E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Broken serpentine belt, & now car won't start!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
MISS E90
Registered
MISS E90's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Broken serpentine belt, & now car won't start!

I wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on a problem that I'm having with my 06 330i that has almost 95k miles on it.

I was driving home from a friends house and got stuck in traffic. Right after I got out of it and started to pick up speed, I heard a whining sound. (guessing from the alternator?) Figured I'll check it when I get home just to make sure it was nothing major. Kept on driving and about a minute later I get the red battery warning light coming up. I never got a yellow battery light so I thought it was strange that it jumped to red. Moments later, my power steering went out and noticed it immediately. Was not that far away from home so I thought I would make it at least close to the house if anything before the battery would shut off on me.

Shortly after seeing the red battery warning light come up, I got the Engine oil pressure level too low symbol. Pulled over on the shoulder and opened the hood and noticed my serpentine belt was gone and one of the camshaft position sensors was pulled out (guess from when the belt ripped).

So I towed the car home and ordered a new serpentine belt, tensioner, idle pulley, and camshaft sensor. I also replaced the battery, but did not register it (been going through forums that some owners did not need to register their battery if the battery is identical to OEM specs). I wanted to just start the car, I can get it registered after the car runs.

After replacing the parts, the car failed to start. I hear it cranking but will not turn over.

I have codes P0015, P0341, P1553, & P1554, researched it and found to be camshaft related issues.
Hoping the problem would go away, I was able to clear codes, P0015 and P1154, while 341 and 1553 remained.
I searched here for similar topics, and started troubleshooting what may be the culprit. Took off both solenoids, cleaned them and swapped locations. Did the same for the CPS and still nothing. I'm getting all these issues from a broken serpentine belt! I thought once the belt is replaced, the car would just go back to normal. Any solutions or anything I may have missed?

Any help would be appreciated!

The CPS was out of its place.


Took both the solenoids out.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
monkey_wrench
Caught the Bimmer-Bug
monkey_wrench's Avatar
No_Country
17
Rep
660
Posts

Drives: '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
That sucks! Any wiring damaged? Seems that if the CPS gets knocked out of the engine block some connectors and wiring may have suffered damage as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
Volasko
Lieutenant Colonel
Volasko's Avatar
Canada
112
Rep
1,676
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90 330i BSM 6MT ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
You do need to register the battery even though it is the same specs. You need to tell the car that it is a new battery so it changes its charging profile. Most people who can code can do this in 5 mins or you can have the dealer do it for an exorbitant amount.

Regarding the engine problem I agree with monkey wrench, I would check the wiring of that cam position sensor. If the broken belt was enough to tear it completely out who know what else was damaged.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
MISS E90
Registered
MISS E90's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I checked the wiring and connectors for both CPS and they looked ok. One of the CPS itself had some damaged at the sensor tip and mounting end, which was replaced.

I no longer receive code P0015 indicates "B Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)", it cleared after the new piece was put it.

I was researching more info on these codes, and another source mentioned P1553 - "Injector Circuit Range/Performance - Cylinder 3"
P1554 - "Injector Circuit Range/Performance - Cylinder 4"

Numerous of members here who experienced 1553 or 1554 says its the vanos solenoid. Now I'm confused.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
E90MYKE
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 06 325i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin TX

iTrader: (0)

I have the same problem right now. What was the final solution?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
MR.BLUECOLLARMAN
Second Lieutenant
MR.BLUECOLLARMAN's Avatar
23
Rep
270
Posts

Drives: E90 06 325i Sedan Silver
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

I have the same issues, mine won't give out any spark. I changed the crankshaft sensor because I heard it sometimes causes camshaft sensor codes like p010 or p0341. The vanos solenoids throw those codes as well. I'm just stuck at the moment with a p0341 code with no start and no spark, it's getting fuel though. I replaced all of my spark plugs, tested the coils, but still can't start it. Maybe I'm missing something you guys might of caught? ECU maybe needs reprogramming? I put in a new battery on mine and reset it, but that shouldn't stop the car from starting :/. I'm gonna start looking into ignition modules or relays, hope you guys can put me in the right direction?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
cybermgm23's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: E90 328i, Jet Black
Join Date: May 2016
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISS E90 View Post
I wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on a problem that I'm having with my 06 330i that has almost 95k miles on it.

I was driving home from a friends house and got stuck in traffic. Right after I got out of it and started to pick up speed, I heard a whining sound. (guessing from the alternator?) Figured I'll check it when I get home just to make sure it was nothing major. Kept on driving and about a minute later I get the red battery warning light coming up. I never got a yellow battery light so I thought it was strange that it jumped to red. Moments later, my power steering went out and noticed it immediately. Was not that far away from home so I thought I would make it at least close to the house if anything before the battery would shut off on me.

Shortly after seeing the red battery warning light come up, I got the Engine oil pressure level too low symbol. Pulled over on the shoulder and opened the hood and noticed my serpentine belt was gone and one of the camshaft position sensors was pulled out (guess from when the belt ripped).

So I towed the car home and ordered a new serpentine belt, tensioner, idle pulley, and camshaft sensor. I also replaced the battery, but did not register it (been going through forums that some owners did not need to register their battery if the battery is identical to OEM specs). I wanted to just start the car, I can get it registered after the car runs.

After replacing the parts, the car failed to start. I hear it cranking but will not turn over.

I have codes P0015, P0341, P1553, & P1554, researched it and found to be camshaft related issues.
Hoping the problem would go away, I was able to clear codes, P0015 and P1154, while 341 and 1553 remained.
I searched here for similar topics, and started troubleshooting what may be the culprit. Took off both solenoids, cleaned them and swapped locations. Did the same for the CPS and still nothing. I'm getting all these issues from a broken serpentine belt! I thought once the belt is replaced, the car would just go back to normal. Any solutions or anything I may have missed?

Any help would be appreciated!

The CPS was out of its place.


Took both the solenoids out.
I've got bad news for ya buddy. A friend of mine also had their belt break, continued to drive it home. Had it towed to the dealer only to find out that the belt stripped out the front main seal, got sucked into the engine and resulted in catastrophic failure. he now has to have a whole new motor installed.

Last edited by cybermgm23; 06-06-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
BMW..
Captain
43
Rep
803
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 /E90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Boca Raton FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermgm23 View Post
I've got bad news for ya buddy. A friend of mine also had their belt break, continued to drive it home. Had it towed to the dealer only to find out that the belt stripped out the front main seal, got sucked into the engine and resulted in catastrophic failure. he new has to have a whole new motor installed.
I think he realized that 3 years ago
__________________
Mystic Blue E90
Phoenix Yellow E46
South Florida BMW Coding
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
mmmnot
Custom User Title
mmmnot's Avatar
Iran
254
Rep
1,312
Posts

Drives: E92 328i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hotlanta

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermgm23 View Post
I've got bad news for ya buddy. A friend of mine also had their belt break, continued to drive it home. Had it towed to the dealer only to find out that the belt stripped out the front main seal, got sucked into the engine and resulted in catastrophic failure. he new has to have a whole new motor installed.
I think he realized that 3 years ago
rip
__________________
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
cybermgm23's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: E90 328i, Jet Black
Join Date: May 2016
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.. View Post
I think he realized that 3 years ago
You're such a nice person.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
mmmnot
Custom User Title
mmmnot's Avatar
Iran
254
Rep
1,312
Posts

Drives: E92 328i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hotlanta

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermgm23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.. View Post
I think he realized that 3 years ago
You're such a nice person.
can't wait for game 2 tonight. I think golden state will win by 5.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #12
Tom Droze
Major
227
Rep
1,294
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermgm23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.. View Post
I think he realized that 3 years ago
You're such a nice person.
can't wait for game 2 tonight. I think golden state will win by 5.
I think Golden State will lose by three.
__________________
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #13
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
cybermgm23's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: E90 328i, Jet Black
Join Date: May 2016
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Lo and behold, you both were wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #14
jbnery6465
Private First Class
2
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Can someone enlighten me on how a broken belt get sucked into an engine if the belt is external to the actual block?
__________________
- Jeremy -
2006 325I | Arktis Metallic | Premium + Sport | 6MT | 20% Tint | K&N + Charcoal Delete
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #15
MR.BLUECOLLARMAN
Second Lieutenant
MR.BLUECOLLARMAN's Avatar
23
Rep
270
Posts

Drives: E90 06 325i Sedan Silver
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnery6465
Can someone enlighten me on how a broken belt get sucked into an engine if the belt is external to the actual block?
If you look at the crank pulley there's a seal right behind it. It falls between them and somehow it gets pushed/sucked? in. I'm pretty sure that's how it happens, maybe someone else can pitch in? Mine broke as well but it shredded and fell apart instead of getting sucked in
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #16
fravel
Major
fravel's Avatar
United_States
316
Rep
1,373
Posts

Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Nasti 'Nati

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.BLUECOLLARMAN View Post
If you look at the crank pulley there's a seal right behind it. It falls between them and somehow it gets pushed/sucked? in. I'm pretty sure that's how it happens, maybe someone else can pitch in? Mine broke as well but it shredded and fell apart instead of getting sucked in
As the belt gets wrapped up around the pully and the block it starts taking up space, eventually all the space is gone and the belt has no where to go, so it pushes through that seal and into the engine.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #17
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
45
Rep
729
Posts

Drives: stick
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.BLUECOLLARMAN View Post
If you look at the crank pulley there's a seal right behind it. It falls between them and somehow it gets pushed/sucked? in.
This is true and is not uncommon. It usually happens when oil leaks from the OFHG onto the belt and it deteriorates quickly. Shredded belt has a good chance of being sucked into the engine. So inspect your OFHG for oil leaks and make sure none of it gets on the belts.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #18
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
cybermgm23's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: E90 328i, Jet Black
Join Date: May 2016
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
As the belt gets wrapped up around the pully and the block it starts taking up space, eventually all the space is gone and the belt has no where to go, so it pushes through that seal and into the engine.
this is exactly what happened. the inside of the motor was toast.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST