E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW Variant 1 broken endlink tab



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
vindizzle9
Enlisted Member
 
vindizzle9's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boston MA

Posts: 38
iTrader: (2)

KW Variant 1 broken endlink tab

I just purchased a set a KW V1 coilovers for a great deal. The only catch was that the endlink tab on the front passenger strut snapped off and needed to be re-welded. I was fine with the idea of welding the tab, but the more i talk about it the more uncomfortable the idea sounds. Do you guys think a good shop can re-weld and brace the tab? The other alternative would be to send the strut back to KW for a $300 rebuild.
Attached Images
 
vindizzle9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
iDriveanXi
Private
 
Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ

Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

If done right a weld can be stronger than the surrounding metal so I don't see an issue. I would certainly take it to a reputable shop or if your lucky you know of a welder who will do it on the side. If there is a risk of KW not doing a rebuild after it's been rewelded maybe that's something to consider. I have no clue if they would take that avenue, just putting it out there.
iDriveanXi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
BRGmatthew
Bausman
 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650

Posts: 1,699
iTrader: (18)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindizzle9 View Post
I just purchased a set a KW V1 coilovers for a great deal. The only catch was that the endlink tab on the front passenger strut snapped off and needed to be re-welded. I was fine with the idea of welding the tab, but the more i talk about it the more uncomfortable the idea sounds. Do you guys think a good shop can re-weld and brace the tab? The other alternative would be to send the strut back to KW for a $300 rebuild.
IF kw is willing to take it back before the weld and rebuild the whole thing and the rebuild will come with a new endlink tab, then I would send it in.
BRGmatthew is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,383
iTrader: (4)

rewelding is fine as long as it's done properly.

if you send the shock in to get revalved, send both fronts in, not just one. otherwise the damping may not match since the other shock will be worn and the rebuilt one is essentially new on the inside.
mike-y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 02:09 AM   #5
Hybrid For Life
Banned
 
Drives: Out of Spec
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Posts: 2,119
iTrader: (4)

Try getting it welded first. If that fails, which I don't see happening, then go for the rebuild. And yes like others have said, if you do get a rebuild done make sure both fronts get rebuilt.
Hybrid For Life is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,734
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindizzle9 View Post
I just purchased a set a KW V1 coilovers for a great deal. The only catch was that the endlink tab on the front passenger strut snapped off and needed to be re-welded. I was fine with the idea of welding the tab, but the more i talk about it the more uncomfortable the idea sounds. Do you guys think a good shop can re-weld and brace the tab? The other alternative would be to send the strut back to KW for a $300 rebuild.
This is a know issue on older KW and if you are the original owner or have a receipt you will get both struts retrofitted with upgraded housings under warranty. If not, you will need to upgrade both housing as they will fail in time for sure. They usually bend first in a short amount of time. I would do a serach here to see at leat 10 others just like this.
Orb is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
vindizzle9
Enlisted Member
 
vindizzle9's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boston MA

Posts: 38
iTrader: (2)

Thanks for the great info. Much appreciated.
vindizzle9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
vindizzle9
Enlisted Member
 
vindizzle9's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boston MA

Posts: 38
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
This is a know issue on older KW and if you are the original owner or have a receipt you will get both struts retrofitted with upgraded housings under warranty. If not, you will need to upgrade both housing as they will fail in time for sure. They usually bend first in a short amount of time. I would do a serach here to see at leat 10 others just like this.
I found early threads with the same issue due to sway bars installed upside down and faulty early designs. Now all these issues have been resolved under warranty. However, i am not the original owner. So my question is, Were the early failures due to manufacturing or design flaws? I am waiting to hear back from KW with a built date on these coilovers.
vindizzle9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,734
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindizzle9 View Post
I found early threads with the same issue due to sway bars installed upside down and faulty early designs. Now all these issues have been resolved under warranty. However, i am not the original owner. So my question is, Were the early failures due to manufacturing or design flaws? I am waiting to hear back from KW with a built date on these coilovers.
The problem was due to a design flaw. This is a very well known and documented issue at KW!! This issue was a very common occurrence 3-4 years ago to the point it should have been a recall. The new strut housing has a thicker cross section roll bar mount and you can see this is some pictures. I can see that you strut is the old style roll bar mount. I had my old KW warranted due to bending a few years back now. You will need to replace both housing or it will fail again. Hopefully they will work out a deal for you.
Orb is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
vindizzle9
Enlisted Member
 
vindizzle9's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boston MA

Posts: 38
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
The problem was due to a design flaw. This is a very well known and documented issue at KW!! This issue was a very common occurrence 3-4 years ago to the point it should have been a recall. The new strut housing has a thicker cross section roll bar mount and you can see this is some pictures. I can see that you strut is the old style roll bar mount. I had my old KW warranted due to bending a few years back now. You will need to replace both housing or it will fail again. Hopefully they will work out a deal for you.
Thanks Orb!
vindizzle9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
 
335iheLLraiseR's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: sfl

Posts: 4,660
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [5.00]
Did the OP get this resolved? I'm sending in my original set and am expecting some resistance from KW.

Orb,tried PM you, but no go on this. It won't let me for some reason.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
335iheLLraiseR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #12
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i, F30 328i, F82 M4
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hudson, MA

Posts: 5,865
iTrader: (90)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
Having a reputable shop repair this would cost less than $60-70.
Tiago@VRSF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
vindizzle9
Enlisted Member
 
vindizzle9's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boston MA

Posts: 38
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
Did the OP get this resolved? I'm sending in my original set and am expecting some resistance from KW.

Orb,tried PM you, but no go on this. It won't let me for some reason.
I still haven't done anything with my coilovers. When i talked to them on the phone, they didn't seem to have any issues rebuilding the housings.
vindizzle9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #14
vindizzle9
Enlisted Member
 
vindizzle9's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boston MA

Posts: 38
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Having a reputable shop repair this would cost less than $60-70.
Hey Tiago,
Would you recommend any shops in the area? I'm local.

Thanks,
vindizzle9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #15
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i, F30 328i, F82 M4
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hudson, MA

Posts: 5,865
iTrader: (90)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
If you're willing to take the strut off the car any fabrication shop that can weld aluminum should be able to tackle this.
Tiago@VRSF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #16
thestein1016
Private
 
Drives: BMW 335
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CA

Posts: 75
iTrader: (2)

I just rewelded mine a few months ago. I originally called kW and they wouldn't honor the warranty. Instead said they would sell me a new coilover for x amount and never mentioned a rebuild...
Just pull it out and have somebody tig it back.
Shouldn't cost more than 40 bucks.
thestein1016 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST