E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > The suspension clunking, clicking, rattling, banging noise fix thread.

09-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
The suspension clunking, clicking, rattling, banging noise fix thread.

Over the years I've seen plenty of threads about people complaining about suspension clunks, clicks, rattles, bangs, and however else you can describe these noises. The threads are all over the place and it's simply hard to pinpoint and search for the fixes.

I thought a thread that combines the solutions for specific noises would be helpful. We can all try and describe the noises as best we can, and how we effectively FIXED the problem. To keep this thread clean, let's try not to just post questions in this thread, but just post solutions. Over time the thread will become a useful resource and may be a worthwhile sticky. Feel free to post links to individual posts or threads that have solutions.

I'll start:

Symptom: Clicking noise when the wheels go over speed bumps. The front suspension clicks when I go over speed bumps slowly. I can barely hear the clicks when hitting bumps in the road (maybe because the road noise overcomes it). Even when the rear wheels go over the speed bumps, I can hear the noise as it "twists" the car and the loads cause some clicking noises. There are no noises when I turn or take corners, only over bumps.

Solution: The front sway bar endlink was loose. One side of the endlink connects to the sway bar, and the other side connects to the shock on the front of the E9x. The nut that holds the endlink to the shock was loose on mine, about 1.5 turns. I removed the nut, added a drop of blue loctite, and torqued it back down. The clicking is now gone.

Notes: This was on an adjustable endlink from Hotchkis (I have Hotchkis swaybars front and rear). I ended up checking all the other nuts and added a tiny bit of loctite to prevent them from coming loose again.
      09-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1.9L of fury

some of the common issues:

loose top nut - symptoms include clunking sound over bumps. solution, re tighten top nut with car on ground and suspension loaded.

strut guide lower washer (tapered) installed upside down - symptoms include steering that sticks and doesn't center properly, and/or makes noise when turning. solution is to remove front strut guide and flip the washer over, then reinstall.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
Awesome! Now I'll give whoever props if you tell me how to get to the drain bolt on the PS unit from the bottom of the car....My car has AS.

As of now, I figured the only way to loosen the PS drain bolt is from the top, under the hood. It looks like I have to remove the CP possibly for more room to work.....

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep

Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Got one more I forgot to post. The problem is a really obvious banging sound from the trunk when going over bumps and making turns. It is not subtle at all and sounds like something is definitely smashing around in the trunk. It comes from the upper rear shock mount, and if you have fold down back seats, you can hear it very distinctly if you fold one seat down and listen for it.

The problem is that the rear shock mount may not be properly seated inside the hole of the body of the car. It is part #6 in this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=33&fg=45

The nipple that faces up, fits into a hole in the sheet metal of the car. If the nipple doesn't sit in there properly (during installation, or it gets worn and breaks), then the actual metal part of the shock bangs against the sheet metal itself. To fix, replace that part and ensure that it is properly mounted.

Original thread where a few members had this problem:
www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168304
      09-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep

Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [3.50]
Great thread, Brian!

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
Good thread. Great idea. Helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
JStang
N54 ADDICT
Rep

Drives: FBO E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
some of the common issues:

loose top nut - symptoms include clunking sound over bumps. solution, re tighten top nut with car on ground and suspension loaded.

strut guide lower washer (tapered) installed upside down - symptoms include steering that sticks and doesn't center properly, and/or makes noise when turning. solution is to remove front strut guide and flip the washer over, then reinstall.
The 19MM nut that is on the top of the strut was the cause of my issue. It had loosened itself to the point where I could move it with my finger.