E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > new battery coding



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
linlaoboo
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: 07 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Joysey


Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

new battery coding

how long will it take for me to code a new AGM battery and register it?
__________________
07 328xi
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
rentonrider
Banned
5

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Renton, WA


Posts: 412
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [3.50]
It takes however long it takes you to code cas and then register the battery. Read links below.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532315
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473109
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
linlaoboo
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: 07 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Joysey


Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

i have the autozone 800CCA AGM battery with 140RC. According to that thread, (14/2)+16 is 86Ah but the closest selection is CAS is 80ah_agm and 90ah_agm. Which one is better for me to pick? Will picking the 90ah cause the alternator to overcharge the battery? I'm thinking if I pick 80ah I can always hook up a battery charger to it to charge it from time to time since it's just going to be my weekend car.
__________________
07 328xi
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
ugknite
New Member
0

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: boston, ma


Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Does anyone know of someone in the Boston/Waltham area who can register my new Battery. I bought one from Advance Auto Parts and need to register it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
linlaoboo
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: 07 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Joysey


Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

Ugknite,

I saw your question on another thread. My INPA cable is coming and I'll be attempting this soon. HOpefully can pull it off.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ugknite View Post
Does anyone know of someone in the Boston/Waltham area who can register my new Battery. I bought one from Advance Auto Parts and need to register it.
__________________
07 328xi
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
ugknite
New Member
0

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: boston, ma


Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linlaoboo View Post
Ugknite,

I saw your question on another thread. My INPA cable is coming and I'll be attempting this soon. HOpefully can pull it off.
Where did you get the cable from and what method will you use to register the battery?

Did you get an OEM battery or did you get aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
linlaoboo
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: 07 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Joysey


Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

i got the agm from Autozone. Could've gone cheaper lead acid too really. I'll just try to follow the information in the threads. I got my cable from Ebay for $25 so hopefully it works.
__________________
07 328xi
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
ugknite
New Member
0

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: boston, ma


Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linlaoboo View Post
i got the agm from Autozone. Could've gone cheaper lead acid too really. I'll just try to follow the information in the threads. I got my cable from Ebay for $25 so hopefully it works.
ok, thanks. I got the $25 cable from ebay too. Hopefully it works. I didn't get the AGM battery and I am somewhat glad. I think my previous battery was lead acid too, so if I can't register the new one, it might still be fine (hopefully).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
linlaoboo
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: 07 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Joysey


Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

rentonrider,

Thanks alot for the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentonrider View Post
It takes however long it takes you to code cas and then register the battery. Read links below.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532315
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473109
__________________
07 328xi
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
linlaoboo
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: 07 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Joysey


Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

hello I followed "aftermarket battery registration diy but i'm not sure if something else needs to done to confirm my 86ah_agm battery are properly programmed and registered.

Upon checking Inpa.. . Field 2. The ah reading changed from 90 to 91. Does 91 mean 90ah_agm which I coded in CAS?

Do I need to change the VO code and where do I begin to do that? How about other modules like FRM, etc?
__________________
07 328xi
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
Volasko
Major
Canada
22

 
Volasko's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto


Posts: 1,123
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by linlaoboo View Post
Do I need to change the VO code and where do I begin to do that? How about other modules like FRM, etc?
I would like to know this too?!?! There is a DIY in at ************** that says you need to code the VO if you change battery.... I don't know if this is true or not either.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
rich123321
Captain
United_States
13

 
rich123321's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 325i E90
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Florida


Posts: 795
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW E90  [4.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko
Quote:
Originally Posted by linlaoboo View Post
Do I need to change the VO code and where do I begin to do that? How about other modules like FRM, etc?
I would like to know this too?!?! There is a DIY in at ************** that says you need to code the VO if you change battery.... I don't know if this is true or not either.
Don't quote me but only if switching from agm to non agm
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
241


 
cn555ic's Avatar
 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York


Posts: 18,286
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
If you want to really do it the 100% correct way is indeed to change the VO of the battery used, but this step alot of people dont do, and I also am one of them!...The only reason to change the VO of the battery equpped with is, if you or someone decides to code CAS module or FRM module back to default and forget to change in CAS the AH of the battery again, it will default back to what AH based on the VO with and the charge will be off. Alot of people dont do this step as I guess it would be fine..

by deleting what the car battery equipped VO and add the correct AH to VO

E B046 BATT_46AH //46 Ah-Batterie
E B055 BATT_55AH //55 Ah-Batterie
E B070 BATT_70AH //70 Ah-Batterie
E B080 BATT_80AH //80 Ah-Batterie
E B090 BATT_90AH //90 Ah-Batterie
E A070 BATT_AGM_70AH //70 Ah-AGM Batterie
E A080 BATT_AGM_80AH //80 Ah-AGM Batterie
E A090 BATT_AGM_90AH //90 Ah-AGM Batterie

FA_write the VO to Cas and FRM using profile Expertmode
Then code CAS module using Expertmode and code to default


THen use Tool32

1. Open Tool32
2. Datei > SGBD, Gruppendatei Laded > Select MSD80.PRG > Click Open
3. Highlight steuern_batterietausch_registri
4. Job > press the highlighted steuern_batterietausch_registri once on mouse and the job begins
5. The job runs pretty quickly and the results say Job_status = okay.


Here is the PDF on battery registration but this PDF also doesnt have the part of VO coding..
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Aftermarket Battery Registration DIY.pdf (475.3 KB, 257 views)
__________________
917-939-4980 CODING E and F Series New York Area


Last edited by cn555ic; 01-23-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #14
Volasko
Major
Canada
22

 
Volasko's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto


Posts: 1,123
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post

by deleting what the car battery equipped VO and add the correct AH to VO

E B046 BATT_46AH //46 Ah-Batterie
E B055 BATT_55AH //55 Ah-Batterie
E B070 BATT_70AH //70 Ah-Batterie
E B080 BATT_80AH //80 Ah-Batterie
E B090 BATT_90AH //90 Ah-Batterie
E A070 BATT_AGM_70AH //70 Ah-AGM Batterie
E A080 BATT_AGM_80AH //80 Ah-AGM Batterie
E A090 BATT_AGM_90AH //90 Ah-AGM Batterie

FA_write the VO to Cas and FRM using profile Expertmode
Then code CAS module using Expertmode and code to default
When I followed these directions my old VO entry for the original batter 80AH non-AGM was -B080, not E B080 as the above title would make you believe. I made the change to a 90AH AGM battery so I added -A090 to my VO. This isn't really clarified anywhere in a consolidated spot.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #15
Modded328FTW
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 328
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada


Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
When I followed these directions my old VO entry for the original batter 80AH non-AGM was -B080, not E B080 as the above title would make you believe. I made the change to a 90AH AGM battery so I added -A090 to my VO. This isn't really clarified anywhere in a consolidated spot.
What's the question? What you did is correct -A090 for that battery. FA write CAs and FRM and then recode CAS using expertmode.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
Surly73
Captain
Canada
10

 
Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakville, Ontario


Posts: 724
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
When I followed these directions my old VO entry for the original batter 80AH non-AGM was -B080, not E B080 as the above title would make you believe. I made the change to a 90AH AGM battery so I added -A090 to my VO. This isn't really clarified anywhere in a consolidated spot.
When I searched around, I also found that most of the how-tos cover part of the job but none of them covered all of it. You need to perform THREE STEPS to properly change the battery if you are changing the specification (especially if changing between flooded and AGM):
  1. update the VO/FA in CAS and NFM
  2. recode CAS with NCS
  3. battery registration with toolset32 or INPA

My post detailing the steps (if no one has major disagreements, maybe it should be sticky somewhere - this keeps coming up):

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=29
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
Volasko
Major
Canada
22

 
Volasko's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto


Posts: 1,123
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
We definitely need a sticky for this but your post assumes everyone knows how to do all the coding items. If you break out your instructions into a more step by step basis so others can follow it will probably make up on the front page.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
241


 
cn555ic's Avatar
 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York


Posts: 18,286
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
The instructions that Surly posted and the one I posted on top is pretty much self explanatory...If you need more precise directions then that, then you should really not be coding at all at this stage because it seems it much more then what your familiar with in regards to basic coding by changing aktiv to nicht_aktiv.....Adding VO and deleting VO change when I already even gave you what needs to be changed according to battery type. Then using Tool32 which I gave step by step is pretty self explanatory..I dont know how much more defined the instructions need to be..Tool32 is found in your Ediabas folder....Ediabas/bin/tool32.exe


Here is the PDF on how to change VO
Attached Images
File Type: pdf NCS_Changing_the_Vehicle_Order_CAS[1].pdf (1.56 MB, 418 views)
__________________
917-939-4980 CODING E and F Series New York Area


Last edited by cn555ic; 01-24-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #19
Surly73
Captain
Canada
10

 
Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakville, Ontario


Posts: 724
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
We definitely need a sticky for this but your post assumes everyone knows how to do all the coding items. If you break out your instructions into a more step by step basis so others can follow it will probably make up on the front page.
Agreed - it wasn't intended to be a self-contained bible on how to get this done. All of the steps I document are outlined in all of the other howtos. At the time of my original post, no one had documented that ALL of the steps were required.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
Modded328FTW
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 328
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada


Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
The instructions that Surly posted and the one I posted on top is pretty much self explanatory...If you need more precise directions then that, then you should really not be coding at all at this stage because it seems it much more then what your familiar with in regards to basic coding by changing aktiv to nicht_aktiv.....Adding VO and deleting VO change when I already even gave you what needs to be changed according to battery type. Then using Tool32 which I gave step by step is pretty self explanatory..I dont know how much more defined the instructions need to be..Tool32 is found in your Ediabas folder....Ediabas/bin/tool32.exe


Here is the PDF on how to change VO
+1 people just want to be spoon fed every step without taking the time to research what each program does and what it means to change it one way etc. Basically going in blind, so that if something deviates from the steps, they won't know how to move from there.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
Volasko
Major
Canada
22

 
Volasko's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto


Posts: 1,123
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modded328FTW View Post
What's the question? What you did is correct -A090 for that battery. FA write CAs and FRM and then recode CAS using expertmode.
It wasn't a question just a point. If you try and follow the instructions it doesn't clearly explain what 5 digit line you need to add, especially the "-" before the rest of the 4 digit numbers. When I did it I remember getting held up on this part, just trying to be concise for other forum members who may need the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #22
I M LEGEND
Private
0

 
Drives: M
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cali


Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

why does bmw have to make things so complicated
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST