Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Rear tires completely bald after only 5,000 miles WTF!



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
kingofthedemo
Major
43

 
kingofthedemo's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA


Posts: 1,026
iTrader: (1)

Rear tires completely bald after only 5,000 miles WTF!

Like the title says my rear tires are completely bald after only 5,000 miles, I ordered these tires online as a package deal with my 19'' M359 avant garde wheels. the package was about $1,900 so the tires weren't cheap. I don't take the car to the track at all, or do burn out's a lot.

I'm trying to figure out why they wore out so fast, any ideas? Maybe my car is to low and rubbing, but you would think that it would be noticeable if it were rubbing, and it's not. How many miles do you guys get on average out of your rear tires?




__________________
MY PROGRESS LINK: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766852


''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
21

 
cmyk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas


Posts: 1,016
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.38]
What kind of tires are they? What is your driving style?

M359s are what, around $1200? So you paid around $700 for 4 tires -- if so, that actually is pretty "cheap" for a full set.

ETA: to answer your question I have Toyo Proxes4 with around 10k miles on them and they have plenty of tread left. No signs of wear at all, really, even on the rears. But I missed track season last year, so I'm sure I will eat through these this Spring
__________________


2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Black M6 wheels + Toyo Proxes
(and yes, I am a girl)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
44

 
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yonkers NY


Posts: 3,373
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthedemo View Post
Like the title says my rear tires are completely bald after only 5,000 miles, I ordered these tires online as a package deal with my 19'' M359 avant garde wheels. the package was about $1,900 so the tires weren't cheap. I don't take the car to the track at all, or do burn out's a lot.

I'm trying to figure out why they wore out so fast, any ideas? Maybe my car is to low and rubbing, but you would think that it would be noticeable if it were rubbing, and it's not. How many miles do you guys get on average out of your rear tires?

what tires? possibly because the tires have a low tread rating new, but spinning tires really kills tires though.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Envuks
Captain
8

 
Envuks's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 e92 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA


Posts: 718
iTrader: (2)

It does seem quick, but as has been said the tires are pretty cheep for 19s and if you do burn outs, even infrequently, it could happen
__________________
Jet black e92 6mt 335xi:

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
gds52
Major
19

 
Drives: BMW 328i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ


Posts: 1,445
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthedemo View Post
Like the title says my rear tires are completely bald after only 5,000 miles, I ordered these tires online as a package deal with my 19'' M359 avant garde wheels. the package was about $1,900 so the tires weren't cheap. I don't take the car to the track at all, or do burn out's a lot.

I'm trying to figure out why they wore out so fast, any ideas? Maybe my car is to low and rubbing, but you would think that it would be noticeable if it were rubbing, and it's not. How many miles do you guys get on average out of your rear tires?





Did you buy these tires new ?
Tires will never go bald in 5k miles on regular driving.

From bald, do you mean evenly worn out or uneven?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
nukezero
Major
United_States
65

 
Drives: '09 335I Cpe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sunny Socal


Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (4)

20k on the rear for Michelin ps2 or PSS.

They seem to wear even faster if you are tuned. I'll probably get 16k out of the rear now
__________________
2009 335i 6MT - M-Sport - All stock
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
J-Spec Dan
shamone
United_States
35

 
J-Spec Dan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: C H I C A G O


Posts: 2,607
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [4.08]
did you get an alignment after you got lowered?
what kind of tires do you have?
__________________
BMW CCA Member 483866
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
e90335iftw
First Lieutenant
9

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada


Posts: 361
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthedemo View Post
Like the title says my rear tires are completely bald after only 5,000 miles, I ordered these tires online as a package deal with my 19'' M359 avant garde wheels. the package was about $1,900 so the tires weren't cheap. I don't take the car to the track at all, or do burn out's a lot.

I'm trying to figure out why they wore out so fast, any ideas? Maybe my car is to low and rubbing, but you would think that it would be noticeable if it were rubbing, and it's not. How many miles do you guys get on average out of your rear tires?

maybe those burn outs is the reason why your tires are going bald.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
58

 
Amini77's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA


Posts: 4,585
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335iftw View Post
maybe those burn outs is the reason why your tires are going bald.
+1 LOL! What's your camber at OP?
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
kingofthedemo
Major
43

 
kingofthedemo's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA


Posts: 1,026
iTrader: (1)

I have only done a burn out maybe three times, but I do corner pretty hard but still 5,000 miles is nothing! I did buy these new, the tread wear is even and completely bald. I got the m359's on sale for about $1,000 so I paid about $1,000 for the tires they aren't real cheap. I can't remember the brand I will have to look, but I'm just confused this can't be normal. Do you think it's because I'm to low?
__________________
MY PROGRESS LINK: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766852


''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Bartman619
Captain
8

 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SDCA


Posts: 679
iTrader: (2)

....you need a good alignment. Probably less camber on the rear wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
27

 
E90_boostjunky's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA, IL


Posts: 1,625
iTrader: (1)

go look at what kind of tires you have and let us know. and stop doing burn outs and not expect to have bald tires
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
rorkor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
3

 
rorkor's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E90 N52 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here


Posts: 278
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 E70 X5 35d  [5.00]
2011 E90 328i  [5.00]
It really depends, in addition to driving style here are the questions to answer if you really need help figuring it out:

Is your set staggered?
What brand of tire?
What is the UTQG?
Are they RFT?
If not RFT, did you adjust the pressure to compensate for the suspension settings?
Did you change the dampening when you installed the lowering springs?
Do you see damage in the wheel well liner?
Is there paint missing on the well lip?
On the occasional burnout, how long do you slip?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
2

 
Drives: '09 335d RIP '08 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbus, OH


Posts: 232
iTrader: (2)

Take the tire off and see if there is any sign of rubbing. Otherwise your alignment must be off. It probably doesn't take many degrees off to be bald after 5k.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
kingofthedemo
Major
43

 
kingofthedemo's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA


Posts: 1,026
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkor View Post
It really depends, in addition to driving style here are the questions to answer if you really need help figuring it out:

Is your set staggered?
What brand of tire?
What is the UTQG?
Are they RFT?
If not RFT, did you adjust the pressure to compensate for the suspension settings?
Did you change the dampening when you installed the lowering springs?
Do you see damage in the wheel well liner?
Is there paint missing on the well lip?
On the occasional burnout, how long do you slip?
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to mechanics, UTQG, RFT? The front tires are 9.5'' wide and the rears are 10'' wide, when I said burn out I didn't really mean the traditional kind, I meant burning some rubber around sharp turns occasionally . I'm lowered on st coilovers not just springs. I will check inside the wheel well lip.
__________________
MY PROGRESS LINK: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766852


''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #16
rorkor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
3

 
rorkor's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E90 N52 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here


Posts: 278
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 E70 X5 35d  [5.00]
2011 E90 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthedemo View Post
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to mechanics, UTQG, RFT? The front tires are 9.5'' wide and the rears are 10'' wide, when I said burn out I didn't really mean the traditional kind, I meant burning some rubber around sharp turns occasionally . I'm lowered on st coilovers not just springs. I will check inside the wheel well lip.
Ok, wheels are different widths, so the tires will be too, that means they are staggered. Staggered sets wear quicker in the rear, by about 40% over the fronts. The manufacturers warranties on staggered setups is usually cut by 50% of the advertised warranty as a result of the wear.

Tires have a set of numbers on the side, along with their name. Just look at them, should be 2xx/xx/r19, fill in the x's and give us the brand and model.

RFT stands for run flat tire, if you don't know, look for a circle that says RFT on the side wall of the tire, if it isn't there, they are not.

UTQG is the wear grade of a tire, range is about 90 to 600 and varies between manufacturers. The lower the rating, the quicker the wear but greater dry grip as well.

Tailing out a bit on corners will cause feathering of the edges on tires but usually does not cause extreme wear over the life of the tire unless it is regular and you really let it slip.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
150

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW


Posts: 11,483
iTrader: (0)

Lol do we know what the tires are.....this reminds me of those battery threads where the op keeps asking what he should do
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #18
Hooy
Colonel
50

 
Hooy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, TX


Posts: 2,765
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [2.50]
Your burnouts + your bad alignment = dead tires.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
GarySL
Lieutenant
5

 
GarySL's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi E90
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Humboldt Co., CA


Posts: 406
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkor View Post
Ok, look for a circle that says



Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
fixed
__________________
'08 335xi (E90), 6MT, Arctic/Black, ZPP, ZSP (18"s), ZCW, CA, PDC, i-Pod
Ordered-March 7, 2008, Shipped via Graceful Leader-March 21, 2008,
Arrived Port Hueneme-April 11, 2008, Delivered-April 21, 2008
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #20
kingofthedemo
Major
43

 
kingofthedemo's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA


Posts: 1,026
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkor View Post
Ok, wheels are different widths, so the tires will be too, that means they are staggered. Staggered sets wear quicker in the rear, by about 40% over the fronts. The manufacturers warranties on staggered setups is usually cut by 50% of the advertised warranty as a result of the wear.

Tires have a set of numbers on the side, along with their name. Just look at them, should be 2xx/xx/r19, fill in the x's and give us the brand and model.

RFT stands for run flat tire, if you don't know, look for a circle that says RFT on the side wall of the tire, if it isn't there, they are not.

UTQG is the wear grade of a tire, range is about 90 to 600 and varies between manufacturers. The lower the rating, the quicker the wear but greater dry grip as well.

Tailing out a bit on corners will cause feathering of the edges on tires but usually does not cause extreme wear over the life of the tire unless it is regular and you really let it slip.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Thank you!
__________________
MY PROGRESS LINK: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766852


''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #21
CruzS4e92
Lieutenant
6

 
CruzS4e92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 328i coupe
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Horsham, PA/Sea Isle City, NJ


Posts: 414
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
Your burnouts + your bad alignment = dead tires.
this commentary combined with your avatar made me chuckle.

your car looks great btw , can't wait to get my oem aero lip painted and put it on (next weekend)

/thread-derail
__________________

'09 328i coupe 6MT Sport
SG/CR - BMW SSK/alcantara boot - 30% Llumar - Shadowline - BBS Style 197 - LUX H8 V3 LEDs - OEM Aero Lip
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #22
FCobra94
Major
14

 
FCobra94's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MD


Posts: 1,387
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Lol do we know what the tires are.....this reminds me of those battery threads where the op keeps asking what he should do
Seriously...

WHAT BRAND AND MODEL TIRES?!?!?!?!

Post up a pic so that we can corroborate the "even wear" across the full tread of the tire.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST