E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > DIY : New Method To Remove Sun Visor Decals (Chemical Free)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #23
VAE90
Private
VAE90's Avatar
0
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portsmouth, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
It literally takes about 45 seconds to take off each visor. I promise it's worth the effort to just take it off first. Once off, it took me about 5-7 minutes per visor to remove the stickers.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #24
ray_iii
New Member
United_States
1
Rep
15
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Mtgo Blue w/ Sdl, ZPP,ZSP
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago,IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAE90 View Post
It literally takes about 45 seconds to take off each visor. I promise it's worth the effort to just take it off first. Once off, it took me about 5-7 minutes per visor to remove the stickers.
Any tricks to taking the visor off?

Some people say you need a small screw driver to unclip the electrical...others say you can just "snap" it out.

How does the visor disconnect on an e92?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #25
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
STE92VE's Avatar
United_States
85
Rep
6,264
Posts

 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Is there any adhesive residue on the visor when the sticker is removed?
__________________
2007 E92 328i 6MT-Space Gray/Black Dakota/Gray Poplar w/heated seats-PCD 4/27/07 (SOLD)
2009 E90 328i xDrive 6AT-Space Gray/Oyster Dakota/Dark Burl Walnut w/ZPP,ZCW,Xenons-ED 4/17/09 - Redelivery 5/30/09 (SOLD)
2014 E84 xDrive28i 8AT-Alpine White/Black Nevada/Silver Matte w/ZMV,ZLP,494 - DD 3/14/14

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #26
trick50
Major
trick50's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,049
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Douglaston, New York

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to trick50
So I have been at it with a steam iron for over an hour I have about 7.6% of the sticker removed, I have filled the iron with water 7 times and I am absolutly fed up. now that I am thinking of it the reason I did not want to use the goof off is because I did not want my car to reak of that crap for days...but I took the damn visor off anyway to do this...

I am gonna go and buy and bottle of goof off tomorrow from target or wherever...And stop f'ing around with this stupid damn iron.

Maybe I am having such a hard time with it because my visors are vinyl or leatherette..and not a cloth material..If they were the cloth material the steam would get underneath the stick and then it would probably work...At the rate I am going it will take at least 14 hours to do one visor...

I know the OP said he was using a steamer...but the steam iron I have kicks off just as much steam constantly and sure as hell did soak the visor..I am glad this worked for the OP and hopefully it has worked for some others...but not for this guy.
I'm throwing in the towel.
Good luck to anyone else who tries this one.
__________________
"If you're not intense..you're past tense"
"..Greed is good, greed works.."
07 E92 335i,Sport,I-drive,Cold Weather,Bluetooth,Beyern Mesh 19",M-Pedals,Rear Fogs,Gp Thunder,Carbon Roundels,Coming Soon JB2,Vorsteiner Decklid,OEM Aero LipRIP9/8/06-12/11/07 Gone but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 10:38 AM   #27
VAE90
Private
VAE90's Avatar
0
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portsmouth, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I just snapped it off with my fingers. No tricks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_iii View Post
Any tricks to taking the visor off?

Some people say you need a small screw driver to unclip the electrical...others say you can just "snap" it out.

How does the visor disconnect on an e92?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #28
VAE90
Private
VAE90's Avatar
0
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portsmouth, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I had none

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
Is there any adhesive residue on the visor when the sticker is removed?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #29
VAE90
Private
VAE90's Avatar
0
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portsmouth, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
My visor was cloth. Also, I tried with an iron first but had zero luck. I actually used a steamer with much success. No clue about using this method on vinyl/leatherette, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick50 View Post
So I have been at it with a steam iron for over an hour I have about 7.6% of the sticker removed, I have filled the iron with water 7 times and I am absolutly fed up. now that I am thinking of it the reason I did not want to use the goof off is because I did not want my car to reak of that crap for days...but I took the damn visor off anyway to do this...

I am gonna go and buy and bottle of goof off tomorrow from target or wherever...And stop f'ing around with this stupid damn iron.

Maybe I am having such a hard time with it because my visors are vinyl or leatherette..and not a cloth material..If they were the cloth material the steam would get underneath the stick and then it would probably work...At the rate I am going it will take at least 14 hours to do one visor...

I know the OP said he was using a steamer...but the steam iron I have kicks off just as much steam constantly and sure as hell did soak the visor..I am glad this worked for the OP and hopefully it has worked for some others...but not for this guy.
I'm throwing in the towel.
Good luck to anyone else who tries this one.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #30
wuufer001
Colonel
wuufer001's Avatar
Taiwan
56
Rep
2,305
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW, TX//Taiwan//South Africa

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2006 325i  [4.67]
anything besides using a steamer?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #31
trick50
Major
trick50's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,049
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Douglaston, New York

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to trick50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
anything besides using a steamer?

goof off i used it last night and it came out great
__________________
"If you're not intense..you're past tense"
"..Greed is good, greed works.."
07 E92 335i,Sport,I-drive,Cold Weather,Bluetooth,Beyern Mesh 19",M-Pedals,Rear Fogs,Gp Thunder,Carbon Roundels,Coming Soon JB2,Vorsteiner Decklid,OEM Aero LipRIP9/8/06-12/11/07 Gone but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #32
wuufer001
Colonel
wuufer001's Avatar
Taiwan
56
Rep
2,305
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW, TX//Taiwan//South Africa

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2006 325i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney View Post
Has anyone besides OP succeeded with this w/o taking off the visor? OP, how old long have you had your car (I'm wondering if 4 months would make it difficult)
good question cause i am also thinking of removing it but i had my car for over a year now and i'm scared that there's gonna be a difference in the coloring.

OP: was your visor vinyl or cloth? will it work for cloth?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #33
wuufer001
Colonel
wuufer001's Avatar
Taiwan
56
Rep
2,305
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW, TX//Taiwan//South Africa

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2006 325i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick50 View Post
goof off i used it last night and it came out great
for the cloth visors too?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #34
trick50
Major
trick50's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,049
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Douglaston, New York

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to trick50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
for the cloth visors too?

My friend removed the stickers off of his X3 with cloth...he said he taped the visor off around the sticker (to protect the visor) and then applied the goo gone with a cotton ball very gently DO NOT USE TO MUCH...
after about 45 seconds of rubbing the stucker with the cotton ball you will feel it getting rough. Thats how you know its game time. gently and slowly start removing the sticker from the edge...and you should be good...

Someone else used this exact method with the tape in the DIY post and had much success.

The ones I did last nigth on my car were vinyl and it was so easy.
__________________
"If you're not intense..you're past tense"
"..Greed is good, greed works.."
07 E92 335i,Sport,I-drive,Cold Weather,Bluetooth,Beyern Mesh 19",M-Pedals,Rear Fogs,Gp Thunder,Carbon Roundels,Coming Soon JB2,Vorsteiner Decklid,OEM Aero LipRIP9/8/06-12/11/07 Gone but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #35
thenewrick
Lieutenant
United_States
9
Rep
586
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

I did this recently and made a video.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #36
Eat-My_dust
New Member
Eat-My_dust's Avatar
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i M/T, stock.
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by im0y View Post
Hey that's a great find GTx08... thanks for trying and sharing

Now let me see if mom has a steamer in her attic....

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #37
._.
Colonel
._.'s Avatar
33
Rep
2,358
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami

iTrader: (15)

wow, old thread reborn. just use white rubbing alcohol. dampen a cloth with it and it rubs right off. the alcohol evaporates quickly leaving nothing behind. steam seems like more trouble than its worth.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST