E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Correcting Boost overshoots in ATR



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #23
Ænema
Captain
10
Rep
961
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster335 View Post
how about this one
You have to use the Accessport to add "Boost setpoint factor" and "MAF requested(WGDC)" to the datalogging list. Plug the AP in to the car and then add those two channels to the logging list before you get another log. Without those two pieces of information i can't tell you where you need to pull DC out.
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #24
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
5
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: jet black 3 series n54 2010
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: U.S.A.

iTrader: (0)

Man thank you once again for taking the time to help me with this. I will repay you some way. I added the 2 components like you asked, I hope I did it correctly.
Attached Files
File Type: zip e30log.zip (4.4 KB, 22 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
Ænema
Captain
10
Rep
961
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster335 View Post
Man thank you once again for taking the time to help me with this. I will repay you some way. I added the 2 components like you asked, I hope I did it correctly.
Yeah, that's it.
Your overshoots are happening from 190g/s @ 2.1 Boost setpoint factor to 340g/s @ 2.49 boost set point factor. So that's where you'll want to pull some DC out. I've attached a pic of the changes i would make to the "WGDC (BASE)" table to get started fixing that. If these changes don't completely fix it then you will need to pull a little more out of whever the overshoots are still happening.
Attached Images
 
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #26
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
5
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: jet black 3 series n54 2010
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: U.S.A.

iTrader: (0)

Thx again. Just to be sure...Do I take the actual e30 map file in the accessport (not the datalog file) and load into access tuner?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #27
Fully_Bolted
Banned
6
Rep
443
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster335
Thx again. Just to be sure...Do I take the actual e30 map file in the accessport (not the datalog file) and load into access tuner?
You can take transfer the E30 map file off your AP, or just download another from Cobb's website. Open it in ATR and make the adjustments. Save the file (make sure to assign a unique name) and transfer to your AP and reflash. Should only take ~2 mins to flash since not much changed.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
n54door
Captain
n54door's Avatar
10
Rep
624
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: DFW

iTrader: (5)

These changes, would they need to be revised continually through the seasons?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #29
Ænema
Captain
10
Rep
961
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54door View Post
These changes, would they need to be revised continually through the seasons?
No, if you do it in winter then you should be fine year round. The WGDC adder table is able to compensate for underboosting in most cases.

Really, the only time I've had to add DC into the base table is when I started requesting a lot more load up top to run more boost closer to redline.
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #30
Fully_Bolted
Banned
6
Rep
443
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54door
These changes, would they need to be revised continually through the seasons?
To add to what aenema said, you will also need to revisit if you adjust your WG's or replace them. I had my turbos replaced under the extended WG rattle warranty and they are significantly "tighter" than my originals (40k miles). I had to reduce base WG DC tables by about 10%.

This also means that as your waste gates naturally wear over time, you might need to revisit the WGDC tables to add a little bit. This would probably be a few years though. For 95% of the users, it's a set it and forget it function.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #31
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
5
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: jet black 3 series n54 2010
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: U.S.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Yeah, that's it.
Your overshoots are happening from 190g/s @ 2.1 Boost setpoint factor to 340g/s @ 2.49 boost set point factor. So that's where you'll want to pull some DC out. I've attached a pic of the changes i would make to the "WGDC (BASE)" table to get started fixing that. If these changes don't completely fix it then you will need to pull a little more out of whever the overshoots are still happening.
Hey Aenema, Thx again for helping out a fellow member. I would like to repay you. I could send you some money (paypal?) so I could buy you a case of beer. Would that be ok with you?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #32
Ænema
Captain
10
Rep
961
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster335 View Post
Hey Aenema, Thx again for helping out a fellow member. I would like to repay you. I could send you some money (paypal?) so I could buy you a case of beer. Would that be ok with you?
I really appreciate the offer, but it's all good
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #33
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
5
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: jet black 3 series n54 2010
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: U.S.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
I really appreciate the offer, but it's all good
If you change your mind, offer still stands.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #34
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
5
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: jet black 3 series n54 2010
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: U.S.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
You have to use the Accessport to add "Boost setpoint factor" and "MAF requested(WGDC)" to the datalogging list. Plug the AP in to the car and then add those two channels to the logging list before you get another log. Without those two pieces of information i can't tell you where you need to pull DC out.
So I ran some more logs after adjusting for over boost. Cobb says the throttle is closing due to actual load exceeding requested load. Begins at 2600 rpm so I have to adjust the WGDC base table. So I kinda have an idea where to start but adjusting what and how much is the problem. Are you able to help me out again? thx
Attached Files
File Type: zip reve30datalog.zip (5.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: zip reve30datalog3.zip (5.6 KB, 10 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #35
Ænema
Captain
10
Rep
961
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

iTrader: (0)

Sure thing, I'll take a look when I get home from work.
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #36
Glowin
Captain
Glowin's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
922
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Hey, is there a way to know you're getting these boost overshoots, without logging? Do you typically throw a code because of them?

The past summer, I took my stage 2+ car to the track, with the Cobb tune, and after just two laps, it went into limp mode. Could never figure out what it was. Car kept going into limp mode afterwards for a week or so, anytime I boosted more than 4/5 PST, to the point I was convinced that I had a boost leak, but could find none.

Then all of a sudden it went away after a couple of weeks by itself, and has been driving fine for months afterwards, up to 18 PSI boost no problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #37
Ænema
Captain
10
Rep
961
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Hey, is there a way to know you're getting these boost overshoots, without logging? Do you typically throw a code because of them?

The past summer, I took my stage 2+ car to the track, with the Cobb tune, and after just two laps, it went into limp mode. Could never figure out what it was. Car kept going into limp mode afterwards for a week or so, anytime I boosted more than 4/5 PST, to the point I was convinced that I had a boost leak, but could find none.

Then all of a sudden it went away after a couple of weeks by itself, and has been driving fine for months afterwards, up to 18 PSI boost no problems.
As far as the boost overshoots go, it depends on how badly the overshoots are. If it is severe enough to cause the to TPS to dip to ~40%(or worse) then you will probably feel it as a hiccup during acceleration. Or it may cause boost oscillations and you'll definitely feel those.

As far as limp mode goes: No, it will not cause that. You'll need to find out the codes that were triggered and go from there, if it hasn't happened in months then it may have just been a fluke or something.
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #38
raceyBMW
king of the hills
raceyBMW's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
2,832
Posts

 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1994 530i  [4.25]
2007 335i Coupe  [4.07]
Track seems to expose vanos related issues, which can show up only at high rpm runs like you usually have at the track. Only way to know for sure is to read the codes.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #39
Ænema
Captain
10
Rep
961
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster335 View Post
So I ran some more logs after adjusting for over boost. Cobb says the throttle is closing due to actual load exceeding requested load. Begins at 2600 rpm so I have to adjust the WGDC base table. So I kinda have an idea where to start but adjusting what and how much is the problem. Are you able to help me out again? thx
OK, here we go. I'll walk you through the process of identifying where and hhow much WGDC Base changes to be made.

First thing to do is to figure out where the overshoots are happening. To do this open up the CSV file.


Then look for where your Accel Ped. Pos. goes to 99%, that will let you know when you go WOT. Then go to TPS ACT and it should be at 80%.
Then start following the log until:
-TPS ACT drops BELOW 80%
-Boost Mean ABS will overshoot Req Boost Abs(and as a consequence Act Load will overshoot Requested load)

That is where the overshoots are happening. After you know where the overshoots are occuring it's just a matter of pulling DC out of the Base tabe where those overshoots are occurring.

NOTE: this map is going off of the changes already made in the pic of the "fix" above. If your starting values are different then your ending changes will be different
So you'll pull some more DC out. Like i've said, 10%-15% is a good rule of thumb, however when you see BIG drops in TPS(like 40% readings or less) it's not a bad idea to pull a little more out.

Once your changes are finished then save the map, transfer to the AP and re-log. Rinse and repeat the process until the TPS drops are gone.
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:27 AM   #40
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
5
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: jet black 3 series n54 2010
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: U.S.A.

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the explanation, I kinda get what you are saying. I now know how to find the overshoots. One question I have for you is in the Access Tuner Race program, when I load the map and look at the WGDC Base table, I notice the top left for me it shows "MAF Req. (WGDC) (kgh)" but looking at your table it shows "MAF Req. (WGDC) (gs)".....is there some kind of conversion I need to make changes on? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:42 AM   #41
Monster335
Private First Class
United_States
5
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: jet black 3 series n54 2010
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: U.S.A.

iTrader: (0)

The other thing is Im confused on is, where to start pulling the DC and making the adjustments on WGDC base table on ATR when looking at the datalog. Hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #42
Fully_Bolted
Banned
6
Rep
443
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster335
Thanks for the explanation, I kinda get what you are saying. I now know how to find the overshoots. One question I have for you is in the Access Tuner Race program, when I load the map and look at the WGDC Base table, I notice the top left for me it shows "MAF Req. (WGDC) (kgh)" but looking at your table it shows "MAF Req. (WGDC) (gs)".....is there some kind of conversion I need to make changes on? Thanks again.
Yes, you need to change the units of measure to standard vice metric. Somewhere under the settings menu in ATR.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #43
Fully_Bolted
Banned
6
Rep
443
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster335
The other thing is Im confused on is, where to start pulling the DC and making the adjustments on WGDC base table on ATR when looking at the datalog. Hope that makes sense.
In the areas that you are overshooting your requested boost, note the boost set point factor and MAF requested WGDC. These are your references to the table axes.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #44
Ænema
Captain
10
Rep
961
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster335 View Post
Thanks for the explanation, I kinda get what you are saying. I now know how to find the overshoots. One question I have for you is in the Access Tuner Race program, when I load the map and look at the WGDC Base table, I notice the top left for me it shows "MAF Req. (WGDC) (kgh)" but looking at your table it shows "MAF Req. (WGDC) (gs)".....is there some kind of conversion I need to make changes on? Thanks again.
click edit-> configure options-> display-> show standard units
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST