E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Injector service question



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
andrew335i
Banned
2
Rep
96
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newburgh, NY

iTrader: (0)

Injector service question

I brought my 09 335i coupe to bmw because I was getting loud ticking in engine area. They said the ticking sounds like the fuel injectors and they RECOMMENDED I take my car to a place that cleans injectors. Wtf? I always hear about people getting them replaced! Does something more severe need to happen to them before they are replaced?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
DarkNemesis
Captain
Canada
14
Rep
852
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Is your ticking sound electrical sound like an electric shock?
Or what?

Also i don't think it is the lifters as that issues does not seem to be on the 335i cars.

Love to hear what others say.
I am surprised dealer told you to get them cleaned, why didn't they offer to clean them and charge ridiculous price for it.

Can anyone recommend a good injector cleaner DIY or product for the N54?

DN
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
andrew335i
Banned
2
Rep
96
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newburgh, NY

iTrader: (0)

My car is under new car warranty still. I've seen a DIY for it but no way in hell I am taking out my own Injectors.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
jwalker87
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
295
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2011 e90 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

"Cleaning" injectors? I've never heard of that on direct-injection engines. The ticking is normal for the 335, mine does it even after replacing 4 of the injectors with brand new ones (no, I didn't replace them because they were ticking). They sounded the same as the old, 60k mile injectors.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
andrew335i
Banned
2
Rep
96
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newburgh, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker87
"Cleaning" injectors? I've never heard of that on direct-injection engines. The ticking is normal for the 335, mine does it even after replacing 4 of the injectors with brand new ones (no, I didn't replace them because they were ticking). They sounded the same as the old, 60k mile injectors.
Ok no the ticking is not normal so get your car fixed. This is something that gradually got worse in my car and now it's annoying
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
42
Rep
3,607
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew335i View Post
I brought my 09 335i coupe to bmw because I was getting loud ticking in engine area. They said the ticking sounds like the fuel injectors and they RECOMMENDED I take my car to a place that cleans injectors. Wtf? I always hear about people getting them replaced! Does something more severe need to happen to them before they are replaced?
Probably valve train ticking. When injectors go the car runs on less than 6 cylinders and shakes like crazy. My first three went at about 40,000 miles. Next three went at about 45-50,000 miles. It's a known issue but they only fix them as they fail even though they know the balance will fail.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
DarkNemesis
Captain
Canada
14
Rep
852
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

So, what exactly is the cause of the ticking, if someone has actually solved it in a n54?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
42
Rep
3,607
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
So, what exactly is the cause of the ticking, if someone has actually solved it in a n54?
noisy valvetrain usually. Make sure oil is topped up. Usually goes away when engine warm? Not sure how you solve it. I had that on occasion and I gather it is fairly typical and normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
andrew335i
Banned
2
Rep
96
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newburgh, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
So, what exactly is the cause of the ticking, if someone has actually solved it in a n54?
noisy valvetrain usually. Make sure oil is topped up. Usually goes away when engine warm? Not sure how you solve it. I had that on occasion and I gather it is fairly typical and normal.
Again, it's not normal. Maybe you guys have a different ticking. If this was normal then it would not be something to start little, and casually get louder to where I can hear it 50-70 feet away.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
3s4u2
Beamer Mantic
3s4u2's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
794
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i Prem
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Take a look at this! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13504
__________________
2006 325i
2006 M5


Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
DarkNemesis
Captain
Canada
14
Rep
852
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s4u2
This does not apply to N54 engines.

As for 50 to 70 feet away.
No I can not hear it beyond 8-10 feet away.

Lifter ticking on e90 other than 335i is very different than the 335i ticking.
Metallic ticking vs electrical ticking.

DN
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
andrew335i
Banned
2
Rep
96
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newburgh, NY

iTrader: (0)

I know what lifter ticking sounds like. I've gone through oil deprivation on my 330ci before (on accident of course). It's not that. It's not even a repetitive tick... The timing is diff between each tick.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
DarkNemesis
Captain
Canada
14
Rep
852
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew335i
I know what lifter ticking sounds like. I've gone through oil deprivation on my 330ci before (on accident of course). It's not that. It's not even a repetitive tick... The timing is diff between each tick.
When I start my 335i, no ticking from cold start till about 1.5 min exactly.
If really cold outside, then no ticking for about 4-5 min.

Here is the interesting thing:
After ticking starts, give it like 8-10 more min of idling, have a smoke.
Then ticking stops for like 8 min.
Then starts again.

Dealer shop foreman, said.
It might be the build up from the charcoal filter in the back, coming forward towards left side of engine and engine processing it.
Said normal for this car.

I am going to keep search for a understandable answer....lol

DN
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
andrew335i
Banned
2
Rep
96
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newburgh, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew335i
I know what lifter ticking sounds like. I've gone through oil deprivation on my 330ci before (on accident of course). It's not that. It's not even a repetitive tick... The timing is diff between each tick.
When I start my 335i, no ticking from cold start till about 1.5 min exactly.
If really cold outside, then no ticking for about 4-5 min.

Here is the interesting thing:
After ticking starts, give it like 8-10 more min of idling, have a smoke.
Then ticking stops for like 8 min.
Then starts again.

Dealer shop foreman, said.
It might be the build up from the charcoal filter in the back, coming forward towards left side of engine and engine processing it.
Said normal for this car.

I am going to keep search for a understandable answer....lol

DN
Nothing about it getting louder.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #15
DarkNemesis
Captain
Canada
14
Rep
852
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Andrew335i,
Nope, not louder.
Stays the same level.

Make a video of the noise and open your hood.
The point to where you think the noise is coming from.
I will do the same, let's see if it is the same.

Ps: was told today by a highly reputable local Indy shop, to ad BG44R every 7500km to clean injectors.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #16
andrew335i
Banned
2
Rep
96
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newburgh, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis
Andrew335i,
Nope, not louder.
Stays the same level.

Make a video of the noise and open your hood.
The point to where you think the noise is coming from.
I will do the same, let's see if it is the same.

Ps: was told today by a highly reputable local Indy shop, to ad BG44R every 7500km to clean injectors.
Funny you me ruined that. Did a combo of oil change (I went from mobil 0w-40 to GC 0w-30) and techron injector cleaner a week ago and the car is sound!! My cars always seemed to be louder (this is my third 3 series) with mobil.. Not even sure why I used it again.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #17
DarkNemesis
Captain
Canada
14
Rep
852
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Andrew335i,

If you think it is your injectors, then, take the plastic engine cover off.
Very easy, and you should be able to read the part #s of all your injectors.

Then look up the injector recall thread to make sure you have the correct part #.

2nd. But 2 cans of BG 44K.
Fill up, shell premium. And ad 1 can.
Run complete 2 tanks, even 3.

Then fill up, and ad, the 2 can of BG 44k.

Then wait for the cleaning for 2 to 3 tanks.
Let's see what happens.

Most importantly, update your injectors, if they are old recall onces.

Regards,
DN
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
andrew335i
Banned
2
Rep
96
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newburgh, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis
Andrew335i,

If you think it is your injectors, then, take the plastic engine cover off.
Very easy, and you should be able to read the part #s of all your injectors.

Then look up the injector recall thread to make sure you have the correct part #.

2nd. But 2 cans of BG 44K.
Fill up, shell premium. And ad 1 can.
Run complete 2 tanks, even 3.

Then fill up, and ad, the 2 can of BG 44k.

Then wait for the cleaning for 2 to 3 tanks.
Let's see what happens.

Most importantly, update your injectors, if they are old recall onces.

Regards,
DN
I will Check the pn's. car is a 2009
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
DarkNemesis
Captain
Canada
14
Rep
852
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Sorry Andrew335i

Forgot to mention.
My dealership advised me injector cleaning should be performed every year or 15km.

They offered a 2 hour service to clean them.
They did not elaborate the procedure.

Get yours cleaned with BG 44K.

DN
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #20
DarkNemesis
Captain
Canada
14
Rep
852
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I just won an eBay listing for 2 cans of BG 44K for 30 including delivery.

Gona try it.
DN
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST