E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #2311
andrew335i
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newburgh, NY

Posts: 96
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTandel
I've had a similar knocking noise. I scanned my car and codes 2E35 and 29D2 popped up and it ended up being my fuel injector. I went ahead and replaced it and it runs like a champ with no knocking at all =)
I have an n54 and had ticking noise. I brought it to bmw and they said I should get fuel injector service done to my car. So basically they told me my injectors are going bad but they can't so anything about it

With that said; fuel injectors is a big possibility.
andrew335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #2312
andrew335i
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Newburgh, NY

Posts: 96
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy55
Sorry for the newbie question, but my 06 330i has this ticking noise pretty bad. Startup and after I've driven the car for a while. Does this affect performance or longevity of the engine? My 330i is out of warranty and wouldn't wanna be paying an arm and a leg to fix something that doesn't need to be fix ASAP. Thanks!
Whoever said dont worry about it.. Is wrong. Wether it's fuel injectors.. Or your lifters.. Both will cause damage to the engine if not treated immediately therefore effecting longitivtiy.

My story; I had an 01 330ci. I had lifter noise for 6 months that I thought was just a belt. Turns out I was really low on oil but had no clue at all. I was so concerned with what damage I may have some to my car that I sold it.
andrew335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #2313
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to LittleBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedToBavarian
I'm under warranty still and get this every now and again on cold days. I probably won't have it looked at because I don't trust anyone taking on such a big job on a car like replacing the head for a "non-issue".
I beg to differ , dealer had changed my heads twice to finally sound like a humm when running versus a Diesel engine . Get the heads done, it's a one piece replacement and not bunch of parts, it is pre loaded from what I am being told and its the matter of removing the old head and putting new gasket and replacing it with a new one . I highly recommend it .
LittleBlue is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #2314
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to LittleBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTandel
I've had a similar knocking noise. I scanned my car and codes 2E35 and 29D2 popped up and it ended up being my fuel injector. I went ahead and replaced it and it runs like a champ with no knocking at all =)
I have an n54 and had ticking noise. I brought it to bmw and they said I should get fuel injector service done to my car. So basically they told me my injectors are going bad but they can't so anything about it

With that said; fuel injectors is a big possibility.
Don't fall for that there is enough documentation on that issue to argue that !!! Don't pay for something unnecessarily !!!
LittleBlue is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #2315
doublemj
Registered
 
Drives: 2008 E90
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a 2009 320i E90 and this morning while coming to work the engine stopped at a traffic light. The A/C was switched off at that time. I was able to start it without any issues and no error codes were displayed and car was running normal after that.

To start the troubleshooting I will pump 98 octane petrol and have a look.

Any ideas
doublemj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #2316
jacobsed
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 425
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublemj View Post
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a 2009 320i E90 and this morning while coming to work the engine stopped at a traffic light. The A/C was switched off at that time. I was able to start it without any issues and no error codes were displayed and car was running normal after that.

To start the troubleshooting I will pump 98 octane petrol and have a look.

Any ideas
What does this have to do with ticking? Go start your own thread.
jacobsed is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #2317
QUiKSR20
E90 Apprentice
 
QUiKSR20's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' E90 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tinton Falls, NJ

Posts: 774
iTrader: (10)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to QUiKSR20
This thread is for N52 3.0 Non Turbo Motors only nothing should be posted about N54 or any other motors.
__________________
-DG:.
08 E90 328i Sport 6MT Audio Build
92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
89 E30 325is [sold & missed]
QUiKSR20 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #2318
baege
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, CAnada

Posts: 306
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlue View Post
I beg to differ , dealer had changed my heads twice to finally sound like a humm when running versus a Diesel engine . Get the heads done, it's a one piece replacement and not bunch of parts, it is pre loaded from what I am being told and its the matter of removing the old head and putting new gasket and replacing it with a new one . I highly recommend it .
It would be helpful to hear a little more detail about your experience. When did you get the first head replaced? When did the ticking sound return? When did you get the second head replaced?

For those of us on the fence about getting this issue resolved it would be helpful to know these details. If you had the head replaced and the ticking still came back then it would seem to suggest that the sound is a normal operational sound (indeed there is a thread on the e89 forum that talks about 2009 and up e89's with ticking on the n52).

If anyone else has had the head replaced and the ticking came back, it would be useful to hear from them as well.

Cheers
baege is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #2319
DanchoD
Registered
 
Drives: E93 325i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Berkshire

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

I have a late 2007 E93 325i auto with the N53 engine.

A few months back I noticed a slightly irritating ticking noise which becomes more prominent on acceleration. I've not had any error codes or loss of performance, so I just put up with it.

Curiosity got the better of me so I started looking into it and came across this thread. There was a recommendation for the N52 engine to rev to 2500rpm for 3 minutes while stationery. Even though I have the N53 I thought I'd give it a go.

After about 2 and a half minutes there was a noticeable change in rev noise and the ticks went away! But disappointingly they returned a day later. I thought I'd try it again this evening and once again the ticking has stopped.

What's wrong with my car? I have the extended BMW warranty (UK), is this problem likely to be covered under warranty?

I'm reluctant to pay the extortionate diagnostic fee!

Thanks,
DanchoD
DanchoD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #2320
DL
Captain
 
DL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N52
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 866
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanchoD View Post
I have a late 2007 E93 325i auto with the N53 engine.

A few months back I noticed a slightly irritating ticking noise which becomes more prominent on acceleration. I've not had any error codes or loss of performance, so I just put up with it.

Curiosity got the better of me so I started looking into it and came across this thread. There was a recommendation for the N52 engine to rev to 2500rpm for 3 minutes while stationery. Even though I have the N53 I thought I'd give it a go.

After about 2 and a half minutes there was a noticeable change in rev noise and the ticks went away! But disappointingly they returned a day later. I thought I'd try it again this evening and once again the ticking has stopped.

What's wrong with my car? I have the extended BMW warranty (UK), is this problem likely to be covered under warranty?

I'm reluctant to pay the extortionate diagnostic fee!

Thanks,
DanchoD
This is the most informative post on the thread. A description with the TSB via BMW USA. It is for BMW USA but it should help. See what may overlap in the UK from your service adviser.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1310

Also, this link is dated, but it includes the bleeding procedure which it seems you are doing at this time. It does not work. However, it gives a bit more information on the problem, a good read so to speak.

http://blog.bavauto.com/926/bmw-n52-...-tappet-noise/

Also, click on my signature, this is what it sounds like. It takes you to U2B.

FYI the N53 is new to me, Wiki I found interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N53
__________________
E9X Picture Game: 63 points (64-1)
My N52 before BMW USA replaced the cylinder head:www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLP-RkFGXM

Last edited by DL; 02-10-2013 at 11:03 PM.
DL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #2321
phozenstone
Brigadier General
 
phozenstone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 Montego Blue
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

Posts: 4,862
iTrader: (71)

Has anyone successfully gotten BMW to replace the head with your car OUT of warranty?
__________________
E92 Xdrive / Montego Blue / M3 Black Novillo Leather / OEM 351M 19" Wheels / Mtech Rear w/ IS Diffuser / Aero Lip / LCI Tailights / M3 Steering Wheel w/Paddles / 40% Huper Optik / Lux V3 / 4300K HID Fogs / Dynavin N6 / 3 Stage Intake Manifold / Magnaflow Dual Exhaust Conversion 4" Tips / K&N Filter w/ charcoal delete / Active Autowerke Stage 2 Tune / KW V1 Coilovers / BMW Performance Strut Bar
phozenstone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #2322
alarroyo
Private
 
alarroyo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio

Posts: 57
iTrader: (0)

Me, about a year ago, my 06 330i with 23K miles sounded like a diesel. It was a hard battle but eventually BMW NA came through and authorized a goodwill repair. Car has been running great since.
alarroyo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #2323
Saintor
Colonel
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MTL, Canada

Posts: 2,386
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
Has anyone successfully gotten BMW to replace the head with your car OUT of warranty?
That was the question I had in mind.

Mine had this issue and that was corrected 2-3 years ago by the dealer. Now at 72K miles it is back and worse than ever.

Disappointment is an understatement.
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers
Saintor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #2324
drummerboi75
Registered
 
Drives: BMW E90 318i SE (2006)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Scotland

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Hey guys.. sorry to interupt the thread... I'm new on the site. I'm after some wheel advice... I just bought an E90 318i se I'm looking to upgrade the alloys to a style like VMR v710's or 3sdm 0.01's .. Not sure what will best fit this car 18's of 19's.. can anyone help? Thanks ... Alan
drummerboi75 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #2325
mjm22
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

2007 328xi - 72,xxx. I have had this problem for a while. Dealer has done everything from change spark plugs, spark plug wires, cam shaft sensor, etc. Last week the dealer replaced 12 roller drag lever (11-33-7-631-589) and either replaced or performed 12 alignment element (11-33-7-605-330). This was covered under extended warranty. Two days later and 500 highway miles the car sounds the same when started.

I am seriously contemplating pursuing legal action against BMW. Are there others out there on the forum who have tried this avenue? Are there others who would be interested in seeking legal remedies? A class action suit would be a serious wake-up call for our friends at BMW.

--Matthew
mjm22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #2326
RGB
Private First Class
 
RGB's Avatar
 
Drives: 325i Auto.Active Steering
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sevilla Spain

Posts: 178
iTrader: (0)

May car, 325i N52, year 2006, does the tickling sound since a few years ago, only some times, when recently started and desapears when warm.

Most of my driving is in city and I have noticed that in vacation time, when I do lots of highway driving it never happens.

I will mention it to my BMW dealer and report you.
__________________
[IMG][/IMG]
RGB is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #2327
miringrains
blacks on blacks on blacks on racks
 
Drives: '11.5 M3 E93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York

Posts: 703
iTrader: (2)

I hear it when i idle, and it drives me nuts. What can i do to fix it??
miringrains is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #2328
stasha
Private
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

There is a very similar thread of complaints about this aggravating ticking, for which dealers come up with bogus compalints, and the BME Corporation denies claims and denies the problem.

(See http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...1#post13678326)

Someone suggested that a video be posted of shots/sound bytes of owners' ticking cars, and put this up on UTube to go viral.

Wanna see a corporation jump thru hoops to counter this???

Who on this forum has the skills to put one together? I bet if we ask for videos, there will be a flood of them.

Anyone ?
stasha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #2329
DL
Captain
 
DL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 N52
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 866
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasha View Post
There is a very similar thread of complaints about this aggravating ticking, for which dealers come up with bogus compalints, and the BME Corporation denies claims and denies the problem.

(See http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...1#post13678326)

Someone suggested that a video be posted of shots/sound bytes of owners' ticking cars, and put this up on UTube to go viral.

Wanna see a corporation jump thru hoops to counter this???

Who on this forum has the skills to put one together? I bet if we ask for videos, there will be a flood of them.

Anyone ?
Feel free to use my video.

__________________
E9X Picture Game: 63 points (64-1)
My N52 before BMW USA replaced the cylinder head:www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLP-RkFGXM
DL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #2330
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston

Posts: 220
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasha View Post
There is a very similar thread of complaints about this aggravating ticking, for which dealers come up with bogus compalints, and the BME Corporation denies claims and denies the problem.

(See http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...1#post13678326)

Someone suggested that a video be posted of shots/sound bytes of owners' ticking cars, and put this up on UTube to go viral.

Wanna see a corporation jump thru hoops to counter this???

Who on this forum has the skills to put one together? I bet if we ask for videos, there will be a flood of them.

Anyone ?
lol....I was just about to post... cool...thx stash... I think the video should be called, Before You Buy Your Bimmer or something, thats all I could come up with but I'm sure there are tons of better titles out there...
papitosabe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #2331
tsuma
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2007 E91 Alpine White 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Feel free to use mine.



I had the lifters replaced after this video was taken, but not the head. Driving the car in warmer weather minimizes the problem; also driving and reaching +3000 RPM.
tsuma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #2332
GSR187T
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CT

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

good post, i needed this info.
GSR187T is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST