E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread (#4)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #837
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
GewoW's Avatar
Greece
69
Rep
3,839
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
this is what i am not clear about... how do you suck the fluid through the engine bay? you just pour it into the air intake !?
i think u put in oil and keep it for a bit then change oil
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #838
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Pseudo Nim's Avatar
55
Rep
4,738
Posts

 
Drives: fast, sometimes slow
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: i am a citizen of the world

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
lol... wtf???

and why the heck would you even want to reflash your mini??! what do you mean the ECU files were too old ?
I was tweaking the instrument cluster config... but the config files off which I was working were old - and the damn dealer flashed my ECU to the latest version that was dated mid-November 2012. Let's just say it was not easy to find this "in the wild", considering even my BMW contacts didn't have access to it... but nothing is impossible on the Internet. So I finally unscrewed it and it runs fine now.

The lesson I learned from this... I think there is no way you can fuck up feature coding you'd have to do something *pretty bad* to mess it up if even coding with wrong files just creates several hours of uncontrollable amusement as the worst side effect.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #839
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Pseudo Nim's Avatar
55
Rep
4,738
Posts

 
Drives: fast, sometimes slow
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: i am a citizen of the world

iTrader: (9)

So yo... assuming one could go with 235 width on either 18" or 19" and assuming tire cost was roughly the same (within $10 between the two) for precisely the same tire model, which one is better for the track?

I'm going to posit the 18, since necessarily a similar wheel and tire will weigh less, but is that a completely insignificant difference?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #840
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
GewoW's Avatar
Greece
69
Rep
3,839
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
So yo... assuming one could go with 235 width on either 18" or 19" and assuming tire cost was roughly the same (within $10 between the two) for precisely the same tire model, which one is better for the track?

I'm going to posit the 18, since necessarily a similar wheel and tire will weigh less, but is that a completely insignificant difference?
pretty sure a 19 inch wheel with the smaller sidewall would be more responsive to steering inputs if weights were similar.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #841
Chrisred
Captain
Chrisred's Avatar
Canada
12
Rep
738
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (0)

For seafoam use the vacuum line that goes from diverter valves into intake manifold.

U keep revving engine around 2000rpm while someone else holds the liquid and hose in a cup. I used about 3/4 of seafoam bottle. The rest in gas tank. Then drove around for a bit. Car never misfired since then
__________________
JB4 cp-e IC AMS exhaust BMS DCI AR DP's METH
19" VMR VB3 Stoptech BBK TC KLINE VORSHLAG
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #842
montreal red
chris
montreal red's Avatar
Canada
146
Rep
12,127
Posts

 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
I was tweaking the instrument cluster config... but the config files off which I was working were old - and the damn dealer flashed my ECU to the latest version that was dated mid-November 2012. Let's just say it was not easy to find this "in the wild", considering even my BMW contacts didn't have access to it... but nothing is impossible on the Internet. So I finally unscrewed it and it runs fine now.

The lesson I learned from this... I think there is no way you can fuck up feature coding you'd have to do something *pretty bad* to mess it up if even coding with wrong files just creates several hours of uncontrollable amusement as the worst side effect.
so what cool features did you put into the mini with the new config ? i am always amazed at what you can do to a car with a lap top. lol.

18inch tires are better for track cos the 18" wheels generally weigh less than 19" wheels... note, this is assuming you compare two wheels of the same make and model. you DO lose some turn-in precision (as george mentioned) when going with 18s instead of 19s but i think lower weight would be more obvious to the average driver than the loss in precision.

oh and 18s are better for our 3rd world roads in montreal... you wont bend rims so easily. only downside is that it limits you if you have a bbk in mind for the future.
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)

Last edited by montreal red; 01-22-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #843
montreal red
chris
montreal red's Avatar
Canada
146
Rep
12,127
Posts

 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
i think u put in oil and keep it for a bit then change oil
yea i have heard of this method of putting seafoam into the car. it seems like you can put seafoam anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisred View Post
For seafoam use the vacuum line that goes from diverter valves into intake manifold.

U keep revving engine around 2000rpm while someone else holds the liquid and hose in a cup. I used about 3/4 of seafoam bottle. The rest in gas tank. Then drove around for a bit. Car never misfired since then
awesome! this was what i was wondering about. i am guessing the diverter valves creates a vacuum pressure that will suck the fluid into the intake? good to know!

seems like this seafoam stuff is pretty effective. i have been reading other forums as well and it looks like others have had good experiences with it too.
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #844
Beemw335
Colonel
29
Rep
2,016
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: My car is my home

iTrader: (2)

The n54 is direct injection, so seafoam wont do anything to the intake valves. Eventually a manual scrubbing/walnut blasting is needed for carbon buildup in the intake valves.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #845
Chrisred
Captain
Chrisred's Avatar
Canada
12
Rep
738
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335
The n54 is direct injection, so seafoam wont do anything to the intake valves. Eventually a manual scrubbing/walnut blasting is needed for carbon buildup in the intake valves.
That's what some say....worked for me so I'm happy :-)
__________________
JB4 cp-e IC AMS exhaust BMS DCI AR DP's METH
19" VMR VB3 Stoptech BBK TC KLINE VORSHLAG
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #846
moreno1
Lieutenant
moreno1's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
587
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i E93
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335
The n54 is direct injection, so seafoam wont do anything to the intake valves. Eventually a manual scrubbing/walnut blasting is needed for carbon buildup in the intake valves.
Beemw335
I have been trying to PM you for over a month but your box is full! It's regarding the USB for the JB4! PM me back or txt/call 514-951-6387. Thanks
__________________
2009 335i E93 /// BSM /// Sport /// Premium /// Codings : bmwmtlcode@hotmail.com /// 19" M pack 225 wheels /// M6 wheels winter set /// 35% Tint /// Gloss Black Grills /// PE Exhaust /// Lux H8 V3 /// Interior LEDs /// JB4-DCI /// Combox & CIC Retrofit /// M3 side skirts /// M3 front bumper ///
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #847
M3 Montreal
Colonel
30
Rep
2,188
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal , Canada

iTrader: (0)

Happy new year everyone!!

__________________
2012 E92-M3 Space Grey on Fox Red, DCT

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #848
kenneth
Major General
kenneth's Avatar
Canada
88
Rep
8,674
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
Happy new year everyone!!

Thank you! What took you so long?
__________________
SB, Terra, 6MT. Only a few mods here and there.....nothing extreme!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #849
kenneth
Major General
kenneth's Avatar
Canada
88
Rep
8,674
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
I was tweaking the instrument cluster config... but the config files off which I was working were old - and the damn dealer flashed my ECU to the latest version that was dated mid-November 2012. Let's just say it was not easy to find this "in the wild", considering even my BMW contacts didn't have access to it... but nothing is impossible on the Internet. So I finally unscrewed it and it runs fine now.

The lesson I learned from this... I think there is no way you can fuck up feature coding you'd have to do something *pretty bad* to mess it up if even coding with wrong files just creates several hours of uncontrollable amusement as the worst side effect.
Is there any machine that you own that is not modded?
__________________
SB, Terra, 6MT. Only a few mods here and there.....nothing extreme!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #850
kenneth
Major General
kenneth's Avatar
Canada
88
Rep
8,674
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
i think u put in oil and keep it for a bit then change oil
Not sure that adding it to oil will clean the intake valves and intake tracts. As someone mentioned, I think sucking it in through the intake air is more likely to pass it through the intake valves and tracts.
__________________
SB, Terra, 6MT. Only a few mods here and there.....nothing extreme!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #851
kenneth
Major General
kenneth's Avatar
Canada
88
Rep
8,674
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
So yo... assuming one could go with 235 width on either 18" or 19" and assuming tire cost was roughly the same (within $10 between the two) for precisely the same tire model, which one is better for the track?

I'm going to posit the 18, since necessarily a similar wheel and tire will weigh less, but is that a completely insignificant difference?
19" would be a killer on the MINI. You might need to soften the suspension for the sizzling hot look
__________________
SB, Terra, 6MT. Only a few mods here and there.....nothing extreme!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #852
kenneth
Major General
kenneth's Avatar
Canada
88
Rep
8,674
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (16)

Car hunting

Porsche Cayman out
Corvette out, unless I put an aftermarket engine in it.

__________________
SB, Terra, 6MT. Only a few mods here and there.....nothing extreme!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #853
kenneth
Major General
kenneth's Avatar
Canada
88
Rep
8,674
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanosracing View Post
To Ken, did you consider a 135i and stripping the car for track purpose? It is a nice chassis, compact with a powerful engine. I find the 1 Series Coupe to be a modern day E30 but with many more modern day amenities.

If you have cash lying around, get a 1M.
The 135 would have been better than the 335, due to a weight advantage. However, need to be heavily modified (suspension, brakes, LSD and cooling). 1M could have been good, as it comes better prepared for the above quoted issues.

I am trying to stay away from stripping, roll cage etc. as I am not looking to truck the car around, I will be doing maximum of 10 days per year. To date my average is 5-6 days a year.

So the objective is to look for a track-oriented car (sports car), as opposed to a sporty car that needs modding.
__________________
SB, Terra, 6MT. Only a few mods here and there.....nothing extreme!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #854
overkill1125
Captain
overkill1125's Avatar
Canada
16
Rep
674
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (4)

I just wanted to know if this is a good price for a 2009 335xi with premium package in manual with 73K KM Space Grey. The car is not CPO and was thinking of maybe going to BMW and buying the extended warranty if possible.

$25K + taxes.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #855
jgalaxy
Gearing
jgalaxy's Avatar
Canada
40
Rep
3,799
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
The 135 would have been better than the 335, due to a weight advantage. However, need to be heavily modified (suspension, brakes, LSD and cooling). 1M could have been good, as it comes better prepared for the above quoted issues.

I am trying to stay away from stripping, roll cage etc. as I am not looking to truck the car around, I will be doing maximum of 10 days per year. To date my average is 5-6 days a year.

So the objective is to look for a track-oriented car (sports car), as opposed to a sporty car that needs modding.
Get the C6 and be done with it.
__________________
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking
about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - George W

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #856
jgalaxy
Gearing
jgalaxy's Avatar
Canada
40
Rep
3,799
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill1125 View Post
I just wanted to know if this is a good price for a 2009 335xi with premium package in manual with 73K KM Space Grey. The car is not CPO and was thinking of maybe going to BMW and buying the extended warranty if possible.

$25K + taxes.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
That seems pretty darn good.
__________________
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking
about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - George W

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #857
overkill1125
Captain
overkill1125's Avatar
Canada
16
Rep
674
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montreal, Canada

iTrader: (4)

Final price with taxes and fees $31500.
I'm just very hesitant about the fact that the car has no warranty at all.
Not sure how much BMW will charge for extended warranty.

If I add the cost of the warranty, the cost will be pretty much similar to what a CPO car go for at the dealer.

The problem is that I only have till tomorrow to decide.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #858
kenneth
Major General
kenneth's Avatar
Canada
88
Rep
8,674
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill1125 View Post
I just wanted to know if this is a good price for a 2009 335xi with premium package in manual with 73K KM Space Grey. The car is not CPO and was thinking of maybe going to BMW and buying the extended warranty if possible.

$25K + taxes.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill1125 View Post
Final price with taxes and fees $31500.
I'm just very hesitant about the fact that the car has no warranty at all.
Not sure how much BMW will charge for extended warranty.

If I add the cost of the warranty, the cost will be pretty much similar to what a CPO car go for at the dealer.

The problem is that I only have till tomorrow to decide.
Are you buying this car privately? Also how does the tax add up to $6,500?

Also, it's not so bad without warranty. There are no catastrophic issues with this car.
__________________
SB, Terra, 6MT. Only a few mods here and there.....nothing extreme!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST