up to the upper dash trim to hide it clean.

what I would recommend is going to joanns fabric and getting just a small bit of faux leather fabric and wrapping the top of the Ruler that is exposed, I used the extra unused velcro to make it black for now so it doesn't stick out as bad. I Am also going to run a black flat 3.5mm aux cord right out of the trim where the jack is. The look of the mount when no ipad is in doesn't bug me but i think once I cover it in leather It should look good.

This is my first attempt, my next move is looking into putting in a dash from and idrive car and trying to make it work that way, if the ipad is able to fit, and running power and aux into there. then using iCloud WIFI to sync my music from my itunes.

Next option would be to get a non idrive dash and cut into it and make some sort of integration that way. A friend of mine does custom interior work and offered to do it for me along with pulling my door pockets out to adding 2 or 3 maybe 4 speakers to each door in a custom enclosure which Ive been wanting to do for a long time.

I have allot of ideas just maybe not enough skills to get them done perfectly clean! lol

well any way here are some pics and If you have any questions Ill anwser them on here as soon as I see them. Let me know what you think ---------------------------- -----------

Again this was the first attempt, I'm still trying to perfect the angle, also wanna see about removing the excess velcro that
is unneeded on the dash just to make it cleaner. It functions perfectly and the Ipad is mounted safely and securely now I am trying to make it pleasing to the eye lol

Last edited by kwsw; 01-18-2013 at 04:57 AM.
kwsw is offline   United_States
      01-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #24
bdbahh
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335i

Wow. Not bad at all. If you had like a verizon mifi hotspot in your car as well you'd be baller status.
      01-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #25
kwsw
Major

Thanks lol I have 3G model just have to get the service all hooked up and im set!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbahh View Post
Wow. Not bad at all. If you had like a verizon mifi hotspot in your car as well you'd be baller status.
      01-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #26
bdbahh
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsw View Post
Thanks lol I have 3G model just have to get the service all hooked up and im set!
Oh haha I wasn't sure since I saw the wifi mode. Baller status UNLOCKED
      01-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #27
BMW-SRT
Private First Class

Drives: 07 335i

Looks good! I have the same basic setup with a 10” android tablet, mine gets internet through my phones “hotspot”. A tablet is way better\more use than the i-drive system imo. Good job!!

The only problem with the velcro tape is if you live somewhere that gets really hot in the summer, the adhesive will slowly melt off the ruler, but as long as you change it out every couple weeks it should be fine. A couple times during the summer I opened my door to find my tablet fallen over laying on the shifter lol

This is a recent vid of mine
http://youtu.be/9PzdW-POFhA
BMW-SRT is offline   United_States
      01-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #28
KFJ512a
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW e92 335i, e60 525i M-Sport

[/quote][/quote]

CLUB LIFE!!!!
      01-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #29
zero2sixtyZ
Fighter Pilot.

Drives: with 3 pedals.

Garage List
Saw this on another thread: http://www.kudausa.com/bmw-3-e90/e91...lack-a960.html

Maybe could be of help / better structure?
zero2sixtyZ is online now   United_States
      01-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #30
kwsw
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSPEC View Post
Saw this on another thread: http://www.kudausa.com/bmw-3-e90/e91...lack-a960.html

Maybe could be of help / better structure?
I think that the kuda mount may push it out further off the dash then I want it to be. Deff something that could work and looks clean
      01-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
kwsw
Major

[/quote]

CLUB LIFE!!!![/quote]

CLUB LIFE FOREVER!
      01-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #32
///M3NACE
Banned

Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

http://www.kudausa.com/bmw-3-e90/e91...lack-a960.html

I've Had this for years now...lol Instead of an iPad though i put a 7 inch GPS unit in there. I just wanted a nice way to look at my GPS while driving safely.

Ipads are huge an bulky....iPad Mini would be pretty cool. I don't watch movies cuz its illegal and what not so my only use would be GPS anyways.
      01-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #33
pretendporsche
Private

Drives: Porsche 964 C2, 2005 E90 330i

In the process of doing exactly this.

I have a go point obd Bluetooth reader, and dash command, really like it, need to set it up properly but that will come once mounted.

As for mounts I haven't set mine up yet, but its made by a company called Brodit, they make and iPad mini holder and also do a mount specifically for e9x which mounts without screwing or sticking anything to the dash.

Will post pics once I've mounted mine.
pretendporsche is offline   United Kingdom
      01-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #34
kwsw
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendporsche
In the process of doing exactly this.

I have a go point obd Bluetooth reader, and dash command, really like it, need to set it up properly but that will come once mounted.

As for mounts I haven't set mine up yet, but its made by a company called Brodit, they make and iPad mini holder and also do a mount specifically for e9x which mounts without screwing or sticking anything to the dash.

Will post pics once I've mounted mine.
I have been looking into aux to Bluetooth adapters , but I'm afraid I'm gonna lose sound quality, how does it sound with it?
      01-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #35
Taran.J
Youtube.com/Taran861 ModMyEuro.com

Drives: '07 e90 328i & multiple Merc's

Send a message via Skype™ to Taran.J
I have my full iPad in my car and I use the belkin Bluetooth with mic the v2 and I haven't lost any sound quality.

Taran.J is offline   United_States
      01-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #36
cchong4
Captain

Drives: e92 328i

Garage List
2010 328i  [0.00]
Looks like a great idea. Roads here are pretty bumpy id be afraid the Velcro wouldnt hold the mini too well. Hows it been for you?
      01-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #37
kwsw
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J
I have my full iPad in my car and I use the belkin Bluetooth with mic the v2 and I haven't lost any sound quality.
I have a sound system and I heard you lose bass that's what I don't wanna lose
      01-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #38
kwsw
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verve
Looks like a great idea. Roads here are pretty bumpy id be afraid the Velcro wouldnt hold the mini too well. Hows it been for you?
It's really sturdy don't think it would come off , and I'm from New Jersey I've seen some bad roads lol
      01-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #39
Taran.J
Youtube.com/Taran861 ModMyEuro.com

Drives: '07 e90 328i & multiple Merc's

Send a message via Skype™ to Taran.J
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J
I have a sound system and I heard you lose bass that's what I don't wanna lose
Not really all I listen to is rap, hip hop and Bhangra and it hasn't impacted my system whatsoever.

Taran.J is offline   United_States
      01-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #40
KFJ512a
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW e92 335i, e60 525i M-Sport

Quote:
It's really sturdy don't think it would come off , and I'm from New Jersey I've seen some bad roads lol
lol have you ever been to boston?! i swear just from driving on certain areas of the pike my gps will fall off the window suction mount thing. and the city its self... i cant go faster than 20 mph otherwise i will fuck up my 19s.
      01-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #41
kwsw
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFJ512a View Post
lol have you ever been to boston?! i swear just from driving on certain areas of the pike my gps will fall off the window suction mount thing. and the city its self... i cant go faster than 20 mph otherwise i will fuck up my 19s.

I have been to boston some roads in NJ/NY would be better unpaved I feel like im driving in a safari , Ive pancake cracked OEM wheels on 2 different occasions , I really think the mount can handle it atleast It would take a ditch in the road
      01-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #42
kwsw
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
Not really all I listen to is rap, hip hop and Bhangra and it hasn't impacted my system whatsoever.
Thats encouraging I gave up on bluetooth because I thought id lose quality, Im gonna check out a belkin
      01-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #43
kwsw
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verve View Post
My bro goes to UF I go to gainesville allot , the velcro can handle it no problem if you get a good connection
      01-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #44
cchong4
Captain

Drives: e92 328i

Garage List
2010 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
My bro goes to UF I go to gainesville allot , the velcro can handle it no problem if you get a good connection
alright go gators! lol
it'd be nice to see another bimmer here but i rarely see any modded ones.