E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can you get an extended warranty for already failed electrical parts?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,398
iTrader: (0)

Can you get an extended warranty for already failed electrical parts?

One of my modules has failed.. Its not a big deal but I would like to have it fixed but it looks like the repairs alone for 1000+ for it. My car is still under 100k and the 7 years. I haven't taken it to a shop to be diganosed or anything so couldn't I just purchase bmw extended 100k warranty and have them fix it after whatever waiting period?
bender rodriguez is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
ctuna
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posts: 4,141
iTrader: (0)

Even the cpo doesn't cover entertainment parts

Even the cpo doesn't cover entertainment parts
this includes Bluetooth , Sirius radio etc..
But this can of like asking if you can buy car insurance after you have
been in an accident isn't it.
Which module is it ?
ctuna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
Richurd
Captain
 
Richurd's Avatar
 
Drives: Too slow.
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc

Posts: 638
iTrader: (6)

When you purchase the BMW extended warranty, they need a key readout. If the error is not on the key then you are good. But if the error is already shown on the key then you won't be able to.
__________________
07 e92 335i | BSM | SB | Gray Poplar Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | iDrive | Logic7 | Comfort Access |
Richurd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
Richurd
Captain
 
Richurd's Avatar
 
Drives: Too slow.
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc

Posts: 638
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Even the cpo doesn't cover entertainment parts
this includes Bluetooth , Sirius radio etc..
But this can of like asking if you can buy car insurance after you have
been in an accident isn't it.
He is asking about purchasing extended warranty. If he purchase platinum, then entertainment will be covered.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx
__________________
07 e92 335i | BSM | SB | Gray Poplar Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | iDrive | Logic7 | Comfort Access |
Richurd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
centexE9x
Private
 
Drives: e9x coupe
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: austin

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

Doing a uvi for an ext. warranty requires them to check everything. (If) they find it u will have to get it fixed before a warranty company will even bother. They also look closely at people who buy warranties and use it within days of purchase. The vehicle is supposed to be in tip-top shape before you are covered.
centexE9x is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,398
iTrader: (0)

lol 3 dealerships didn't notice my ULF died and its not throwing error codes. It just doesn't show up in the computer..


Honestly I am really pissed.. I bought the car used at 30k and I can't remember if I bought it under factory warranty or CPO.. If it is CPO I guess I am covered for a few more months and up to 100k.. anyway like I was saying Im pissed because I took it to the dealership at 45k and told them the idrive was acting wonky and they just said everythign was fine.. Then they wouldn't replace the trim where all the paint came of because it was one of the things the warranty didn't cover.. I hate the dealership.. love indy techs tho
bender rodriguez is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
centexE9x
Private
 
Drives: e9x coupe
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: austin

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
lol 3 dealerships didn't notice my ULF died and its not throwing error codes. It just doesn't show up in the computer..


Honestly I am really pissed.. I bought the car used at 30k and I can't remember if I bought it under factory warranty or CPO.. If it is CPO I guess I am covered for a few more months and up to 100k.. anyway like I was saying Im pissed because I took it to the dealership at 45k and told them the idrive was acting wonky and they just said everythign was fine.. Then they wouldn't replace the trim where all the paint came of because it was one of the things the warranty didn't cover.. I hate the dealership.. love indy techs tho

Buy one, slap it in and bite the bullet for programming. It's literally one of the easiest things to get to/replace. Tops it has 4 8mm nuts holding it down.

Or sell the car and keep driving the kick-ass corvette u say u have? No, really. I have one too. Love it. Lol
centexE9x is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexE9x View Post
Doing a uvi for an ext. warranty requires them to check everything. (If) they find it u will have to get it fixed before a warranty company will even bother. They also look closely at people who buy warranties and use it within days of purchase. The vehicle is supposed to be in tip-top shape before you are covered.
Wasn't going to use it within days.. Right now as far as I know its just a failed BT module I can live with that for a few months.. Could be my idrive is fucking up I don't know which.
bender rodriguez is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #9
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexE9x View Post
Buy one, slap it in and bite the bullet for programming. It's literally one of the easiest things to get to/replace. Tops it has 4 8mm nuts holding it down.
Yeah I know how easy it is to replace but how do I know its not a problem with the idrive?

If I am going to replace it I want to go with a TCU + BT with assist over the old ULF. Should I jus order one before I pay BMW 132.00 dollars to tell me it is broken because I am pretty sure it is.. unless its the idrive..

I had a corvette...
bender rodriguez is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #10
centexE9x
Private
 
Drives: e9x coupe
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: austin

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
Yeah I know how easy it is to replace but how do I know its not a problem with the idrive?

If I am going to replace it I want to go with a TCU + BT with assist over the old ULF. Should I jus order one before I pay BMW 132.00 dollars to tell me it is broken because I am pretty sure it is.. unless its the idrive..

I had a corvette...
Well as its impossible to tell without hooking up an isid or scanner. I can't help but bt not working is a pretty good indicator. If the most bus is down all your entertainment would be acting funny, and you would prob be getting the heartbeat sound from the speakers as it trys to communicate on it. I have seen plenty of tcu/ulf/sdars modules die in my time. It's not unheard of.
centexE9x is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #11
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,398
iTrader: (0)

:C

I am guessing just ordering one and putting it in all hooked up saves me 200 dollars as all they have to do is reprogram it..

I wish I could just talk to the dealer without them money grubbing for 130.00 dollars.
bender rodriguez is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #12
Richurd
Captain
 
Richurd's Avatar
 
Drives: Too slow.
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc

Posts: 638
iTrader: (6)

When I bought the extended warranty for my 5er, All I had to do was go to the dealership and ask for a key readout. I just had to fax the readout to them the same day I bought the warranty. After those steps, my 5er's warranty got extended. I bought my extended warranty from Cali and I"m from NY. This was done while I still had my original warranty. They did not look or check my car in person.
__________________
07 e92 335i | BSM | SB | Gray Poplar Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | iDrive | Logic7 | Comfort Access |
Richurd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #13
Richurd
Captain
 
Richurd's Avatar
 
Drives: Too slow.
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc

Posts: 638
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
lol 3 dealerships didn't notice my ULF died and its not throwing error codes. It just doesn't show up in the computer..


Honestly I am really pissed.. I bought the car used at 30k and I can't remember if I bought it under factory warranty or CPO.. If it is CPO I guess I am covered for a few more months and up to 100k.. anyway like I was saying Im pissed because I took it to the dealership at 45k and told them the idrive was acting wonky and they just said everythign was fine.. Then they wouldn't replace the trim where all the paint came of because it was one of the things the warranty didn't cover.. I hate the dealership.. love indy techs tho
CPO does not cover electrical system, entertainment etc.
__________________
07 e92 335i | BSM | SB | Gray Poplar Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | iDrive | Logic7 | Comfort Access |
Richurd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #14
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,398
iTrader: (0)

I dont think there are any errors.. The mod just is unplugged as far as the computer is concered
bender rodriguez is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #15
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd View Post
CPO does not cover electrical system, entertainment etc.
fml doesn't cover the things that break
bender rodriguez is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 01:58 AM   #16
Richurd
Captain
 
Richurd's Avatar
 
Drives: Too slow.
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc

Posts: 638
iTrader: (6)

Go to the dealer and ask for a key readout and inquire about your warranty status.
__________________
07 e92 335i | BSM | SB | Gray Poplar Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | iDrive | Logic7 | Comfort Access |
Richurd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Posts: 11,445
iTrader: (0)

As absurd as the question sounds, there are situations where you can buy insurance with a pre existing condition. For example, you can get aaa plus and wait 7 days. As such, there are dealers who sell discounted BMW extended warranties over the phone without seeing the vehicle nor reading the key.
John 070 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
B.Corso
First Lieutenant
 
B.Corso's Avatar
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bamberg, Germany

Posts: 359
iTrader: (3)

OP - What year is your car/ how many miles are on it. From my understanding, you can only buy the extended warranty while you are still under the new car warranty.

It might be different if you car was CPO.
__________________
Performance |Dinan Stage 3 Software|Dinan IC|Dinan OC|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|Koni FSD Shocks and Struts|Eibach Spings|Hotchkis Anti Sway Bars|6MT|Style |Aero Lip|Aero Rear|M3 Spoiler|BMW Gloss Black Kidney Grills|BMW Aluminum Pedals|BMW LCI Tail Lights|HID Fog Lights|25%Tint|Advan AVS Model F7 19" Rims|Lux V3 AEs|Premium|Sport|Comfort Access|
B.Corso is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #19
bender rodriguez
Major
 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,398
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Corso View Post
OP - What year is your car/ how many miles are on it. From my understanding, you can only buy the extended warranty while you are still under the new car warranty.

It might be different if you car was CPO.
09 328i 75k miles..

Oh I think you are right tho about only being able to buy it under 50K :C
bender rodriguez is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
JuppiOne
Captain
 
Drives: everyone crazy
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MO

Posts: 691
iTrader: (4)

ok, fixing the issue $1000, extended warranty (platinum) $3000 + $50 deductible each repair, I think if you just pay the $1000, you will prob still come out ahead, than paying $3000 for another 25K miles
JuppiOne is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
KwlAznKid
Colonel
 
KwlAznKid's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Irvine/Fremont, CA/ University of California San Diego Alum

Posts: 2,409
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd View Post
When you purchase the BMW extended warranty, they need a key readout. If the error is not on the key then you are good. But if the error is already shown on the key then you won't be able to.
so if we clear the error code on the car the key shouldn't have it registered right?
__________________
BMW E92 328I /BMW E46 M3 /Mercedes Benz W209 CLK500 /BMW E92 335I(sold)/Porsche 996 911 C2(sold)/BMW E46 325CI(totaled)
KwlAznKid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #22
Richurd
Captain
 
Richurd's Avatar
 
Drives: Too slow.
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc

Posts: 638
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
so if we clear the error code on the car the key shouldn't have it registered right?
That is something you should try and report back with the results.
__________________
07 e92 335i | BSM | SB | Gray Poplar Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | iDrive | Logic7 | Comfort Access |
Richurd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST