E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Windows frozen again this AM...:(

02-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
Fun w/N54
First Lieutenant

Drives: '11 E92 335is AW/CR/DCT

Windows frozen again this AM...:(

Had this problem with my 135 as well. Moisture in air night before, park outside overnight, temp drops below 20 and windows refuse to jog down when doors are opened. Door swiches no help and can't fully close door since window is on outside of molding. Anyone have a remedy for this?
Fun w/N54 is offline   United_States
      02-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
AllBlackBimmer
Major

Drives: 2008 328i E90

a garage? sorry...

if you are already in the car... run the heat... but i get the vert's windows have to drop a tad to get the door even open.. in that case.. a little cup of warm water?
      02-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
DUI Elite
///M at Heart

Drives: 2006 SGM E90

Oh you're talking about the windows coming slightly down function when opening the door.

remove as much ice as you can before opening the door. It'll wear components of your window regulator faster if you stress it too often.

(drive dog will snap and the pin that holds your window to your window regulator will move freely = no more up and down of the window)
      02-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Fun w/N54
First Lieutenant

thanks will try warm water next time. yes garage at home but outside at GF place.
      02-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
foghat
Captain

Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun w/N54 View Post
thanks will try warm water next time. yes garage at home but outside at GF place.
Not sure if warm water is the best idea in freezing weather....

May help this issue, but what happens when it freezes a couple minutes later? Guess it would be okay if are heading to a warm garage.
      02-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
The X Men
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post

May help this issue, but what happens when it freezes a couple minutes later? Guess it would be okay if are heading to a warm garage.
Warm water is definitely not a good idea on a freezing day, maybe de-icer might be better. I am so glad I dont have this window jog down function.
      02-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
N8N
Major

Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
I have had it happen to me once this winter as well... On all my old vehicles I'd put silicone, either spray on a rag and wipe seals or else a dab of Sil-Glyde rubbed in - but after reading on the forums that Gummi Pflege was the way to go I did two coats of GP on all seals last good cleaning I did of the car before cold weather. Apparently either nothing would have helped, or else silicone works better in this one instance... (although I do know that your body shop will hate you if they ever have to do any repairs in the door seal area because any silicone on the paint will cause fisheyes if not aggressively cleaned off.)
N8N is offline   United_States
      02-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
DUI Elite
///M at Heart

Drives: 2006 SGM E90

yeah, i'd recommend a de-icer if its bad. definetly not water.
      02-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
vapore0n
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335i

I used to have a Subaru and their windows are frameless too. Or were.
Anyway. I used silicone spray, like the one sold in autozone.
Spray on a paper towel and wipe on all rubber seals.
Have never had a door freeze on me in 10 years. Seals look like new too.
      02-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
Fun w/N54
First Lieutenant

Today didn't have much if any buildup on outside near trim. The location where the bonding/freezing is taking place is below the door molding. Thought about deicer but being pressured I would probably get more on side of car than would actually seep down window maybe just feed a thin flat piece of plastic along between window and molding.
      02-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
PSEE
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335d

why not park your car the night before leaving the windows just a crack?

that way, they're down just a bit and you could raise them up and get the ice
buildup off the bottom of the window glass.

In an old air cooled VW with no heat, I used to leave the windows cracked open
at night to avoid having ice form on the INSIDE.

YMMV

02-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
bimmerfrk
Private First Class

Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 4dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSEE View Post
why not park your car the night before leaving the windows just a crack?

that way, they're down just a bit and you could raise them up and get the ice
buildup off the bottom of the window glass.

In an old air cooled VW with no heat, I used to leave the windows cracked open
at night to avoid having ice form on the INSIDE.

YMMV

This is the most stupid suggestion I have heard on e90post.... not trying to be rude, but do people think prior to typing. I hope you donít have kids because their reasoning surely canít be any better than yours.
      02-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
AllBlackBimmer
Major

Quote:

Let me rephrases:

Warm as in... actually cold water, not warm or even "hand washing warm" ... it just needs to be above freezing, and last time i checked, even the coldest water coming out of your facuet isn't as cold as ice haha

I get the thermal shock reasonings, but I dont see a huge issue with this, esp, if getting in the car and driving it awhile with the heat on.

