E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Water Leak Near Passenger Side Footwell Light E92 335i

02-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
JMcQ24

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Water Leak Near Passenger Side Footwell Light E92 335i

Yesterday after washing the car I noticed a pool of water in the floor on the passenger side. The water seemed to be coming from above so I removed the cover and saw the padding was soaked near the footwell light as shown in the first picture below. After further investigation it looked as if though the water was coming from where I have circled in red in the second picture (I'm not sure what the part is exactly, if anyone could tell me that would be awesome). I'm not sure if the water is actually leaking through the circled area or if the leak is originating from somewhere else and dripping down to there. Either way it worries me that water is leaking near all of the wiring.

I have researched the issue quite a bit and all other E92 interior leak issues I've seen deal with door seals, etc.... nothing that seems to pertain to my situation.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with their E9X?
Any kind of opinions as to where the leak may be originating or any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

02-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
BklynTico506
Private

Drives: '08 E90 Pre-LCI / '00 E39

Had that problem with my E39. Come to find out that the hose that runs along the passenger side pillar from the sunroof to the wheel well (Drain hose basically) was clogged with small leaves and dirt from leaving my sunroof open all the time. I had to take off the panel and pull of the hose. basically just pushed a wire hanger thru it and forced all the crap out.

You might want to take that panel off and take a look.
BklynTico506 is offline   Costa Rica
      02-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Thp4
Private

Drives: 2011 335i msport

I had this problem with my previous e90. It was due to the cowling at bottom of windshield not fitting properly and water was getting under it into the fresh air intake for the hvac and then running onto the passenger side floor through the blower motor housing (the part you have circled).

Have you recently had a new glass put in? The cowling should be replaced with a new windshield, but usually this is not done.

I believe there is a service bulletin that specifically addresses this exact issue.

Also, once water gets into blower housing, it is only a matter of time before the blower motor will start making noise and ultimately need replacement. About three months after the dealership replaced the cowling in my car to fix the leak, the blower began to make a high pitch squeal.
Thp4 is offline   United_States
      02-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
JMcQ24

Garage List
The previous owner of the car did have a cracked windshield replaced a while ago. I do remember him mentioning that the cowling wasn't replaced originally, but once he found out he had them redo the job correctly. I just looked through all the service records he gave and didn't see it in there, so I'm not certain on how many miles ago. I'm thinking it was roughly 10-15k ago, but I will double check with him.

Btw thank you for telling me that is the blower motor housing (still a lot to learn about the finer details of this car lol). I'm now also going to look more into accessing the blower motor and eventually replacing it.

Do you remember roughly how much getting the cowling replaced cost you?
      02-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
mike3000fl
Eleven Bravo

Drives: 06 330i

+1000

Water entering the plastic cowling under windshield wipers, it get into the compartment below the microfilter (remove the microfilter after it rains and look inside, you will see it wet, use a paper towel and wipe around the nooks and crannies to confirm), the water then runs through the vents/slats you see in the firewall on the passenger side if you have the cowl off the car. Those vent/slats are part of the blower motor which will rust and fail after squeaking for a month or two.

If you had a new windshield recently, have them reset the windshield.

If you are on your own, out of warranty and all that, remove the cowl, lay a thick bead of silicone caulk in a line left to right and hope for the best.

02-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
07lilredwagon
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 328 wagon

I was thinking windshield too....They definitely did not seal the windshield with enough sealant.....if water is getting in there, rust will eventually form...though not for a while....if you find the leaky spot, it can be seam sealed...this is the best stuff on earth....also the nastiest!...black silicone should work too....
mike3000fl has the right diy idea, I think....

Once the trim is off, you wil see the windshields edge....

You should be able to find window sealant at the parts store....its messy stuff, so I would run blue tape around my windshield edge first. clean everything with alcohol, then apply the sealant. (You may find a void in the old sealant while doing this....hopefully you will, actually!.....)
run a small bead along the whole windshield all the way around...then smooth with your gloved finger keeping the material off the glass. be sure you have enough clearance for the trim pieces to go back on, the let it set up for a while before putting the trim back on.

I would think this will solve the problem...as long as its the windshield that is causing it!

on the off chance its the fresh air filter housing, or related plastic pcs...inspect for cracks and evidence of water stains, ect....

good luck and post your findings!

JP
      02-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
emackin
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335i e90

Your sunroof drain is clogged i had the same thing happen to my C350 benz
      02-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
BOBKUR
Major

Drives: 2008 E 90

Did you have the windshield replaced recently.
      02-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
JMcQ24

Garage List
Yesterday I cleaned out the VANOS solenoids, so I had to take out the cowling, fresh air filter, etc. anyway. I didn't see anything abnormal, but I made sure to be extra careful when reinstalling the cowling. What I am hoping is that something was improperly reinstalled from when I installed my updated Procede a month ago or had the cabin filter replaced a week ago (I didn't orginally think of those as being a potential issues). If there is still a leak after that then I will look more into having the windshield reset or fixing it myself with sealant.

I appreciate all the advice fellas.
      02-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
BklynTico506
Private

Drives: '08 E90 Pre-LCI / '00 E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by emackin View Post
Your sunroof drain is clogged i had the same thing happen to my C350 benz
Same thing I said...
BklynTico506 is offline   Costa Rica
      02-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
Thp4
Private

Drives: 2011 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcQ24
The previous owner of the car did have a cracked windshield replaced a while ago. I do remember him mentioning that the cowling wasn't replaced originally, but once he found out he had them redo the job correctly. I just looked through all the service records he gave and didn't see it in there, so I'm not certain on how many miles ago. I'm thinking it was roughly 10-15k ago, but I will double check with him.

Btw thank you for telling me that is the blower motor housing (still a lot to learn about the finer details of this car lol). I'm now also going to look more into accessing the blower motor and eventually replacing it.

Do you remember roughly how much getting the cowling replaced cost you?
I made a glass claim on my insurance and the dealer replaced the windshield, cowling and re-sealed the glass. (In florida, there is no deductible on glass claims.). The entire thing was around 600, but I think the plastic cowling was less than 75 bucks.
Thp4 is offline   United_States
      11-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
svolstad
Registered

Drives: 2008 335i

2008 Leak

THP4, did replacing the windshield solve the problem? I am having the exact same issue and the windshield was replaced. I bought the car used so do not know the full story but the windshield has definitely been replaced.