E90Post
 


E92-lighting
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > DDM Tuning for HIDs?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Lifted07Duramax
Major
 
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: springfield, mo

Posts: 1,360
iTrader: (1)

DDM Tuning for HIDs?

I've used them for HIDs for my truck but I really dont see any threads on here about DDM so Im wondering if anyone else is running them and if they are happy with them?
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...hting/HID-Kits
Lifted07Duramax is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
///M3NACE
Banned
 
///M3NACE's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downers Grove, IL

Posts: 3,907
iTrader: (5)

Had them on my fog lights for about 5 years. Still good. I used them on my m3 as well and still good. For the most part they are good and last long. I paid 35.00 for them but that was a long time ago
///M3NACE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Hierlevelz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ENYC

Posts: 492
iTrader: (5)

Unrelated but I have them on my bike and they've been good so far. Reasonably priced too.
Hierlevelz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Lifted07Duramax
Major
 
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: springfield, mo

Posts: 1,360
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
Had them on my fog lights for about 5 years. Still good. I used them on my m3 as well and still good. For the most part they are good and last long. I paid 35.00 for them but that was a long time ago
Dumb question but are the angel eyes and HID headlights seperate bulbs?
Or does one bulb light up the angel eyes and the headlights?

Basically Im asking if I want it all to look 6-8000k do I need an angel eye kit AND HID headlights?
Lifted07Duramax is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Evochuck
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi 09
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montreal

Posts: 312
iTrader: (2)

One bulb for AEs (the typical replacement is LED) one bulb for headlights, although HID AEs can be done, but its separate.
Evochuck is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
BRGmatthew
Bausman
 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650

Posts: 1,785
iTrader: (19)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1438/...38e404ec_o.jpg
BRGmatthew is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
E3r2E9r
Banned
 
Drives: 3 Series
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NE

Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)

DDM tuning hids normally have bad reviews. My friend recently got them and in less then 2 weeks they failed. I told him where to go for HID's originally and he said that he could get the cheaper at DDM tuning. All said and done he wish he had listened to me from the start and bought them from a reputable company.

DDM Tuning's HID exchange policy also requires you to pay $20 for an exchange even if they have failed prematurely. It's claimed to cover the cost of shipping and administrative costs. So if you have a HID kit fail from DDM tuning your $30 kit + Shipping now turned into a $50 Kit plus shipping and you have to ship it back to them which is going to cost you even more. All said and done you have now paid over $60 on an HID kit if it fails and you could have got a legitimate kit from a quality company for just a little more. You would also have a hassle free return policy if in fact the kit failed prematurely.

There will still be people here who have had kits for 3 years - 5 years and whatever and thats great, you are the lucky ones. I can also list about 10 people I know who have had them and had them fail.

On this particular BMW regular HID kits won't work anyway unless you have the car coded.
So you need to buy a CANBUS HID Kit or it will throw errors or not work at all. The only reputable HID kit I've seen here is the HPB HID kit. There are few other vendors selling lighting and hid kits, and they also have very poor reviews from time to time even here on E90. HPB is www.highperformancebulbs.com for those that dont know. I would give them a shout if your looking for any LED or HID's.
E3r2E9r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Lifted07Duramax
Major
 
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: springfield, mo

Posts: 1,360
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3r2E9r View Post
DDM tuning hids normally have bad reviews. My friend recently got them and in less then 2 weeks they failed. I told him where to go for HID's originally and he said that he could get the cheaper at DDM tuning. All said and done he wish he had listened to me from the start and bought them from a reputable company.

DDM Tuning's HID exchange policy also requires you to pay $20 for an exchange even if they have failed prematurely. It's claimed to cover the cost of shipping and administrative costs. So if you have a HID kit fail from DDM tuning your $30 kit + Shipping now turned into a $50 Kit plus shipping and you have to ship it back to them which is going to cost you even more. All said and done you have now paid over $60 on an HID kit if it fails and you could have got a legitimate kit from a quality company for just a little more. You would also have a hassle free return policy if in fact the kit failed prematurely.

There will still be people here who have had kits for 3 years - 5 years and whatever and thats great, you are the lucky ones. I can also list about 10 people I know who have had them and had them fail.

On this particular BMW regular HID kits won't work anyway unless you have the car coded.
So you need to buy a CANBUS HID Kit or it will throw errors or not work at all. The only reputable HID kit I've seen here is the HPB HID kit. There are few other vendors selling lighting and hid kits, and they also have very poor reviews from time to time even here on E90. HPB is www.highperformancebulbs.com for those that dont know. I would give them a shout if your looking for any LED or HID's.
Thanks for the info

What bulb part number do I need to get rid of that amber look of my corner lights in the headlights
Lifted07Duramax is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
E3r2E9r
Banned
 
Drives: 3 Series
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NE

Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Duramax View Post
Thanks for the info

What bulb part number do I need to get rid of that amber look of my corner lights in the headlights
There are many people who reference corner lights and front blinkers.
There is a tiny corner light literally in the corner of some BMW's. You cannot change it. You can have it coded to shut off or if you are good with electrics you can solder in your own LED.

If you need front turn signals in LED HPB also offers a high powered turn signal. I have them personally as well as their interior LED kit. Stellar products and service from them.
E3r2E9r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
Lifted07Duramax
Major
 
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: springfield, mo

Posts: 1,360
iTrader: (1)

How do you code out the light to shut it off?
Lifted07Duramax is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 03:53 AM   #11
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
 
Mahhvinn's Avatar
 
Drives: backwards
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Jose, CA (Bay Area)

Posts: 7,908
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGmatthew View Post
DDM has coilovers!? Well, at least my 3k hid fogs are the temp they're supposed to be.
__________________
LTMW|SPEEDELEMENT|EUROPROJEKTZ

#TeamStretchNPoke
Mahhvinn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
SleepyWeasel
New Member
 
SleepyWeasel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NC

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3r2E9r View Post
DDM tuning hids normally have bad reviews. My friend recently got them and in less then 2 weeks they failed. I told him where to go for HID's originally and he said that he could get the cheaper at DDM tuning. All said and done he wish he had listened to me from the start and bought them from a reputable company.

DDM Tuning's HID exchange policy also requires you to pay $20 for an exchange even if they have failed prematurely. It's claimed to cover the cost of shipping and administrative costs. So if you have a HID kit fail from DDM tuning your $30 kit + Shipping now turned into a $50 Kit plus shipping and you have to ship it back to them which is going to cost you even more. All said and done you have now paid over $60 on an HID kit if it fails and you could have got a legitimate kit from a quality company for just a little more. You would also have a hassle free return policy if in fact the kit failed prematurely.

There will still be people here who have had kits for 3 years - 5 years and whatever and thats great, you are the lucky ones. I can also list about 10 people I know who have had them and had them fail.

On this particular BMW regular HID kits won't work anyway unless you have the car coded.
So you need to buy a CANBUS HID Kit or it will throw errors or not work at all. The only reputable HID kit I've seen here is the HPB HID kit. There are few other vendors selling lighting and hid kits, and they also have very poor reviews from time to time even here on E90. HPB is www.highperformancebulbs.com for those that dont know. I would give them a shout if your looking for any LED or HID's.
My son received a bad HID bulb from DDM for his Mazda. He called DDM, went through his trouble shooting steps, they confirmed it was a bad bulb. He had to provide a picture of the bulb with the wires cut and they sent him a new bulb. Didn't cost him anything.
__________________
Be Polite. Be Professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
SleepyWeasel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
techwhiz
Lieutenant Colonel
 
techwhiz's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca

Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (3)

DDM used to be ApexCone.
Started by a BMW enthusiast.

I used the HID's on multiple cars. They honor the lifetime warranty.
I now have them on my Honda VFR.
techwhiz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
tigermack
OPN DIFF
 
tigermack's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' 330i MT TiAg
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pacific Ocean

Posts: 1,272
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to tigermack
I have DDM HID kits on multiple cars, no problems. They also honor the warranty very well, one of the kits had a bulb that would not start the first time without turning on the switch a few times.
__________________
M-tech front\Hartge CF lip\blacklines\M3 wheel\BMW P.E.\BMS powerbox\ST coils\BBS GT4

e36 - racecar - SCCA STX #188

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
tigermack is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Rotary Rasp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal - Torrance

Posts: 1,622
iTrader: (6)

I've had several ddm kits. They have all been good. One ballast died after 4-5 years, but for $20 (ballast only) it exceeded my expectations.
__________________
Rotary Rasp is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Lifted07Duramax
Major
 
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: springfield, mo

Posts: 1,360
iTrader: (1)

Since I have HID headlights would getting them even make a difference?
And how do I code out my amber lights
Lifted07Duramax is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
E3r2E9r
Banned
 
Drives: 3 Series
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NE

Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyWeasel View Post
My son received a bad HID bulb from DDM for his Mazda. He called DDM, went through his trouble shooting steps, they confirmed it was a bad bulb. He had to provide a picture of the bulb with the wires cut and they sent him a new bulb. Didn't cost him anything.
That's awesome. How long ago was this? I'm just reiterating their current policy today. I rather just buy from a company with excellent products and good customer service. I rather not have to deal with even submitting a product for warranty, I rather just have stuff work out of the box. There are plenty of horror stories to go along with the success stories. Historically, there are too many horror stories to go along with the good. A google search will easily show this.
E3r2E9r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
GarageKeptE92
Banned
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

I'm an avid believer that you get what you par for is right most of the time. After reading a thread like this about a year ago on a different forum I said for the money let me find out what is the deal with these HID Kits from DDM Tuning. Needless to say I was disapointed out of the gate. I installed them. The first time out they flickered and I had to shut them off and turn them back on. They fired up shortly after. All seemed well. A couple months down the road I had the same problem and they wouldn't turn on. I had to turn them off and on and they would eventually go on. This got to the point where I had to habitually turn the headlights on and off before they would turn on. I went through there troubleshooting process and it seemed to stem from a bad bulb as I switched ballast and not the bulbs and the problem still remained on one side. So I went through the process of getting a warranty claim through, and I had to pay the shipping charges. I got the new bulb and everything seemed fine. Then no more then a week later that same side wouldn't turn on. Troubleshooted again, and it seemed it was the ballast as I switched ballast and it worked. I cut my losses right there and through the damn things out. I can read 100 more reviews of peoples HID kits working from DDM tuning. I'm normally a busy person throughout the day and I dont like taking up my spare time to troubleshoot HID's every other week. I'll stick with a more reputable company and pay a few extra dollars. You have to ask yourself why they are so damn cheap if everyone else charges nearly 2x more.
GarageKeptE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
SleepyWeasel
New Member
 
SleepyWeasel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NC

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3r2E9r View Post
That's awesome. How long ago was this? I'm just reiterating their current policy today. I rather just buy from a company with excellent products and good customer service. I rather not have to deal with even submitting a product for warranty, I rather just have stuff work out of the box. There are plenty of horror stories to go along with the success stories. Historically, there are too many horror stories to go along with the good. A google search will easily show this.
Last month. He's happy with them, all that matters. He won't have the car for more than a year or two, so if they last that long it's a good deal.
__________________
Be Polite. Be Professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
SleepyWeasel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #20
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Rotary Rasp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal - Torrance

Posts: 1,622
iTrader: (6)

Sounds more like a PWM issue with your car honestly. Did you every try running them directly off the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageKeptE92 View Post
I'm an avid believer that you get what you par for is right most of the time. After reading a thread like this about a year ago on a different forum I said for the money let me find out what is the deal with these HID Kits from DDM Tuning. Needless to say I was disapointed out of the gate. I installed them. The first time out they flickered and I had to shut them off and turn them back on. They fired up shortly after. All seemed well. A couple months down the road I had the same problem and they wouldn't turn on. I had to turn them off and on and they would eventually go on. This got to the point where I had to habitually turn the headlights on and off before they would turn on. I went through there troubleshooting process and it seemed to stem from a bad bulb as I switched ballast and not the bulbs and the problem still remained on one side. So I went through the process of getting a warranty claim through, and I had to pay the shipping charges. I got the new bulb and everything seemed fine. Then no more then a week later that same side wouldn't turn on. Troubleshooted again, and it seemed it was the ballast as I switched ballast and it worked. I cut my losses right there and through the damn things out. I can read 100 more reviews of peoples HID kits working from DDM tuning. I'm normally a busy person throughout the day and I dont like taking up my spare time to troubleshoot HID's every other week. I'll stick with a more reputable company and pay a few extra dollars. You have to ask yourself why they are so damn cheap if everyone else charges nearly 2x more.
__________________
Rotary Rasp is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #21
igor_ki
Captain
 
igor_ki's Avatar
 
Drives: A LIL BIMMER
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 970
iTrader: (4)

will the ddm error cancelers make the set error free on my 08 e90?
igor_ki is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST