Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Rear tires completely bald after only 5,000 miles WTF!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-27-2013, 02:36 AM   #67
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
Moral of the story....The OP knows next to nothing about a car that he has spent thousands of dollars on. Let him keep wearing tires out...He will figure it out eventually.

Calm down there Sally, I have been traveling with business, I haven't had the chance to check the tire brand yet, will post shortly...

''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #68
me92
Rep
Drives: 335

subscribed. LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #69
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

I for one don't understand how one is a car enthusiast (with $1000s in mods on the car) without knowing what tires are on it? It's the one and only part on the car responsible for acceleration, braking, and cornering performance at the same time. good tires=good performance.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #70
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transport3r View Post
I for one don't understand how one is a car enthusiast (with $1000s in mods on the car) without knowing what tires are on it? It's the one and only part on the car responsible for acceleration, braking, and cornering performance at the same time. good tires=good performance.
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 01:17 AM   #71
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep

Quote:
I bought the tires as a package deal with the m359 wheels, I didn't have the tire brand memorized...

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #72
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep

The rear tire specs are (the ones that are bald):

Brand: Invo
265/30zr1993w
Tubeless Steel Belted Radials, non runflats

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #73
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthedemo View Post
The rear tire specs are (the ones that are bald):

Brand: Invo
265/30zr1993w
Tubeless Steel Belted Radials, non runflats
I think you mean the Brand are Nitto, they make a tire called the Invo.
Generally they are seen as a decent tire, a bit worse than your Conti DW, Hankook V12, Goodyear F1, etc... but not nearly as bad as the crap Federals, Nankang, Achilles,...

They should not be wearing that fast, it's probably due to having the car dropped without an alignment. How aggressive was the drop?

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #74
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Wide Load

You obviously don't know much anout cars which is fine dude, just remeber anytime you drop you car or work on main suspension pieces an alignment is needed. Now that you know this go get new tires and get a proper alignment. You should be fine after that/ Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #75
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I still would like to see a pic of the "even wear" across the tread of the tire...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #76
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I feel better after the loooooong wait seeing that brand isn't even on my "short list" of tires I'd ever put on any of my cars.

OP, good luck with it all.
      01-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #77
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

This thread made me LOL multiple times...

So surprising that someone who is enough of an enthusiast to install coilovers does not also research and carefully select their tires--even those that come with a package deal.

There is nothing wrong with that...it is just odd.

Good luck with your new tires and alignment OP!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #78
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
This thread made me LOL multiple times...

So surprising that someone who is enough of an enthusiast to install coilovers does not also research and carefully select their tires--even those that come with a package deal.

There is nothing wrong with that...it is just odd.

Good luck with your new tires and alignment OP!
+1

It's ok to forget what brand tires you have, not really a big deal.

I would have expected the brand of tire to be included in his very first post. Why ask for this community to help solve a problem, when you don't include vital information.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #79
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think you mean the Brand are Nitto, they make a tire called the Invo.
Generally they are seen as a decent tire, a bit worse than your Conti DW, Hankook V12, Goodyear F1, etc... but not nearly as bad as the crap Federals, Nankang, Achilles,...

They should not be wearing that fast, it's probably due to having the car dropped without an alignment. How aggressive was the drop?

Thanks for the clarification, I guess I need to take more time learning about tire brands etc. I appreciate the info guys. To address your questions about the drop, you can see a pic on the first page of this thread.

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #80
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonecure View Post
+1

It's ok to forget what brand tires you have, not really a big deal.

I would have expected the brand of tire to be included in his very first post. Why ask for this community to help solve a problem, when you don't include vital information.
Well I was initially shocked that my tires were bald, and I made the post in haste, it was just meant to gather general information.

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #81
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Get an alignment dont. Your rear toe is probably way out of spec which is common with the design of our rear suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #82
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
Get an alignment dont.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #83
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
Get an alignment dont. Your rear toe is probably way out of spec which is common with the design of our rear suspension.
Let's try and save this thread...

What camber/toe specs are you guys running front/rear? Agreed that factory toe specs are way too aggressive out back for these cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #84
Beemerized KC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sports Package

Help-Bridgestone Potenza 960 AS RFT Burnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkor View Post
Ok, wheels are different widths, so the tires will be too, that means they are staggered. Staggered sets wear quicker in the rear, by about 40% over the fronts. The manufacturers warranties on staggered setups is usually cut by 50% of the advertised warranty as a result of the wear.

Tires have a set of numbers on the side, along with their name. Just look at them, should be 2xx/xx/r19, fill in the x's and give us the brand and model.

RFT stands for run flat tire, if you don't know, look for a circle that says RFT on the side wall of the tire, if it isn't there, they are not.

UTQG is the wear grade of a tire, range is about 90 to 600 and varies between manufacturers. The lower the rating, the quicker the wear but greater dry grip as well.

Tailing out a bit on corners will cause feathering of the edges on tires but usually does not cause extreme wear over the life of the tire unless it is regular and you really let it slip.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

I am new member here, so can't even create a new thread. However, could you please see if you could share your inputs with me around a situation I am facing.
I brought 2 Bridgestone Potenza 960 AS PP RFT's (One at 54k and the other one at 62k respectively) and both are now completely bald and my car's run only about 70k as of today. These tires came with 40K mile warranty on them so I suspected they would have lasted me at least 25-30k.
On contacting Bridgestone, my initial warranty claim was completely denied (which seems to be a trend with most of these companies these days).

On pursuing the matter furthur with the corporate tech support, the dealership indeed did more examination and determined that the inner side of the one on the left was worn way more (although the rest of the tire is completely bald too). This was the tire with just about 8k miles on it.

The other tire has a complete even wearout after running about 16k miles.

After a good amount of argument, I am being offered 50% credit on the price of these tires.

Should I take the deal or pursue the matter furthur? (The dealer tells me he would need to send the tire to Bridgestone and in all probabilities, their response would not be favourable).
After pursuing and fighting hard, the dealer is now giving me 50% off a set of new tire(along with free installation). Should I be taking this deal or pursuing furthur?

Any advice around what could have led to the inner side on the left being a little more worn out than the rest of the tire will also be much appreciated.

Thanks
KC
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #85
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerized KC View Post
Any advice around what could have led to the inner side on the left being a little more worn out than the rest of the tire will also be much appreciated.
Have you put the car on an alignment rack yet? That data would obviously help answer your question.
Appreciate 0