E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

08-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #199
Dialpex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 iX

Do you have any idea where i could get those locally?

Anyway. Thanks for the heads up man. I appreciate it!
      08-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #200
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialpex View Post
Do you have any idea where i could get those locally?

Anyway. Thanks for the heads up man. I appreciate it!
The sheepskin mitts should be available at Wally World, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Tarjet. Those types of stores. Look around and I'm sure you'll find some.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 11:12 PM   #201
misterng
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Garage List
Hi David, if I decide to use Z-PC, should I go before or after Z-AIO? My routine would be,

- wash/dry
- clay
- Z-AIO
- Z5/ZFX
- Z6
- Z2
- Z8

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #202
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterng View Post
Hi David, if I decide to use Z-PC, should I go before or after Z-AIO? My routine would be,

- wash/dry
- clay
- Z-AIO
- Z5/ZFX
- Z6
- Z2
- Z8

Thanks.
It would go before ZAIO.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 09:02 AM   #203
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

zaino or klasse??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
It would go before ZAIO.
david:

i have read thru your whole detailing 101 and also this entire thread.
i will b getting my 2008 335 vert soon and have a few questions:

although i am fit, i am 50 years old... i am trying to decide between using the klasse system vs. the zaino system for my new car:

1/ seems like the klasse may be easier do initial (new car) full detailing as opposed to Zaino - is this correct?
2/ but zaino may be easier long term to keep up because of the quick Z8 touchups after a good proper washing... Does klasse have a touch up (and extra protection ?) product similar to the zaino z8 for the time between detailings?
3/ million $ question is considering the effot to fully detail, and then maintain, which system is less work ? (how long each system lasts should also factor into your opinion.

if 1 system is less work, is the other system worth the extra effort because of better appearance and / or protection? note that they do not have clear bras here in ecuador, so protection is prretty important.

i plan on keep my 335 mainly for low milage driving (say 500 miles a month), and will keep this car for many years (unless the car cr$ps out on me).

this is an important decsion - especially since i have to arrange getting these products online, and have to physically bring them from NY on my next trip.

4/ after u advise which system to get, please advise approx how much product to get to last at least a year. i will be doing 2 times a year detailng and occasional touch ups (weekly washes and appropriate touch ups)

thanks for your help...
again, although i surely know how to wax a car properly, i am a total begginer regarding klasse and zaino.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 10:32 AM   #204
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
david:

although i am fit, i am 50 years old... i am trying to decide between using the klasse system vs. the zaino system for my new car:

1/ seems like the klasse may be easier do initial (new car) full detailing as opposed to Zaino - is this correct?
2/ but zaino may be easier long term to keep up because of the quick Z8 touchups after a good proper washing... Does klasse have a touch up (and extra protection ?) product similar to the zaino z8 for the time between detailings?
3/ million $ question is considering the effot to fully detail, and then maintain, which system is less work ? (how long each system lasts should also factor into your opinion.

if 1 system is less work, is the other system worth the extra effort because of better appearance and / or protection? note that they do not have clear bras here in ecuador, so protection is prretty important.

i plan on keep my 335 mainly for low milage driving (say 500 miles a month), and will keep this car for many years (unless the car cr$ps out on me).

this is an important decsion - especially since i have to arrange getting these products online, and have to physically bring them from NY on my next trip.

4/ after u advise which system to get, please advise approx how much product to get to last at least a year. i will be doing 2 times a year detailng and occasional touch ups (weekly washes and appropriate touch ups)

thanks for your help...
again, although i surely know how to wax a car properly, i am a total begginer regarding klasse and zaino.
edit: if i take alot of people's advise, and do not have the dealer wash and detail me new car, is it safe for them to al least detail the car's INSIDE interior??
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #205
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
david:

thanks for your help...
Zaino is no more complex than Klasse. You don't need to use all the Zaino products to get great results. If you want something easy, just use 1xZAIO followed by 1xZ2, and then maintain with Z8 whenever the mood strikes you. Repeat the process after a year. Easy, eh? As for Klasse having products like Zaino Z8, and Z6, etc, they do not.

In terms of the interior, it's OK to let the dealer detail it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #206
rl168
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hi David,

Wow, this is a great post. Thank you for the great information and answering the questions posted on here.

My Monaco Blue 335 sedan will probably be here in early October, after reading your post, I am planning to use Zaino products on the new car. I have told my dealer not to wash the car. What do you I suggest I do after I bring the car home? And what’s your recommendation on the frequency and process of routine maintenance?

Also, my wife has a 2005 4runner in black that I would like to detail. What do you recommend I do?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #207
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

rl168,

In terms of your car, you said you've asked the dealer not to wash it. But did you clarify if they will be leaving all the plastic on the paint? Will they be removing the cosmoline for you? Clarify what exactly they will be doing to your car once it is delivered. You should be OK if you let them remove the plastic and clean off the cosmoline (otherwise you can do it yourself when you bring the car home). Once they do those two things (as well as the interior), you can then take it from there by washing, claying, cleaning and protecting the paint. As for what you should do, I'd say Z7 wash, clay, 1xZAIO, and 1xZ2 (no need for ZFX). And that's it.

For your wifes 4runner, it will all depend on the condition of the paint. If it's in good shape (no swirls, etc) then you can use the same process as you will be doing on the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 08:58 PM   #208
rl168
Enlisted Member
Rep

Can I add Z8 after I'm done with Z2?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #209
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl168 View Post
Can I add Z8 after I'm done with Z2?
Yes. Absolutely.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #210
Iceberg
Engaged
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi

WOW! Thanks for a magnificent post! I picked up my car a week ago and headed out for a road trip right away. Now, it really needs a washing and wax. I'm going to hit the wash today and hopefully the protection within a week. I assume that I would not apply wax or sealant to the clear bra areas, since that is why the clear bra is there, or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #211
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
WOW! Thanks for a magnificent post! I picked up my car a week ago and headed out for a road trip right away. Now, it really needs a washing and wax. I'm going to hit the wash today and hopefully the protection within a week. I assume that I would not apply wax or sealant to the clear bra areas, since that is why the clear bra is there, or am I missing something?
It's your call. You don't have to wax the clear bra, but if you want to you can. It won't hurt anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 10:39 PM   #212
rl168
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
rl168,

In terms of your car, you said you've asked the dealer not to wash it. But did you clarify if they will be leaving all the plastic on the paint? Will they be removing the cosmoline for you? Clarify what exactly they will be doing to your car once it is delivered. You should be OK if you let them remove the plastic and clean off the cosmoline (otherwise you can do it yourself when you bring the car home). Once they do those two things (as well as the interior), you can then take it from there by washing, claying, cleaning and protecting the paint. As for what you should do, I'd say Z7 wash, clay, 1xZAIO, and 1xZ2 (no need for ZFX). And that's it.

For your wifes 4runner, it will all depend on the condition of the paint. If it's in good shape (no swirls, etc) then you can use the same process as you will be doing on the BMW.
David,

I noticed my wife's 4runner has some swirl marks. What do you recommend I do to get rid of those swirl marks?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2007, 07:02 AM   #213
Sea2Ski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 i SG, 6MT, CWP, BT, NAVI

I second the Zaino. Right when I got my car, I did the dawn wash, clay bar, Z7 wash, all in one, z2 then Z8... Love the results!!! Now when I wash the car, all I to do is do is wash, then I alternate between Z5 and Z2 between washes, then always follow up with Z8.

I think the car looks better every time I wash it.

Oh yea, I use the AIO on the rims also every 4-5 washes.. the brake dust comes off easier that way.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 12:03 AM   #214
mrh335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 sedan, jet black

I have a few questions. I have been reading through many of the posts on many boards regarding Zaino and am trying to formulate my shopping list.

In this article, it is clear from the initial post...wash, clay, polish, z2-pro, z-8? This post was done two years ago and I am curious with the Zaino Clear Seal (Z-CS) fits into this regiment. Any input for this.

Also, I have some P21s wax that I picked up. I like the idea of this and like the results even though I have only done my hood. I would like to keep using the product and curious of anyone's results using the P21s wax over top of the Zaino. I understand I can't layer the Zaino products on top of the wax, but I could remove the was with dawn and apply more Zaino as well or just layer the wax as well. Positive or negative results would be welcome.

My shopping list will include the Menzerna IP, Zaino ZPC fine polish, Mother's clay or equivalent, z2-pro, Z-CS?, and then P21s.

Any comments on the Z-CS and if it should be combined on top of the Z2-pro?

Comments are welcome.

Last edited by mrh335; 10-16-2007 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 11:46 PM   #215
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl168 View Post
David,

I noticed my wife's 4runner has some swirl marks. What do you recommend I do to get rid of those swirl marks?
Get a PC, some quality foam pads and polishes, and have at it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 11:54 PM   #216
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoehne View Post
I have a few questions. I have been reading through many of the posts on many boards regarding Zaino and am trying to formulate my shopping list.

In this article, it is clear from the initial post...wash, clay, polish, z2-pro, z-8? This post was done two years ago and I am curious with the Zaino Clear Seal (Z-CS) fits into this regiment. Any input for this.

Also, I have some P21s wax that I picked up. I like the idea of this and like the results even though I have only done my hood. I would like to keep using the product and curious of anyone's results using the P21s wax over top of the Zaino. I understand I can't layer the Zaino products on top of the wax, but I could remove the was with dawn and apply more Zaino as well or just layer the wax as well. Positive or negative results would be welcome.

My shopping list will include the Menzerna IP, Zaino ZPC fine polish, Mother's clay or equivalent, z2-pro, Z-CS?, and then P21s.

Any comments on the Z-CS and if it should be combined on top of the Z2-pro?

Comments are welcome.
In terms of fitting the new products into your routine you can do many different things.

1. Wash, clay, polish with IP, mild polish with ZPC, ZAIO, Z2x1, top with CS and maintain with Z8.

2. Wash, clay, polish with IP, mild polish with ZPC, Z2 pro with ZFX x 3, top with CS and maintain with Z8.

3. Wash, clay, polish with IP, mild polish with ZPC, CS, Z2x1, maintain with Z8.

ZCS can be used on bare paint as the bonding agent for Z2 or Z5. It can also be used after Z2 and Z5 as a topper in conjunction with Z8. How you use it is up to you. I usually do 1 and 2. Haven't tried 3 yet.

As for the p21s wax, save it for another car. Once you use Zaino it's not worth topping with a wax as you can't add any more Zaino after. And contrary to your post, you will not be able to fully remove the p21s with a dawn was and then add more Zaino. Dawn is not that strong. It can't remove fresh or semi fresh wax. If you wax with p21s, you will need to use ZAIO or ZPC to remove it. Doing this will also require you to start the whole Zaino process over again. A waste of effort IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #217
mrh335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 sedan, jet black

Thank you David for the information. I will follow your second method for now. I didn't get the Z-CS this time around, but will pursue that based on my results and maybe after the winter.

I did have a questions regarding the applicator pads. I purchased the ones from Zaino and am curious what to do with them once used. Can you clean them, store in ziplok or just toss. Not too sure if they are safe to reuse at all.

With the buffing off of the sealant, the idea is to use a microfiber to remove the haze. Any advantage to using the black polishing pad with the Porter Cable?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #218
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I actually use the Dawn on the Z-pads then stick them in a container. I normally only use about 1/8 of one side when applying, not the whole side (top/bottom) of a pad. Makes it easier to hold the pad that way, as I have a good handful of it while trying to move it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #219
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoehne View Post
Thank you David for the information. I will follow your second method for now. I didn't get the Z-CS this time around, but will pursue that based on my results and maybe after the winter.

I did have a questions regarding the applicator pads. I purchased the ones from Zaino and am curious what to do with them once used. Can you clean them, store in ziplok or just toss. Not too sure if they are safe to reuse at all.

With the buffing off of the sealant, the idea is to use a microfiber to remove the haze. Any advantage to using the black polishing pad with the Porter Cable?
For the applicators, you can wash them in warm water a dish soap, and let air dry. From there you can use them again on your next detail. Continue to wash after every use and you should get many many uses out of them.

As for buffing off the sealant, yes, I would recommend doing it by hand with a MF towel. There is no advantage to removing the sealant with a foam pad. It will actually be mush herder this way.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 01:34 AM   #220
Rising
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
i forgot to buy ZPC with my Zaino purchase. some info, i don't have a machine to use along with ZPC. i don't think i have any major noticeable swirl marks that i know of. is it ok to go from wash, clay, skip ZPC, to Z2/Z5...? do you think i should order the ZPC? i just ordered earlier Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, Z8, Z10, Z18, and ZFX. first time ever detailing here nub.