E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > help on loose exhaust bracket

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
help on loose exhaust bracket
Published by hyunminyo
06-17-2011
help on loose exhaust bracket

loose exhaust bracket makes trembling/rattle noise when the engine is idle or on low rpms.. does anyone have experience with this?
Tutorial Tools
By Seduceme on 06-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Yeah same happened to me. I was under warranty so the dealership just replaced the bolt. Just get under there and tighten it.
By 7abiba on 06-18-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm having the same exact thing happening right now. It ended up being the bracket connected from the back of the transmission pan and over the two exhaust pipes that's rattling. What happens is the bottom bracket is held by a long screw that holds both brackets together, and that long screw somehow unscrews, so you only have the top part (connected to the tranny pan). With the engine pressure at low rpm's and idling, it rattles against the exhaust..

Most likely, if your case is like mine, you'll need to buy two parts: the bottom bracket piece and the long screw.

Hope that helps!
By cdavi060 on 12-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Hello,

I am having this same issue, mine is the very rear bracket that holds the muffler on. It has came lose causing a rattle and I nor a local non-BMW shop has this "star like" socket to fit the screw for tightening. Does anyone know the size and style socket needed to tighten it? A standard 8mm socket comes close to fitting, but slips. Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images

By MikeR1994 on 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavi060 View Post
Hello,

I am having this same issue, mine is the very rear bracket that holds the muffler on. It has came lose causing a rattle and I nor a local non-BMW shop has this "star like" socket to fit the screw for tightening. Does anyone know the size and style socket needed to tighten it? A standard 8mm socket comes close to fitting, but slips. Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sorry if I'm too late on this, (and sorry to everyone else for bumping a somewhat old thread) but that bolt is an external torx bolt. Most places will call it an external star, but if you have a Harbor Freight near you you can get a set of seven external torx sockets (impact, but that doesnt really matter) for $10, and sears sells a set of Craftsman e torx sockets for around $30-40, but they're a little higher quality. This particular bolt is an E10.
Comment