E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > A wee bit of 1 series advice gents

01-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

A wee bit of 1 series advice gents

Hi gents.

Long time no speak

I know this isn't an E90 but I know (and like ) you guys and would rather ask you than introduce myself on a 1 series board.

So, my bro in law has pretty much dropped a deposit on a little 116d at a local car dealership (not BMW might I add). Nothing too special.....just seems like a sound little car.

I have given it a quick eyeball and have found a few cosmetic things that I have asked for them to sort or no deal (cracked rear light, big scrape etc) but haven't had a run in the car yet, i hope to do that tonight before he finalizes but just wanted to clarify before hand if there are any gotchas to look for, mechanically more-so on the 116d?

Is this basically the same lump that was in my E90 with a low blow turbo?

Ill be looking for smokey start ups, smoke when driving, smooth boost etc, all that good stuff.....although I am guessing its going to be a bit less pokey than the 163 engine.

Ill also be giving every-single-button a workout.....to make sure all the electrics work. Any way of finding error codes quickly through the OBC? Same as the E90?

Anything else? Its a 2009 car so I am assuming its a start-stop?

I am also a wee bit confused (and dubious tbh) as it is advertised as a "Sport" model......now, its not an M-Sport (no M bumpers, alcantara, squishy steering wheel etc) but it is advertised as having sport suspension etc. It does have nice seats (thigh support jobbies) but no climate control. It has parking sensors. its almost like a bit of an SE spec with a bit more, but not everything.

Was there an official sport model that wasn't M-Sport?

I had an eyeball at the logbook and it is listed as a Sport.......

Is there anyone that knows or can check that? Local BMW were less than helpful this morning in finding me info on a car that was of no benefit to them.

Here is a link to the little car, would appreciate any input gents.

p.s. fck I miss my E90.

Cheers
Jinj
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

As it's 2009 it will have a DPF (unlike yours) and thus there's be no smokey smell or appearance from behind, the DPF removes all of that.

As far as I believed I knew: Sport usually means M sport. But there's no CC on the 1 series (just aircon with dials) full stop as far as I know?

Mine is listed as a 335d Sport and it's the M sport variant. Maybe it's different though.

No way to quickly find error codes I'm afraid. Make sure there are no services due very soon. Also if the pads say 20k left on them, visually check as they should have close to a centimeter of pad thickness at that kind of life. One thing some dealers might do is just reset the service indicator (which can be done through the stalk).

I'd be slightly wary of a dealer willing to put an obviously scratched (badly as you said) car on their forecourt in the one breath: But at least it does also show a lower probability of them trying to hide something I suppose.

Make sure service history shows regular mileage as that life of car could be ex fleet and feasibly clocked. Very difficult to check really though.

Is it manual or auto out of interest?

The engine is the same as what you used to have but the turbo is a much better and more reliable unit.

Tell him to get it remapped as he'll be able to get it to at least 150. The standard 115 or whatever bhp is pretty terrible. But there's quite a bit of tuning potential even with the baby turbo and different injectors (AFAIK the only differences).

Erm, can't think of anything else!!
Dave
      01-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #3
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Yes, there was an official "Sport" model on low-output engines that was not the M-Sport. It was effectively below the SE (no climate, no mfsw, no cruise etc) but did give you sports seats and a thicker steering-wheel rim. No other gotchas really. What mileage (check for timing-chain rattle)

@ Dave - M-Sports and SEs do have full climate (at least my wife's M-Sport does; pretty sure it was standard)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

As above there was a Sport model, bit like the F30 3 series, there is a Sport model and then also an M SPort.

I had a 116i loaner recently, was the latest model to may be a better car, but it was a decent drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

So it goes "Sport", "SE", "M Sport"

I suppose the Sport replaces the "ES" of the E46 range then as basically bargain basement?

Seems a bit ridiculous to call it the sport model then.

It must be one of these that I drove both times I had a courtesy 1 as I just assumed "not M sport" meant dials not CC. I stand corrected :-)
      01-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post

I suppose the Sport replaces the "ES" of the E46 range then as basically bargain basement?
)
Exactly.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #7
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Great input, thanks chaps.....

Yeah, definitely not an M-sport as it doesn't have the deep bumpers etc and is a wee bit sparse inside. But saying that, it is a clean car and it WILL be the best car HE has ever had, so I am all for it.

As long as the dealer fixes the scratch/light and I am happy with it mechanically, I know he will love it.

i was just mighty confused about the spec. You know, lovely seats and no climate. Seemed odd. But still, it has everything he will need and now I am just down to bartering points.

I am not expecting much in the drive tonight, just to make sure nothing is obviously wrong. mileage was verified through an HPI/service book and my only bummer was that the services were not done by BMW, but a simple garage. i will be picking up on this tonight too. This is all in the service book.

the warranty they are providing is a typical dealer affair but everything that I would be worried about seems to be included, I guess the devil is in the T's and C's as always with these.

oh and Megs, its a manual.

Cheers
jinj
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Exactly.
I also guess its a marketing thing as ES sounds shit but Sport sounds "sexy"

our Mazda people carrier is a "sport" and if i am being honest, that's just monkey shit

lol

J
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
As it's 2009 it will have a DPF (unlike yours) and thus there's be no smokey smell or appearance from behind, the DPF removes all of that.

As far as I believed I knew: Sport usually means M sport. But there's no CC on the 1 series (just aircon with dials) full stop as far as I know?

No way to quickly find error codes I'm afraid. Make sure there are no services due very soon. Also if the pads say 20k left on them, visually check as they should have close to a centimeter of pad thickness at that kind of life. One thing some dealers might do is just reset the service indicator (which can be done through the stalk).

Make sure service history shows regular mileage as that life of car could be ex fleet and feasibly clocked. Very difficult to check really though.
Yes, seats and front bumper show it as a Sport (SE and Msport have different exterior identifiers).

First time i've seen a 1 series without CC actually! Dials, how old fashioned
CC is the same panel used in the E9x series cars pre-facelift.

You can't just reset the brake pad wear indicator on front or rear without new pad wear sensors on the 1 series. If you put new pads in and try and reuse the old sensor (even if it hasn't been ground through) the computer will NOT reset. You HAVE to use a new pad wear sensor. Ask me how i know

As for service history, if it's all been done at BMW main dealers then one call to BMW GB (it's a £1/minute number unfortunately!) will give you all the information on every service - where, when, how much, what was done, the lot. Or you could just ring each dealer and ask them to confirm.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #10
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

A 1 series sport was just above SE but no where close to M Sport trim , cheap way to get out of SE and get few nice bits like the better seats etc but non of the looks outside
      01-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #11
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, bit of clarity from the top gear website (and i know they are NOT the voice of wisdom, so pinch of salt)...

Quote:
All of which means it's tricky to think of downsides to the 116d. At £18,415, it's sound value for a BMW and there's a Sport trim option which gives you alloys, front fogs and a leather steering wheel for only £810 more than the base spec.
Concerns around the servicing?

J
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #12
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
A 1 series sport was just above SE but no where close to M Sport trim , cheap way to get out of SE and get few nice bits like the better seats etc but non of the looks outside
Certainly seems that way magic mate, from where I am.....CC is certainly not a deal breaker.

The bumps and scratches speak honesty to me and I would just like them fixed.

I would rather they were there than badly fixed or masked.

Certainly seems like a favorable wee economic car reading MANY reviews this morning.

"You don’t feel like you’re driving an eco special, either; the 1-series feels balanced and refined. All the launch cars were in Sport trim, which adds £1315 to the base price of £17,605."

J
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #13
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Yes, there was an official "Sport" model on low-output engines that was not the M-Sport. It was effectively below the SE (no climate, no mfsw, no cruise etc) but did give you sports seats and a thicker steering-wheel rim. No other gotchas really. What mileage (check for timing-chain rattle)

@ Dave - M-Sports and SEs do have full climate (at least my wife's M-Sport does; pretty sure it was standard)
60K dude.
Appreciate 0