E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: BMW Short Shift Kit (SSK) for 335i

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
jahwerx's Avatar DIY: BMW Short Shift Kit (SSK) for 335i
jahwerx
12-20-2007
This is a DIY in 6 parts
DIY: BMW Short Shift Kit (SSK) for 335i

BMW Part number: 25110430357
Parts Included
• Sort Shift Lever
• Nylon Shift Lever Bearing
• Circlip
• Performance Knob (Weighted, Metal/Alcantara...
By JimVR4 on 02-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
Average 93%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk502 View Post
I finished the install this morning, I did the shift arm as well. I had access to a lift so that made things a lot easier. Two tips for you guys tackeling this on your own. Getting the new shift arm is a PITA, but I came up with a solution that makes it easier. Take a tie-down and wrap it around the drive shaft twice. I had two guys pull to one side (drivers side) and I was able to push/slide the new shift arm up on the passenger side. The shaft probably only moved a couple of mm but that was enough. The second big thing that was even more of a PITA than the shift arm, was getting the shift bearing (#5 in the oem diagram) clipped back in to place. It was very hard to get the amount of leverage required to clip it in to place. I was fianlly able to get it in with the help of another guy, i held it in place while he pushed it in place with a large pry bar. All in all, the instuctions laid out in this post were excellant and it took about 2 hours. I love how the new shifter feels
That's great but can you say why you changed the shift arm. How did it feel before the change?
By Tk502 on 03-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
That's great but can you say why you changed the shift arm. How did it feel before the change?
As far as why I did the shift arm, I guess I wanted to do a complete install, so I just ordered the BMW SSK kit which comes with everything you need. I also had access to a lift which made things much easier. I would have been a little more hesitant to do this without a lift. I only have 31k on my '09 so I didn't have much play in the lever to begin with. After the install, I did notice a decrease in throw and it takes a little bit more force to get it in gear, which I like.
By JimVR4 on 03-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Member reviews
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
80%80%80%
Average 93%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk502 View Post
As far as why I did the shift arm, I guess I wanted to do a complete install, so I just ordered the BMW SSK kit which comes with everything you need. I also had access to a lift which made things much easier. I would have been a little more hesitant to do this without a lift. I only have 31k on my '09 so I didn't have much play in the lever to begin with. After the install, I did notice a decrease in throw and it takes a little bit more force to get it in gear, which I like.
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if there was any real difference to the shift arms. I'm happy with mine too. I updated my previous post with some pictures of 1st and 2nd so you can see how far the throws are now.
By JYohay on 03-11-2012, 02:59 AM
Awesome writup
By Kellen on 12-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Just did this. Took under an hour. Really easy, don't be afraid of doing it. I went through the top. Mine was a 2009 328xi.

Only thing I would add is:
1. Keep the orientation of the boot correct and pay attention to how far up it is on your old knob to keep it at the same height. I left it on while removing the old one, just flip it up and over the top of the shifting stalk, it will hold it.

2. No need for string or glue. I bought the C clip from tischer, it was the same model. I knocked the old one off easily, heard it hit the ground. Old one slid on just as easy and is tight.

3. Angled so the V in the shifter has the point towards the rear. The other way was off.
By Manny_World on 01-21-2013, 05:45 PM
What about the shifting arm? Noticed this wasn't in this or any other DIY instructions.
By frankthetoad on 03-11-2014, 09:54 AM
What grease is appropriate to use on the ball joint of the shift lever? I suspect I used the wrong kind.
By frankthetoad on 03-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Anyone? White lithium grease?
By frankthetoad on 03-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Bump
Comment