E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > EFR GTi vs FBO 335's



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #23
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
50
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: City of Angels

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to SfValley335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
I am sorry, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do about the flatline issue running Cobb only. It's a sore point for me because I've done close to 100 datalogs trying to fix it with no avail. There is a way to make it slightly better at the expense of throttle position, in both ATP or ATR, but if you have a 6AT, stay away from Cobb only if you care about real-world performance.

But yes, I experienced first-hand what timing flatline does to a car (ran my friend's C63 with an OE tune, we are close to even until I shift into 5th and he proceeds to put 3 car lengths on me from say 125-155). I also ran laloosh aka Clap135 at the drag strip, dead even until I shift into 4th, then he puts 2 cars on me.

But sure, no one ever cared, sigh. Imagine how I felt after dealing with this for over two years.

Why do you still run a cobb tune if it doesnt perform so great? Or why havent you stacked a jb4 on?

Thats like having a jb4 g4 and saying you dont need to update cause it runs fine even though your throwing codes lol
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #24
themyst
Major General
themyst's Avatar
South Korea
86
Rep
6,602
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
Why do you still run a cobb tune if it doesnt perform so great? Or why havent you stacked a jb4 on?

Thats like having a jb4 g4 and saying you dont need to update cause it runs fine even though your throwing codes lol
I am running JB4 ISO + Cobb (BMS Flash) Thanks for caring though!
__________________
E90 LCI N54 6AT
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #25
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
25
Rep
1,708
Posts

 
Drives: pickemuptruck
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (7)

I have an idea on flat-lining, but I need a guinea pig.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #26
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
243
Rep
18,328
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Cobb car needs to stack JB4 to fix that little issue he is having.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
I am sorry, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do about the flatline issue running Cobb only. It's a sore point for me because I've done close to 100 datalogs trying to fix it with no avail. There is a way to make it slightly better at the expense of throttle position, in both ATP or ATR, but if you have a 6AT, stay away from Cobb only if you care about real-world performance.

But yes, I experienced first-hand what timing flatline does to a car (ran my friend's C63 with an OE tune, we are close to even until I shift into 5th and he proceeds to put 3 car lengths on me from say 125-155). I also ran laloosh aka Clap135 at the drag strip, dead even until I shift into 4th, then he puts 2 cars on me.

But sure, no one ever cared, sigh. Imagine how I felt after dealing with this for over two years.
Sheesh I'm surprised they (Cobb) havn't fixed it?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #27
themyst
Major General
themyst's Avatar
South Korea
86
Rep
6,602
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Sheesh I'm surprised they (Cobb) havn't fixed it?
Indeed. It's frustrating to lose races because of a tuning issue that can't be directly fixed.
__________________
E90 LCI N54 6AT
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #28
litz4244
Second Lieutenant
litz4244's Avatar
6
Rep
292
Posts

 
Drives: e90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: delaware

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Indeed. It's frustrating to lose races because of a tuning issue that can't be directly fixed.
Your car is still flat lining?
__________________
03 z06 402 iron block and vortec t trim 782whp 650 wtq 8.5 psi

07 335 fbo and meth and rb turbos 470whp 460wtq 17psi 11.7@124 full weight sold.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
JStang
N54 ADDICT
JStang's Avatar
48
Rep
3,043
Posts

 
Drives: FBO E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
I am sorry, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do about the flatline issue running Cobb only. It's a sore point for me because I've done close to 100 datalogs trying to fix it with no avail. There is a way to make it slightly better at the expense of throttle position, in both ATP or ATR, but if you have a 6AT, stay away from Cobb only if you care about real-world performance.

But yes, I experienced first-hand what timing flatline does to a car (ran my friend's C63 with an OE tune, we are close to even until I shift into 5th and he proceeds to put 3 car lengths on me from say 125-155). I also ran laloosh aka Clap135 at the drag strip, dead even until I shift into 4th, then he puts 2 cars on me.

But sure, no one ever cared, sigh. Imagine how I felt after dealing with this for over two years.
Rumor has it that they are working on it. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
Fully_Bolted
Banned
6
Rep
443
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I'm a little shocked the GTI wasn't faster... That turbo can move some air in the right application. I guess I'm used to seeing Hondas actually make power.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #31
themyst
Major General
themyst's Avatar
South Korea
86
Rep
6,602
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by litz4244 View Post
Your car is still flat lining?
not since I'm stacking JB4 ISO + Cobb. Works great now.
__________________
E90 LCI N54 6AT
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #32
themyst
Major General
themyst's Avatar
South Korea
86
Rep
6,602
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Rumor has it that they are working on it. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
They've been "working on it" since last summer. I suppose you can wait and have a poor running 6AT, or get a JB4 and have the car running the way it should now. If you somehow prefer running Cobb only and they fix it at a later date, sell the JB4 when that happens (if ever).
__________________
E90 LCI N54 6AT
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #33
Stucks
Major
Stucks's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,467
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montgomery County, MD

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
You're a tool. And I explained why on the other forum last night even after you did your ninja editing...
Lol I don't go multi trolling on several different forums. The gti owner corrected you after you didn't read, themyst corrected you on the topic of protunes flatlining, themyst clarified that I don't need the iso upgrade to run the flatline fix so cutting the diodes (as you critisized me about) might not solve my issue....what's next? i have the wrong downpipes? lol Just give it a rest buddy.
__________________
Current: 2008 e92 335i coupe.
Previous: 2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe: AEM V2, zex 75 wet shot (sold)

Last edited by Stucks; 01-21-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #34
Stucks
Major
Stucks's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,467
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montgomery County, MD

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully_Bolted View Post
I'm a little shocked the GTI wasn't faster... That turbo can move some air in the right application. I guess I'm used to seeing Hondas actually make power.
In the gti's defense, he was only running 22 pounds. He said he was capable of running up to 30 pounds with a retune, but i'd imagine on about 25 or 26 pounds he would gain enough to walk our 335i's rather easily on 93 octane+meth.
__________________
Current: 2008 e92 335i coupe.
Previous: 2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe: AEM V2, zex 75 wet shot (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #35
litz4244
Second Lieutenant
litz4244's Avatar
6
Rep
292
Posts

 
Drives: e90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: delaware

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
not since I'm stacking JB4 ISO + Cobb. Works great now.
Thats good to hear man. Get the rbs back yet?
__________________
03 z06 402 iron block and vortec t trim 782whp 650 wtq 8.5 psi

07 335 fbo and meth and rb turbos 470whp 460wtq 17psi 11.7@124 full weight sold.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #36
JStang
N54 ADDICT
JStang's Avatar
48
Rep
3,043
Posts

 
Drives: FBO E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
They've been "working on it" since last summer. I suppose you can wait and have a poor running 6AT, or get a JB4 and have the car running the way it should now. If you somehow prefer running Cobb only and they fix it at a later date, sell the JB4 when that happens (if ever).
I am in the process of getting pro tuned so I won't be dumping my Cobb any time soon. I can live with it for now (assuming the fix is in the near future). I'm not a track junky nor do I drive like I'm on the track in normal traffic so it doesn't affect me 99% of the time.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #37
themyst
Major General
themyst's Avatar
South Korea
86
Rep
6,602
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
I am in the process of getting pro tuned so I won't be dumping my Cobb any time soon. I can live with it for now (assuming the fix is in the near future). I'm not a track junky nor do I drive like I'm on the track in normal traffic so it doesn't affect me 99% of the time.
Flatlining isn't overly noticeable via the butt dyno when you're just doing WOT blasts on a highway or anything, but if you do ANY form of competitive racing (legal or not) you will notice the difference.

Just look at the video in the OP, that could be you.

My honest opinion, the fix isn't coming in the near future because it requires 1. new tables to be exposed 2. TCU reprogramming.
__________________
E90 LCI N54 6AT
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #38
Zhijjawi10
New Member
0
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 vw GTI
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Hey everyone, I'm the GTI owner. It was great to see where I stand compared to some very quick bmw's. There will be re runs soon. I was on 22psi in this video. I will try 23 next time My tune is poor above 19psi. Anything above 19 and I have to spray a good amount of meth to stop from running lean past 5500-6k rpm.
Can't wait until these two bimmers are running 100% so there's no BS to discuss.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #39
themyst
Major General
themyst's Avatar
South Korea
86
Rep
6,602
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhijjawi10 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm the GTI owner. It was great to see where I stand compared to some very quick bmw's. There will be re runs soon. I was on 22psi in this video. I will try 23 next time My tune is poor above 19psi. Anything above 19 and I have to spray a good amount of meth to stop from running lean past 5500-6k rpm.
Can't wait until these two bimmers are running 100% so there's no BS to discuss.
I believe there's an RB turbo 335i without any timing issues in your neck of the woods. I beleive litz4244 is local to you guys as well.
__________________
E90 LCI N54 6AT
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #40
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
243
Rep
18,328
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Flatlining isn't overly noticeable via the butt dyno when you're just doing WOT blasts on a highway or anything, but if you do ANY form of competitive racing (legal or not) you will notice the difference.

Just look at the video in the OP, that could be you.

My honest opinion, the fix isn't coming in the near future because it requires 1. new tables to be exposed 2. TCU reprogramming.
True story.

Most people generally rip 2nd or 3rd gear on the highway at most and call it a day.

However, in a sustained pull rowing through all the gears flat lining timing makes a huge difference in the performance of the run, compared to a single gear pull.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #41
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
50
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: City of Angels

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to SfValley335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhijjawi10 View Post
Can't wait until these two bimmers are running 100% so there's no BS to discuss.
Amen! Dont need to hear all these reasons, CEL or timing. If your car isnt running in its best condition then dont race. Let alone racing with old software/tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #42
Stucks
Major
Stucks's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,467
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montgomery County, MD

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
I believe there's an RB turbo 335i without any timing issues in your neck of the woods.
Yes indeed, we will bring him out next time!
__________________
Current: 2008 e92 335i coupe.
Previous: 2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe: AEM V2, zex 75 wet shot (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #43
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
50
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: City of Angels

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to SfValley335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stucks View Post
Lol I don't go multi trolling on several different forums. The gti owner corrected you after you didn't read, themyst corrected you on the topic of protunes flatlining, themyst clarified that I don't need the iso upgrade to run the flatline fix so cutting the diodes (as you critisized me about) might not solve my issue....what's next? i have the wrong downpipes? lol Just give it a rest buddy.
Kiddo, Why are you talking about flat lining now haha

Youre the idiot that knowingly runs a tune that causes overboost CEL. You have a g5 board but wont update it to iso cause your happy the way it runs now...

Not sure why your spreading your lies on this forum now, after I told you to PM me on the other...

Im done with you.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #44
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
50
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: City of Angels

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to SfValley335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
True story.

Most people generally rip 2nd or 3rd gear on the highway at most and call it a day.

However, in a sustained pull rowing through all the gears flat lining timing makes a huge difference in the performance of the run, compared to a single gear pull.
Highway pulls usually means 60-120/ 130
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST