E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Alpine Hifi upgrade



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #859
Per Hansson
Private
 
Drives: BMW 325 E90 '06
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden

Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
It is hi-fi coding and done for Alpine kit as well.

It does not affect NAV at all. About PDC, it is bit random. 8/10 cars no issues.

I had only 2 cars on which PDC gongs were reduced. And no body has done it, but I managed to code gongs back to its normal volume while retaining the hi-fi codings on one car (07) whereas on the other car, I could not.
I find this to be really strange.
I mean the coding to HiFi makes all outputs normalized if I've understood it right.
And since the rear speakers are the only speakers still driven by the headunit with the Alpine retrofit it is very logical that their volume is reduced.
But then it would be the same for all cars getting coded...

Can you answer me the question quoted below?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Hansson View Post
When coding the car to remove the equalization done, which connector on the filter should be used then?
Or is the "Plug & Play" cabling for the newer E90's without this filter all together so that's why they require coding?
Per Hansson is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #860
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,087
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Hansson
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
It is hi-fi coding and done for Alpine kit as well.

It does not affect NAV at all. About PDC, it is bit random. 8/10 cars no issues.

I had only 2 cars on which PDC gongs were reduced. And no body has done it, but I managed to code gongs back to its normal volume while retaining the hi-fi codings on one car (07) whereas on the other car, I could not.
I find this to be really strange.
I mean the coding to HiFi makes all outputs normalized if I've understood it right.
And since the rear speakers are the only speakers still driven by the headunit with the Alpine retrofit it is very logical that their volume is reduced.
But then it would be the same for all cars getting coded...

Can you answer me the question quoted below?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Hansson View Post
When coding the car to remove the equalization done, which connector on the filter should be used then?
Or is the "Plug & Play" cabling for the newer E90's without this filter all together so that's why they require coding?
I am really sorry as I have not installed the kit yet, so cannot answer the question.
As far as coding is concerned, you will be amazed how many things are possible just with coding.
One example is BFD (see coders in UK thread).
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #861
badsha
Private
 
badsha's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90 318d 2006
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Norway

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

One easy question fellows!

will this alpine fit my car?

i have a bmw e90 318d 2006 mod with Hifi profesional with full navi!

i have upgraded all the speakers from BSW, but im feeling the same sound... is there anything u guys recomend me to get moore power out of them?

i dont want to cut the orginal wires ec.. so question is will the Alpine woork with my car in anyway?

i have this amp today

badsha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #862
djbordie
Private
 
Drives: 2011 bmw 323i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada!

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

i spoke with my dealer, they can do the kit for 490 canadian $
they also confirmed the HU does not need re coding.

I have a 2011 323i (sedan)

not sure if that makes a diffy

but considering i cant find the kit for any cheaper online, dealer is a decent option. Also this DOES NOT VOID warantee. for anyone questioning that...im on lease and will buyout the car after probably.

im still nervous about the re-code, can anyone explain why some need and some dont?

PDF says bmw with option 662 no re code needed (bmw business radio), i have option 663A (bmw pro radio)
I think they are the same base crap with fancy name though, cant confirm.
the BMW pdf install manual says no code needed, but others say post 09 do need...so wtf.

Last edited by djbordie; 10-24-2012 at 06:18 AM.
djbordie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #863
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,087
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbordie View Post
i spoke with my dealer, they can do the kit for 490 canadian $
they also confirmed the HU does not need re coding.

I have a 2011 323i (sedan)

not sure if that makes a diffy

but considering i cant find the kit for any cheaper online, dealer is a decent option. Also this DOES NOT VOID warantee. for anyone questioning that...im on lease and will buyout the car after probably.

im still nervous about the re-code, can anyone explain why some need and some dont?
Follow what your dealer says. You do not want to void your warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbordie View Post
PDF says bmw with option 662 no re code needed (bmw business radio), i have option 663A (bmw pro radio)
I think they are the same base crap with fancy name though, cant confirm.
the BMW pdf install manual says no code needed, but others say post 09 do need...so wtf.
There is some difference b/w 662 and 663.
662 cannot be coded to hi-fi as that headunit cannot handle the requirements of hi-fi sound system.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #864
djbordie
Private
 
Drives: 2011 bmw 323i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada!

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

So im good to go...just need to source a good dealer price for the re code.

local stealer said $200+ lol!

i guess thats settled then.

and ideally find a dealer to give me a crazy discount on the system.

500+13% tax so far best price

So can anyone do remote update to hifi or anything? (or USB even?)
Or am i stuck with shop rates...

Last edited by djbordie; 10-24-2012 at 11:03 AM.
djbordie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #865
Hope
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 332
iTrader: (2)

Bit of a strange problem, hoping someone can point me in the right direction!

Since fitting this all works 100% fine when listening to music but for some reason when I use the built in handsfree/BMW Info Plus the left speakers crackle :S

Any ideas? Its really bizarre!
Hope is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #866
Seaniboy
New Member
 
Drives: 335d M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kent

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Hi

I have fitted the alpine kit to my car and also coded it to hifi but one thing I notice is the bass is massively reduced after coding?

I have the pro unit and have fitted the same kit to my mates car but that has the Idrive and after coding that the bass is reduced a bit but nothing like mine.

I did switch the amp to 1 and there was a slight increase but not much. Any ideas?
Seaniboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #867
matt96
New Member
 
Drives: e90 325i SE manual
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SE London

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

LCi 325i Business Nav- coding required?

Hi

Sorry, I am sure that this has been covered already but am on a steep learning curve here.

I recently bought a September 2009 325i SE with business nav (one cd slot and usb in the glovebox, no usb in the armrest) and the basic stereo with no tweeters. The sound was... dire! The dealer gave me a good price on the alpine retrofit, but fitted it according to the instructions.

I don't think it has been coded as it still sounds EQ'd. I have had to turn the bass down a bit and the treble a lot to make it sound ok. Alert noises, bluetooth, nav and the PDC all sound fine.

The dealer said it doesn't need to be coded. Reading on here makes me think that it does need to be coded to 'hifi'. If the dealer won't do it, then what are my options? I am in SE London.

Many thanks

Matt

Last edited by matt96; 05-12-2013 at 03:03 PM.
matt96 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #868
zorglubxx
New Member
 
zorglubxx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E91 Touring
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Amsterdam, NL

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

I've had a similar situation - a 2010 with business nav. I got the dealer to install the Alpine retrofit. When I got it, the sound was just terrible. I brought it back to the dealer and he fixed it. The problem is that I am not entirely sure what they did. They said they had just missed connecting one cable but I am not sure if that was the truth. In any case it now sounds very nice and a great improvement over the basic kit. So if I were you I would push them on getting this fixed.
zorglubxx is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #869
matt96
New Member
 
Drives: e90 325i SE manual
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SE London

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Thanks zorglubxx

My bet is that they connected the cables around the wrong way like they did with mine, as they follow the instructions bmw give them and the cables are also mislabelled.

It does sound a lot better, but I have a feeling that there is more to be gained from it as sometimes you get a lot more bass than you would expect at certain frequencies- which makes me think that there is still some equalisation going on somewhere.

I would go back to the dealers but they are a) 350 km away and b) utterly useless!

Cheers

M
matt96 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #870
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,087
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt96 View Post
I don't think it has been coded as it still sounds EQ'd. I have had to turn the bass down a bit and the treble a lot to make it sound ok. Alert noises, bluetooth, nav and the PDC all sound fine.

The dealer said it doesn't need to be coded. Reading on here makes me think that it does need to be coded to 'hifi'. If the dealer won't do it, then what are my options? I am in SE London.

Many thanks

Matt
See Coding section and whoever is closer to you, worth of giving him a shout.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #871
matt96
New Member
 
Drives: e90 325i SE manual
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SE London

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Dear makkan

Thanks- ill do just that- I think it may well be you! :-)

M
matt96 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #872
Per Hansson
Private
 
Drives: BMW 325 E90 '06
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden

Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

Despite recommendations earlier in this thread to not install the Logic 7 subwoofers with the Alpine sub I did just that.
I can say the upgrade is well worth it, the car sounds really sweet now!
I bought the L7 subwoofers on eBay, they came out of a 335i '08
It was a perfect match, just plug and play.
A small installation tip is to loosen all 4 Torx bolts that hold the chair but DO NOT remove the cables under the chair, next move it all the way to the front.
Thus when you lean the chair back on the rear seat it will be standing quite a bit from the floor leaving you plenty of room to work with...
Attached Images
 
Per Hansson is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #873
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,087
iTrader: (48)

Per
I have no idea who recommended not to go for L7 subs with Alpine retrofit kit.

I have tried and tested them and they are improvement over standard 6.5 inch drivers.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #874
Per Hansson
Private
 
Drives: BMW 325 E90 '06
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden

Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

makkan: It might have all been in my head, I tried to find the info but could not, maybe I mixed up the posts talking about the Earthquake vs L7 subs...

But in the end I'm very happy with my L7 subs, paid US $250 for the pair plus shipping & import taxes, but that's still a bargain with the US Dollar so weak against the Swedish Krona
Per Hansson is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #875
S109
New Member
 
Drives: e91 330d M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt96 View Post
Dear makkan

Thanks- ill do just that- I think it may well be you! :-)

M
did you ever find someone in SE London to code for you? I checked your post in the coders thread but didn't see anyone come back to you... My upgrade kit arrived today, hoping to get it installed this weekend.

Any suggestions/help where to get it coded greatly appreciated..!
S109 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #876
AdrianSi
Second Lieutenant
 
AdrianSi's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330d LCi MSport
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Midlands, UK

Posts: 228
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Per
I have no idea who recommended not to go for L7 subs with Alpine retrofit kit.

I have tried and tested them and they are improvement over standard 6.5 inch drivers.
Indeed, my personal feeling is that the Alpine amp is over driving my L7's.
__________________

E90 330d - N57
Prof Nav - 6FL - Visability Pack - Alpine Hi-Fi Upgrade - L7 Subwoofers - L7 rear mids + tweeters - 6FL
AdrianSi is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #877
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,087
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S109
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt96 View Post
Dear makkan

Thanks- ill do just that- I think it may well be you! :-)

M
did you ever find someone in SE London to code for you? I checked your post in the coders thread but didn't see anyone come back to you... My upgrade kit arrived today, hoping to get it installed this weekend.

Any suggestions/help where to get it coded greatly appreciated..!
Not sure mate.
You may wish to travel to Essex or Dartford to get it done by me.

HTH.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #878
S109
New Member
 
Drives: e91 330d M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: London

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Makkan, thanks for the offer, greatly appreciated. I'll PM you to discuss...
S109 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #879
markymark34
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 325d M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NI

Posts: 246
iTrader: (0)

anyone got an up to date price for the kit for an e90? Will go to local dealers but they tend to be more expensive than the mainland.
Would like a good figure to try and get them to match.

cheers
markymark34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #880
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 7,087
iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark34 View Post
anyone got an up to date price for the kit for an e90? Will go to local dealers but they tend to be more expensive than the mainland.
Would like a good figure to try and get them to match.

cheers
check ebay item no:
110878214627

You will require tweeter housings additional to that.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
alpine

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST