E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > buzzing noise



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
fireline43
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 497
iTrader: (0)

buzzing noise

Ok so a couple of days ago, I started to get this noise from the front of the car after I have been driving it for 10 minutes or so. As I'm coming to a stop at 5-0 mph it sounds like a wind up toy dieing. It was hard to pinpoint so I didn't bring it to the dealer. Last night after I got home and locked the car I heard a buzzing noise from the front of the car instead of the normal fan sounding noise. Any ideas on whats failing?
fireline43 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Gugs
Banned
 
Drives: E92 JetBlack
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Long island

Posts: 431
iTrader: (1)

Its your water pump. Its electric and sounds like its failing.
Gugs is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
 
BMWM.D.'s Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i & C6 Grand Sport
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Barbara

Posts: 684
iTrader: (1)

For what it's worth, it's normal to hear the electric water pump run sometimes after you turn off the engine. It's circulating coolant to cool the turbos to prevent coking. Sounds like yours might be louder than normal, though.
__________________
BMWM.D. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
München
Private
 
Drives: Alpine White 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern Virgnia

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

You cannot hear the electric pump, the do not have an auxillary pump to keep the water circulating. regarless you need to let the car idle at minimum 2 mins, to avoid thrust bearing failure for the turbos. either your hearing the fan
For the DME box , or the Buzzing noise heard when you unlock the door is the pump
Being activated.
München is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 16,455
iTrader: (31)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
This car automatically cools the turbo's when you shut the car off. All that buzzing and noises you hear after the car turns off is normal.

When I first bought this car I thought it was possessed.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
fireline43
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 497
iTrader: (0)

At first I thought it was the brakes, had someone tell me it might be the transmission also. But a pump sounds pretty dead on. Its not a normal noise. I've had the car for almost a year so im used to the normal noises now.
fireline43 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
 
BMWM.D.'s Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i & C6 Grand Sport
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Barbara

Posts: 684
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by München View Post
You cannot hear the electric pump, the do not have an auxillary pump to keep the water circulating
The electric water pump DEFINITELY runs sometimes after engine shutdown, and you can certainly hear it -- especially if you park somewhere quiet. This is the reason we don't need turbo timers on these cars.

To the OP... no, it shouldn't be very loud -- more of a faint whine.

Try this test: stick your key in the slot and hit the start button to activate KL15 mode (all dash lights on). Do not start the engine. Turn the heater on full hot (84+) with the blower speed in the middle. Push the gas pedal to the floor for at least 10 seconds. This activates the cooling system bleed mode. The pump will run through it's various speeds for 10-15 minutes.

If the noise you've been hearing is the coolant pump, then you'll be able to tell during the bleed procedure, as nothing else will be running to cover up the sound. If the pump sounds normal, then it probably isn't your issue.
__________________
BMWM.D. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
E3r2E9r
Banned
 
Drives: 3 Series
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NE

Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
The electric water pump DEFINITELY runs sometimes after engine shutdown, and you can certainly hear it -- especially if you park somewhere quiet. This is the reason we don't need turbo timers on these cars.

To the OP... no, it shouldn't be very loud -- more of a faint whine.

Try this test: stick your key in the slot and hit the start button to activate KL15 mode (all dash lights on). Do not start the engine. Turn the heater on full hot (84+) with the blower speed in the middle. Push the gas pedal to the floor for at least 10 seconds. This activates the cooling system bleed mode. The pump will run through it's various speeds for 10-15 minutes.

If the noise you've been hearing is the coolant pump, then you'll be able to tell during the bleed procedure, as nothing else will be running to cover up the sound. If the pump sounds normal, then it probably isn't your issue.
Wow, cool tip! Never knew about this.
E3r2E9r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Dmacc
Colonel
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 2,618
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnchen View Post
You cannot hear the electric pump, the do not have an auxillary pump to keep the water circulating
The electric water pump DEFINITELY runs sometimes after engine shutdown, and you can certainly hear it -- especially if you park somewhere quiet. This is the reason we don't need turbo timers on these cars.

To the OP... no, it shouldn't be very loud -- more of a faint whine.

Try this test: stick your key in the slot and hit the start button to activate KL15 mode (all dash lights on). Do not start the engine. Turn the heater on full hot (84+) with the blower speed in the middle. Push the gas pedal to the floor for at least 10 seconds. This activates the cooling system bleed mode. The pump will run through it's various speeds for 10-15 minutes.

If the noise you've been hearing is the coolant pump, then you'll be able to tell during the bleed procedure, as nothing else will be running to cover up the sound. If the pump sounds normal, then it probably isn't your issue.
I like this, good info!
__________________

thanks to MGallop
Dmacc is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
fireline43
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 497
iTrader: (0)

Cars at the dealership now, so didn't get to try the test but when it comes back I want to try that! I'll let everyone know if anything comes back.
fireline43 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
ben410
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 e92 SGM 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

I'll bet it's your wastegate actuator...
ben410 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #12
München
Private
 
Drives: Alpine White 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern Virgnia

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
This is the reason we don't need turbo timers on these cars.

Try this test: stick your key in the slot and hit the start button to activate KL15 mode (all dash lights on). Do not start the engine. Turn the heater on full hot (84+) with the blower speed in the middle. Push the gas pedal to the floor for at least 10 seconds. This activates the cooling system bleed mode. The pump will run through it's various speeds for 10-15 minutes.

If the noise you've been hearing is the coolant pump, then you'll be able to tell during the bleed procedure, as nothing else will be running to cover up the sound. If the pump sounds normal, then it probably isn't your issue.
As far I have owned Turbocharged cars, I know only PORSCHE 944t
(aka 951)has a after run for coolant and the earlier 5 Cylinder Audi Turbocharged engine 2.2 inline 5 and the inline 5 DOHC turbo.

Performing that is when your bleeding the system and you activate the pump to "self" bleed the system, it does not do this when you shut off / seize engine operation, this will not perform this operation after driviing the car at a normal basis.

Correct me if im I wrong....the turbochargers "thrust bearing" floats on engine oil right? so if you are driving to your destination and are on boost by the time your reach your destination and shut off the engine, the oil pump is no longer pumping oil....causing coking and people that follow the CBS on the car and believe that the engine oil will last 15000.00 miles is main receipe of early turbo failure.

Most Turbocharged cars have the oil feed for the turbo's on top and return oil line below ( vertically) and coolant banjo fittings for coolant run horizontally
crossflow cooling.

Mini Coopers that are Turbocharged have the auxillary water pumps.... I have been wrong, so please enlighten us where is this Auxillary Water Pump on MY N54 E90 located at, since we work on these cars day in and day out.
München is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
fireline43
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 497
iTrader: (0)

Ok so got the car back from the dealership, they couldn't replicate the sound. so I got home after it made the noise a little on the way home. It's really on and off so I could definitly see them not finding it. When I got home the buzzing noise was there again after I turned off the car so I immedietly opened the hood to listen. It's coming from the left side of the engine. Sounds like an electric buzzing noise when something electric is dieing, that stopped after a minute. The car never buzzed after I turned it off before, it did make a noise after I turned it off, but not the dieing buzzing noise it's making now. That coupled with the sound when I'm stopping. I want to pinpoint this for the next time I bring it in.
fireline43 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
 
BMWM.D.'s Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i & C6 Grand Sport
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Barbara

Posts: 684
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by München View Post
Performing that is when your bleeding the system and you activate the pump to "self" bleed the system, it does not do this when you shut off / seize engine operation, this will not perform this operation after driviing the car at a normal basis.

Correct me if im I wrong....the turbochargers "thrust bearing" floats on engine oil right? so if you are driving to your destination and are on boost by the time your reach your destination and shut off the engine, the oil pump is no longer pumping oil....causing coking and people that follow the CBS on the car and believe that the engine oil will last 15000.00 miles is main receipe of early turbo failure.

Most Turbocharged cars have the oil feed for the turbo's on top and return oil line below ( vertically) and coolant banjo fittings for coolant run horizontally
crossflow cooling.

Mini Coopers that are Turbocharged have the auxillary water pumps.... I have been wrong, so please enlighten us where is this Auxillary Water Pump on MY N54 E90 located at, since we work on these cars day in and day out.

The N54 cars don't have any auxiliary water pumps. It just has one (1) powerful electric coolant pump that it uses for circulating coolant for the regular cooling system, the heater, and the turbos. The DME has programming logic that will run the pump after engine shutdown under certain conditions. I didn't engineer it, so I can't tell you when exactly. Here are a couple clips from the BMW Cooling system technical training info:

The electric coolant pump on the N54 engine features an after-running function to carry
away the heat build-up from the turbochargers after the engine has been shut down.

After-running of electric coolant pump =
improved heat dissipation from engine switch off
point. Allows protection of turbochargers by
reduced oil “coking” during heat soak.



Those are straight from BMW North America's training info, for what it's worth.

As far as the cooling system bleed procedure -- yes, it's intended use is to bleed the system after a repair. I was just telling the OP to run the bleed procedure and listen to the sound the pump makes. Since it will run through it's various speeds with the engine "off", it is very easy to hear and could help him determine if his intermittent noise is in fact his water pump. That's all. It's really hard to hear the water pump with the engine running.
__________________
BMWM.D. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST