E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Changing The Manual Trans Fluid In The 335



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Mr. 5's Avatar DIY: Changing The Manual Trans Fluid In The 335
Mr. 5
08-25-2007
First of all, do this at your own risk! I take no responsibility for the mistakes that you make, so be careful. This is just a guide to make it easier for you.

You will need the following...
  #44  
By mirbahabmw on 03-16-2011, 01:34 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
can someone please let me know with certainty what REDLINE fluid (D4 ATF or D6 ATF) do I put into my 2009 328xi 6MT??? I really really need to know this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
By Analog on 03-17-2011, 04:39 PM
I have 06 330, is the Redline D4 okay for my car as well? and is the procedure same as 335? thanks
Reply With Quote
  #46  
By BKV122 on 03-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
4
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 87%
I put Redline D6ATF into my MT. If you read redline's website about our car i think the D4 is a older type and D6 replaced it, so both would do fine. But double check redline's site
Reply With Quote
  #47  
By AlanAZ on 03-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 80%
Quote:
can someone please let me know with certainty what REDLINE fluid (D4 ATF or D6 ATF) do I put into my 2009 328xi 6MT??? I really really need to know this. Thanks.
With certainty, it is D6 ATF, for all E90s.

I spoke with Redline's Tech Support as I was having a shifting problem and there was conflicting information on their website. However, D4 is only 10% more viscous, not much difference, and for a few situations (very hot climate, race track use) may be more appropriate.

Update: now that I've experienced a couple 100F days, D4 was the right choice for me. Shifting is perfect, and I would not want to be running any thinner than this.
Last edited by AlanAZ; 05-11-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
By bumere90 on 03-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Will be doing that in a month. Has anyone tried using Pentosin fluid?
Last edited by bumere90; 03-18-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
By Analog on 03-19-2011, 04:02 PM
sorry for the noob question. How do i pump the fluid into the fill hole? assume I use the Redline (not the RP bottle). what kinda pump do i need? thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote
  #50  
By bumere90 on 03-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
walmart has universal pumps for 5 bucks
Reply With Quote
  #51  
By Analog on 04-05-2011, 02:53 AM
Just did the transmission fluid change tonight. (used Redline D6) N to 1st, and 1st to 2nd require much less effort than before. thanks for this DIY!!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
By AlanAZ on 04-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 80%
I wish I had seen this earlier (before I tried Sychromax),

http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-chart.html

according to RP's website, Synchromax is compatible with MTF-LT-1, but not MTF-LT-2 & 3, which is what E90 transmissions use.
Last edited by AlanAZ; 09-22-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
By LocDawgg on 09-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
im assuming you would screw back in the drain plug before pumping new fluid in via fill-plug LOL i didnt see it in the DIY
Reply With Quote
  #54  
By witeagle on 09-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawgg View Post
im assuming you would screw back in the drain plug before pumping new fluid in via fill-plug LOL i didnt see it in the DIY
It's there:

"Once it's drained enough then put the plug back in and tighten it."
Reply With Quote
  #55  
By DaanBMW on 10-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 93%
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
I wish I had seen this earlier (before I tried Sychromax),

http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-chart.html

according to RP's website, Synchromax is compatible with MTF-LT-1, but not MTF-LT-2 & 3, which is what E90 transmissions use.
Sooo... what do you meand by this exactly ? Above I think I read D4 ATF is the proper oil for e9x manual trannys. The list you point to on RP's site indicate non-ATF fluids: Max-Gear or Synchromax.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
By AlanAZ on 11-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 80%
The list I point to is RP's Cross Reference Chart for Manual Transmissions. They do not list an oil (ATF or not), that can replace the oil (MTF-LT-2 or 3) used in our gearboxes.

RedLine recommends D6 ATF for use our gearboxes (for most applications.)
Reply With Quote
  #57  
By JoosyJoos on 11-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Does anyone know if the drain plug uses an O-ring or a washer? I don't wanna risk replacing the fluid and having it seep around a crush washer. I would assume I could reuse an O-ring without problems.

feedback...?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
By AlanAZ on 11-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 80%
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
Does anyone know if the drain plug uses an O-ring or a washer? I don't wanna risk replacing the fluid and having it seep around a crush washer.
No crush washer, the drain and fill plugs (same plug) have a built-in o-ring. I replaced my drain plug both times I changed the fluid. You may want to consider a magnetic plug to help keep particles out of the fluid. Gold plug makes them. Turner or Bavauto may have them also.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
By LocDawgg on 02-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Where is the drain plug located as oppose to the fill plug
Reply With Quote
  #60  
By iverson3yoo on 07-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Changed my trans fluid today. Followed this DIY to the letter. Real easy. Get a pump from advance auto parts for $8
Reply With Quote
  #61  
By left123 on 12-08-2012, 06:44 PM
This DYI worked great for my 06 e90 330i. The only addition is I removed an additional bracket adjacent to the bracket mentioned in this procedure. Very simple, just a socket (14mm I believe).

I used Redline MTL per Mike Miller's "old school maintenance" write-up.

Also, I used a Pittsburgh Automotive pump here:

http://www.amazon.com/Pittsburgh-Aut.../dp/B006ZB8PDM

Worked flawlessly.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
By cbad335 on 12-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Just did this, along with diff fluid. A little messy but that was my fault, hahaha. Certainly saved a few hundy doing it myself. I went with OEM fluids and had the dealer fill some bottles from their drums. I also used one of those transfer pumps, which I purchased from Harbor Freight. My '09 only had 4600k on it when I obtained it but had sat for most of the last 3.5 years. I wanted to do a late, "break-in" fluid change. Fluids were pretty mirky looking, especially the diff, so I'm glad I did it. Will do again in 30k.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
By S62PWR on 01-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
100%100%100%
5
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 100%
Smile Red Line MTL

Just bought an '08 335i Coupe w/ 33K miles. Hated the way it shifted, my 13th BMW with a manual gearbox, including 4 ///M cars. I swapped the FF Magic Permanent Gear Oil for Redline MTL today (like I do w ALL my BMW's) and viola! So much better, particularly when up to tempature. I was considering selling the car I really disliked how it shifted relative to my E36 ///M3. My ///M3 has 93K miles on the odo and has had 3 gear oil changes with Red Line, many track days and shifts like a dream. Anyway, short shift kit arrived today from Turner, so it should get even better next week. The final act will be replacing the Clutch Delay Valve w/ a modified one. Searching for that DIY next! BTW, my tranny had the blue MTL-LL3 tag on the side which read "Do Not Change Gear Oil". Sorry, eat me. The fill plugs seemed like they shouldn't be reused really. I'll watch if it leaks and I'll purchase a new set the next change at 60K. Seems like it should be magnetic to collect metal bits, no? Used fluid didn't look bad to me, just really didn't care for the feel. Some may wonder why I used RL MTL when the spec calls for D4 or D6-ATF. Frankly, the differences are slight when you're talking about Red Line, which is some of the greatest stuff out there. I think the ATF is a bit more slippery/easy to shift when cold. I just like the feel of the MTL better. There are no worries about wear with either product from RL. I've also used the RP Sychromesh. Its really slick, maybe a little too slick for me. Anyway, my 25 years experience points me to Red Line MTL every 30K, more often if I track the car.
Last edited by S62PWR; 01-16-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
By axeswingingflannelwearer on 01-23-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
By DaanBMW on 04-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 93%
Quote:
Originally Posted by S62PWR View Post
Just bought an '08 335i Coupe w/ 33K miles. Hated the way it shifted, my 13th BMW with a manual gearbox, including 4 ///M cars. I swapped the FF Magic Permanent Gear Oil for Redline MTL today (like I do w ALL my BMW's) and viola! So much better, particularly when up to tempature. I was considering selling the car I really disliked how it shifted relative to my E36 ///M3. My ///M3 has 93K miles on the odo and has had 3 gear oil changes with Red Line, many track days and shifts like a dream. Anyway, short shift kit arrived today from Turner, so it should get even better next week. The final act will be replacing the Clutch Delay Valve w/ a modified one. Searching for that DIY next! BTW, my tranny had the blue MTL-LL3 tag on the side which read "Do Not Change Gear Oil". Sorry, eat me. The fill plugs seemed like they shouldn't be reused really. I'll watch if it leaks and I'll purchase a new set the next change at 60K. Seems like it should be magnetic to collect metal bits, no? Used fluid didn't look bad to me, just really didn't care for the feel. Some may wonder why I used RL MTL when the spec calls for D4 or D6-ATF. Frankly, the differences are slight when you're talking about Red Line, which is some of the greatest stuff out there. I think the ATF is a bit more slippery/easy to shift when cold. I just like the feel of the MTL better. There are no worries about wear with either product from RL. I've also used the RP Sychromesh. Its really slick, maybe a little too slick for me. Anyway, my 25 years experience points me to Red Line MTL every 30K, more often if I track the car.
Are you still happy with the MTL in your tranny ? Still trying to figure out if I'll go D4 ATF or D6 ATF or MTL...
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST