E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Lags 3rd n 4th shift??

08-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #23
Thomasz126
Private First Class

Drives: 335i

I'm in jersey too, where are you? I can help you with some shifting techniques. hehe
      08-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #24
meyergru
No military grade

Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Maybe this is not even 335i- or turbo-related at all. I had an E92 325i 6MT for test-driving and noticed that with very hard & quick shifts at max RPM, further acceleration would delay for a split-second after the shift. And it was not the clutch, I am sure. This does not happen with my E46 330Ci.

Maybe some kind of electronic motor and / or clutch protection? To avoid clutch slipping? After all, the car must assume a slowly closing clutch because of the CDV. If the RPM of the drivetrain and motor are not closely matched, the ECU might just delay power a bit.

Last edited by meyergru; 08-29-2007 at 02:53 AM.
meyergru is offline   Germany
      08-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #25
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i

This has happened to me also and I have proceed, I've notice power shifting helps this go away do not let off throttle between shifts and I 've also noticed shifting @ 6,000 rpm it won't do it @ 6500 or 7000 seems like chances are more likely unless powershifted or shifted slower,
I am getting a donkey to push the car between shifts just in case )
      08-28-2007, 06:16 PM   #26
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i E92, 6MT, Sport

This isn't boost related. You can feel that delay if you just wait and punch it while in gear.

I'm assuming it's something to do with Drive by Wire and emissions. Just like when you rev the engine it "hangs" so that you put out less emissions. I did notice if you are much smoother with the throttle the "delay" is lessened. So it must be for emissions and maybe drivetrain protection.
      08-29-2007, 05:22 AM   #27
533ogetnom
Banned

Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
Just like when you rev the engine it "hangs" so that you put out less emissions.
are you talking about liek if you rev to 6k in neutral and then get right off the throttle? i was playing with this today because it was pissing me off, rev to 6k then let go of the throttle and the engine actually HOLDS like 4 psi of boost

if you let the throttle off a little slower it will go straight to 20 inches of vacuum

only way for it to do this is if the throttle stays open when you let off so suddenly, thing is, it does this in between shifts as well, so it could very well be the same thing the engines not done w/ whatever its doing so it ignores your input :mad:
      08-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #28
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
are you talking about liek if you rev to 6k in neutral and then get right off the throttle? i was playing with this today because it was pissing me off, rev to 6k then let go of the throttle and the engine actually HOLDS like 4 psi of boost

if you let the throttle off a little slower it will go straight to 20 inches of vacuum

only way for it to do this is if the throttle stays open when you let off so suddenly, thing is, it does this in between shifts as well, so it could very well be the same thing the engines not done w/ whatever its doing so it ignores your input :mad:

If you are in 3rd and 3K let off the gas, wait a second and punch it. You'll feel a slight delay. Rolling the throttle on will reduce it.
      08-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #29
533ogetnom
Banned

Quote:
If you are in 3rd and 3K let off the gas, wait a second and punch it. You'll feel a slight delay. Rolling the throttle on will reduce it.
that would be turbo lag

turbo lag says: hello nice to meet you
      08-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #30
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant

Quote:
that would be turbo lag

turbo lag says: hello nice to meet you

It's not turbo lag, you feel the same thing if you rip through the gears and shift quickly. Turbos are load based and should respond better to hard throttle applications and not rolling the throttle on.
      08-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #31
533ogetnom
Banned

Quote:
It's not turbo lag, you feel the same thing if you rip through the gears and shift quickly. Turbos are load based and should respond better to hard throttle applications and not rolling the throttle on.
no you just wont notice it when you roll the throttle because they will spool up inline with the throttle, anything you can describe as "slight" in this car is most likely turbo lag, that you said 3rd gear and 3k further indicates this
      08-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #32
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant

Quote:
no you just wont notice it when you roll the throttle because they will spool up inline with the throttle, anything you can describe as "slight" in this car is most likely turbo lag, that you said 3rd gear and 3k further indicates this
a .5 second pause in response and then it feeling like the throttle is activated isn't boost problems.

My TT 350Z, with much larger turbos, and no BOV never had anything like that. At 3K you are still using throttle and it should have boost in the system.