E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > I Gotta Have It!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
tony20009
Brigadier General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
131
Rep
4,594
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

I Gotta Have It!

So you are buying a BMW and you don't have a lot of money to load the car up, so you are buying a base model with one option (not a package having several, though you can, hypothetically, select one option from within a package). Assuming all options are available as stand-alone things, what would you pick? (Option is defined as anything you can't get for free on the car.)

  • 3er - X-Drive because it makes my car good all year long, and it snows here. Otherwise I'd have picked sport suspension.
  • 1er - Sport Suspension because X-Drive isn't offered at all on the 1er.
  • All other models -- well, if it were one of the other models, the "you don't have a lot of money" criterion wouldn't apply, now would it? LOL

I'm just asking because I'm curious as to what it is folks value most in these cars.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
96
Rep
5,198
Posts

 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Well the 135i all came with sport suspension but I would probably say the iDrive system. No other *single* option would offer as much. What's nice is that they've bundled all options into basically two packages instead of the old a la carte.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
7
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: Sleeper Until the key turns
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Foxrus14
I don't think there is anything better than the heated seats if you are in the north...

On another note...

If you cant afford exactly what you want you will overall be disappointed with the car. Why spend 40K and almost get what you want when you can spend $45k and get exactly what you want???? I think people need to think what is really important to them... Having a BMW to say you have a BMW is overrated and down right materialistic thus the problem with our country. But don't worry Obama will take my money and give it to someone that dug their own debt grave
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
28
Rep
1,655
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 M Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Buy a used car, 2-3 years old, with every option possible for less money. Not sure why you're buying new if a few thousand is a concern.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Meeni
Gateropode
Meeni's Avatar
24
Rep
1,876
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330i 06
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TN

iTrader: (0)

Sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
96
Rep
5,198
Posts

 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
You live in DC - how many days does it snow each year? I put snow tires on my tuned 135 and never had an issue getting around. X drive in DC is like wearing a raincoat every day of the year, just in case it rains.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
tony20009
Brigadier General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
131
Rep
4,594
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
You live in DC - how many days does it snow each year? I put snow tires on my tuned 135 and never had an issue getting around. X drive in DC is like wearing a raincoat every day of the year, just in case it rains.
It depends on the year as to how many days it snows. Some years not at all. But it does snow. And I never drive the car in a manner that would exceed the limits -- speed, cornering, or others -- of what an X-drive BMW can handle because my driving skills aren't that keen. So that's the one I would pick.

I understand the poster who said heated seats, but I tend to wear full length overcoats in the winter, so my butt's rarely in contact with a cold seat. My phone can handle the navigation duties as I've learned from traveling quite often.

As I noted above, though, I am just curious to see what sorts of things folks here value most and paring down to one option pretty well makes that point clear. Folks will either slant toward something that makes the experience of driving better or something that makes the experience of riding better, or something that is cosmetic.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Got_///M
Second Lieutenant
Got_///M's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
213
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta
Buy a used car, 2-3 years old, with every option possible for less money. Not sure why you're buying new if a few thousand is a concern.
+1. Even if it's just one year old with low mileage. That's a better deal IMO. That's exactly what I did with my car. Never understood the point of ordering a new car when there are so many cars in good good condition.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Sniz's Avatar
190
Rep
10,572
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

iTrader: (1)

^ thats what i always do, no need for a new car unless the new car financing is your only buying option.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
Colt's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,215
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_///M View Post
+1. Even if it's just one year old with low mileage. That's a better deal IMO. That's exactly what I did with my car. Never understood the point of ordering a new car when there are so many cars in good good condition.
Agreed
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
looks like unicorn vomit.
For Sale: 08 135i SR 6MT, PTF Tuned
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Stohlen
Major
18
Rep
1,228
Posts

 
Drives: AW 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waterford, Mi

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [2.83]
You know, this guy created a thread just to see what everyone felt was the most important option to have in a BMW. He may have worded it to give the reader the feeling that they were actually in this scenario... But I think its a little bit moronic that you all are bashing him about buying a new car vs. a used one when that wasn't the point at all...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
631twentyeighteye
Lieutenant Colonel
631twentyeighteye's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
1,904
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 130i MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long island

iTrader: (6)

Sport seats. granted i have an almost bare bones 128, i think those would be my pick of any single option. Especially since i would eventually swap out the stock suspension anyway.
__________________
3 stage manifold, Mapleridge headers, AA tune, Injen intake
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
L8*Apex
Private First Class
L8*Apex's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
127
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrus14
I don't think there is anything better than the heated seats if you are in the north...

On another note...

If you cant afford exactly what you want you will overall be disappointed with the car. Why spend 40K and almost get what you want when you can spend $45k and get exactly what you want???? I think people need to think what is really important to them... Having a BMW to say you have a BMW is overrated and down right materialistic thus the problem with our country. But don't worry Obama will take my money and give it to someone that dug their own debt grave
Actually, the problem with our country is pointing out the faults of others and actually doing that thing you say you don't like. Owning a BMW IS materialistic. You could have purchased a 10 year old Civic and gotten from A to B.

Now to the OP: I vote x-drive. One thing I miss about my Subaru was the all wheel drive. Even in sunny AZ. Jack rabbit starts with a pro-tuned motor was so much easier.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,718
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

I've lived and worked in the DC metro area my whole life. No need for x-drive. People in DC can't drive in the snow and will crash into you. It doesn't snow enough that that roads aren't cleared within 12 hours. The traffic jams that result when 3 flakes hit the ground are not worth sitting in. If it snows just stay in and work from home.

BMWs are great with just a set of dedicated winter tires. It's less expensive to just run a set of winter tire on separate rims for the winter months if you have that much concern over it.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 02-02-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
tony20009
Brigadier General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
131
Rep
4,594
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
You know, this guy created a thread just to see what everyone felt was the most important option to have in a BMW. He may have worded it to give the reader the feeling that they were actually in this scenario... But I think its a little bit moronic that you all are bashing him about buying a new car vs. a used one when that wasn't the point at all...
Thank you.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
tony20009
Brigadier General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
131
Rep
4,594
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've lived and worked in the DC metro area my whole life. No need for x-drive. People in DC can't drive in the snow and will crash into you. It doesn't snow enough that that roads aren't cleared within 12 hours. The traffic jams that result when 3 flakes hit the ground are not worth sitting in. If it snows just stay in and work from home.

BMWs are great with just a set of dedicated winter tires. It's less expensive to just run a set of winter tire on separate rims for the winter months if you have that much concern over it.
It isn't about whether one's choice has any rational basis aside from the one that spurred the person to make that choice. I wasn't seeking to criticize anyone for their choice. I was just curious.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #17
tony20009
Brigadier General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
131
Rep
4,594
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

FWIW, the reason I specified a new car is because one cannot order one's choice of option on a used car.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
RetroB
Private
0
Rep
79
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3 20d
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Slovenia

iTrader: (0)

3er i-drive
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #19
thedigitel
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: C6 Vette
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: KS

iTrader: (0)

Definitely sport seats.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST