E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Glove box help - E91

01-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
nush e91
Rep
Drives: E91

Glove box help - E91

Does anyone know if there an emergency release for the glove box underneath the lower panel possibly?

I had a backpack in the passenger footwell which got caught on the glove box handle as I pulled it out (from the drivers seat as I was getting out the car). The handle got over extended out/upwards (glove box in closed position). Basically as if someone wrenched the open but without opening the glove box if that is even possible.

I pushed the handle back in but lock barrel has come out and the glove box won't open
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

Looking on the mechanism of mine, there is only the handle, no secret connected wires or anything else, I fear it might need to be brute force, or worse still, smashing/drilling a hole through the handle!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

Just had a quick look in TIS, even to remove the entire glovebox, you would need to access 6 screws inside the glovebox itself, it's not looking good I'm afraid! Is there no way you can access the mechanism without using the handle? Maybe flat bladed screwdriver, or thin nosed pliers?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
nush e91
Rep
Drives: E91

Thanks for checking. I only had a quick look/feel in the lock hole in the dark last night and there didn't seem to be anything but will investigate further. Prising it open will be a last resort!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Deon
Rep
Drives: 2005 320i steptronic

The same thing happened to my Mitsu L200 truck. I managed to get the screws out by prising the lid open slightly and then using a needle nose pliers.
Afterwards with all the parts out on the bench in proper light, I saw it would be possible to use a piece of wire bent in a L-shape to manipulate the catch and open the lid.
Luckily in my case nothing was broken or damaged and I could fix the problem and reassemble the glovebox.

Good luck...
Appreciate 0