You by NO MEANs want to pour 80 or 90 degree or even remotely "hot" or "really warm" water on your ice-cold car... that would be badddd for the glass...

... take a cheap jar you are going to throw out, run it under hot water, and then thermally shock it with freezing water... well, just handling the jar wrong could crack/shatter the glass... thermal shock for glass= about your windows.
      02-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
WhatADream
Private

Drives: 335i Sedan 09'

Just an idea, but you might be able to try putting a super small amount of clear greese on the window part that gets frozen.
OR
perhaps you can try warming up some rubbign alcohol and defrosting the window with that. Alcohol doesnt freeze like water and evaporates much faster.
OR
Try using a small amount of windshield washer fluid to defrost, as that doesnt freeze like water either.
      02-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Kernel Kurtz
Lieutenant

Drives: '11 e90 335xi SE 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
This is the most stupid suggestion I have heard on e90post.... not trying to be rude, but do people think prior to typing. I hope you donít have kids because their reasoning surely canít be any better than yours.
I'm not sure it's something you should have to do regularly, and I'm not familiar with the verts, but it does work. If I wash my car when it's -20 or lower here, my windows will all be frozen shut the next morning. Unless I make a long trip where the cabin stays warm for a while, they can remain this way for days. This makes using the card access at my work parkade a pain.

If you leave the window down just a bit, it does not freeze to the seals, and the offending moisture largely sublimates overnight. Next morning windows work as normal, and continue to do so.
      02-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
foghat
Captain

Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
Let me rephrases:

Warm as in... actually cold water, not warm or even "hand washing warm" ... it just needs to be above freezing, and last time i checked, even the coldest water coming out of your facuet isn't as cold as ice haha

I get the thermal shock reasonings, but I dont see a huge issue with this, esp, if getting in the car and driving it awhile with the heat on.

You by NO MEANs want to pour 80 or 90 degree or even remotely "hot" or "really warm" water on your ice-cold car... that would be badddd for the glass...

... take a cheap jar you are going to throw out, run it under hot water, and then thermally shock it with freezing water... well, just handling the jar wrong could crack/shatter the glass... thermal shock for glass= about your windows.
I wasn't thinking about thermal shock. I'd say pouring any temperature water down the window while it is freezing out is a bad idea. Perhaps it will free the window in for the time being. But what do you think happens to that water after a few minutes in freezing weather?

Likely you are back to square one, or worse. Unless, like I said, your destination is some place above freezing. And even then, opening the door to get out could be an issue.
      02-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
bimmer74
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 128i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun w/N54 View Post
Today didn't have much if any buildup on outside near trim. The location where the bonding/freezing is taking place is below the door molding. Thought about deicer but being pressured I would probably get more on side of car than would actually seep down window maybe just feed a thin flat piece of plastic along between window and molding.
I use a thin plastic putty knife that I run between the window and the bottom seal right before I open the door. Works like a charm to unstick the frozen window.
      02-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #18
Built My Way
Lieutenant

Drives: mls ----------

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer74 View Post
I use a thin plastic putty knife that I run between the window and the bottom seal right before I open the door. Works like a charm to unstick the frozen window.
I use an old credit card. Works great.
Built My Way is offline   Canada
      02-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #19
LegendGary
Private

Drives: Slow E90

Go to your local gas station or autozone and get a small cheap ice scraper. Or use an old credit card. Warm water with the code weather might shatter your window.
      02-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #20
AllBlackBimmer
Major

Quote:
I wasn't thinking about thermal shock. I'd say pouring any temperature water down the window while it is freezing out is a bad idea. Perhaps it will free the window in for the time being. But what do you think happens to that water after a few minutes in freezing weather?

Likely you are back to square one, or worse. Unless, like I said, your destination is some place above freezing. And even then, opening the door to get out could be an issue.
At least you're in your car driving and not standing outside freeing your ass off
      02-16-2013, 05:20 AM   #21
ryan970
Major

Drives: Tiag 328i,DGM F10 550

I dont think this ever happened to me even when it was 7 degrees outside. But I live in colorado so it's pretty dry.
      02-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #22
Fun w/N54
First Lieutenant

You guys are great...putty knife, old credit card, old DL or just leave window cracked. Yes in WI we have moisture even in winter.