E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Windscreen washer jets not working

09-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #45
Josh1a1h
Colonel

Drives: SB Pre-LCI 335i

Cheers for that bud. I couldn't find it myself
      10-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #46
sa12

Drives: 320d M sport

I just cleaned the filter on my 320d today ready for winter.

Hardest part I found was getting the wheel arch liner off. There's a 'sneaky' plastic nut on the underside that you cannot see until you completely remove a plastic part that's bolted over the top if it! The top part of the liner is also slotted into the wheel arch 'v-groove' and needs some force to remove it - I thought i'd end up bending the wheel arch itself with the amount of force I had to use!!

Took me around 1.5hrs but would be a lot quicker now that I've done it once. Washer jets are back to squirting full blast now.

Looking at the crud on the filter, I believe that using the compressor clean method would only be a temporary fix as the stuff is like a really sticky gelatinous substance that took some cleaning effort to shift.
      01-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #47
agolebio
Registered

Drives: BM 330D

has any of you guys tried a chemical for unclogging bathroom drain pipes?
This is what I want to try first before disassembling, I think this will help since it's pretty aggressive and dissolves all that grime and dirt from water.

or if this happened to be too invasive I might try baking soda + vinegar first
      01-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #48
coopersim
Captain

Drives: VW Lupo

I'd be worried of spraying the residual chemical on the car afterwards. It's only an hour or so to do the job properly, then remember to use the BMW screenwash after to prevent a repeat
coopersim is offline   United Kingdom
      01-30-2013, 03:36 AM   #49
davyk31
Brigadier General

Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD

As well as the worry about what you spray on your paint I would be worried about the effect of the strong chemicals on all the plastic components in there. The job really isn't that tricky to do properly and once you have it done you will know everything is cleaned out and sorted.
      02-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #50
Markypoo
Private

Drives: E92 330d

My washer pump was working but nothing spraying on the screen, I knew a pipe was off as could see the water running from the bottom of the car so checked under the filter panel first and found the pipe had popped off the driver side jet, what an easy fix
      03-23-2013, 03:24 AM   #51
safety_james
Safety Car Driver

Drives: E92 330D & E92 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 330D  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [2.75]
Just want to say thanks for this thread, because now I have working windscreen washers without having to go to the dealers or a garage..

I wasn't bothered it didn't work when I purchased the car last Monday, just wanted to get it home!

Did this on Wednesday, the whole job only took about 40 mins, pretty straightforward! Couldn't believe the amount of slime on both filters!

Is there a recommended screenwash that will prevent this happening in the future?
      11-11-2013, 05:05 AM   #52
GrantF

Drives: 2011 E93 320d (Blue)

Had this start on my (under 3 year old) 60 plate E93 with 18k miles on last week.

I suspected it may be the clogged windscreen pump filter issue, as my neighbour had this happen to his 2003 E96 M3 last year, but I was surprised it had happened to my car so soon.

Anyway I stripped the wheel arch liner and removed the reservoir bottle and cleaned the windscreen washer pump filter. A bit of patience and some basic tools are all that is required for this job.

One thing I'd recommend when carrying out this fix is the total removal and cleaning of the washer reservoir 'bottle', as I was quite surprised at the amount of residual cludge which was stuck to the inside of the reservoir, I took mine into the kitchen and flushed it with lots of very hot water, and it took a few flushes to get it properly clean inside. Hopefully this thorough clean out with further delay the onset of it congealing up and returning.

Cheers
Grant