E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Best wax/final polish, by hand, for black metallic



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
5soko
Brigadier General
 
5soko's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 4,216
iTrader: (4)

Best wax/final polish, by hand, for black metallic

Hey guys, so I wanted to do a nice small detail on my car in the garage while its sitting there.

What is everyone recommendation on a good wax and final polish to be applied by hand for black sapphire metallic?

The claying on the car is done, I just want to add a final polish by hand and throw a nice coat of wax on by hand.

Thanks!
__________________
Current: ///M5 LCI with Evolve and RPi mods
Previous: E92 335i ||| FBO Heavy modded E90 LCI M-Sport 335i
5soko is offline   Montenegro
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
onebamf335i
Captain
 
onebamf335i's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i 6MT & '89 325i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Swansea,MA

Posts: 786
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to onebamf335i
Klasse, FTW...great product for dark cars. Really brings out the shine on my SGM and enhances the deep, deep color.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Klasse-M6/
__________________
2007 E90 335i 6MT | BMWCCA #449180 | SGM / Terra / Dark Burl Walnut | Mtech front | Premium/Cold | PDC | BMW SSK | Performance Knob | Alcantara Boots | Matte Black Grilles | BMS DCI | Cyba Scoops | Clutch Stop | BC Coils | M2 exhaust
onebamf335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Detailed Image's Avatar
 
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, NY

Posts: 3,449
iTrader: (5)

Lots of great options for you.

Polishes
The Klasse All In One (AIO) is a good polish and sealant in one bottle that clean, shines and protects.

I'd probably suggest a straight polish that doesn't protect, like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205, this will remove more of the surface imperfections and help you get that optically clear surface back so it's like new! Apply this with medium arm pressure in a circular motion for best results by hand.

Protection
Afterwards apply a coat of sealant or wax for protection. Sealants lasts much longer than a natural carnauba wax so I'd recommend a sealant for a daily driver. The Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant and the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection are two of my favorite sealants!

If you prefer a wax the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax is one of the best values out there! It looks great on dark paint and offers solid protection. If your budget is a bit more check out the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concours Paste Wax Version 2 or the Chemical Guys Black Wax. Both of these are exceptional waxes and deliver outstanding results!

Lastly don't forget we have 20% off through 2/15 with the code VDAY13. If you have any questions please let me know!

Greg @ DI
Detailed Image is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
5soko
Brigadier General
 
5soko's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 4,216
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Lots of great options for you.

Polishes
The Klasse All In One (AIO) is a good polish and sealant in one bottle that clean, shines and protects.

I'd probably suggest a straight polish that doesn't protect, like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205, this will remove more of the surface imperfections and help you get that optically clear surface back so it's like new! Apply this with medium arm pressure in a circular motion for best results by hand.

Protection
Afterwards apply a coat of sealant or wax for protection. Sealants lasts much longer than a natural carnauba wax so I'd recommend a sealant for a daily driver. The Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant and the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection are two of my favorite sealants!

If you prefer a wax the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax is one of the best values out there! It looks great on dark paint and offers solid protection. If your budget is a bit more check out the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concours Paste Wax Version 2 or the Chemical Guys Black Wax. Both of these are exceptional waxes and deliver outstanding results!

Lastly don't forget we have 20% off through 2/15 with the code VDAY13. If you have any questions please let me know!

Greg @ DI

Awesome Greg, thanks for that.

I think im gonna go with the M205 polish and the poorboys wax.
What pads do I use with each. Working by hand again on my Black bmw.

Also, the M205 polish is a one step final polish correct? can just use that by hand and can throw wax on top of that no other polish. Just need something light polish that I can use by hand, nothing crazy.
I know a friend of mine told me to get the adams hand polishing kit, ( swirl and haze remover polish with the revive polish and buttery wax) but I think the setup you have shown me is better and cheaper.
__________________
Current: ///M5 LCI with Evolve and RPi mods
Previous: E92 335i ||| FBO Heavy modded E90 LCI M-Sport 335i
5soko is offline   Montenegro
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
 
pander5's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,009
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
While waiting for Greg to confirm, i use 205 as a last step final polish so i would say yes, that's your one and only step before wax. I am a big fan of isopropyl alcohol wipedowns before wax or sealant is applied just to make sure the paint is free of anything that might inhibit the wax or sealant bond to the paint and left behind from the polish step.
__________________
M3 + trailer hitch = oxymoron
pander5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
5soko
Brigadier General
 
5soko's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 4,216
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pander5
While waiting for Greg to confirm, i use 205 as a last step final polish so i would say yes, that's your one and only step before wax. I am a big fan of isopropyl alcohol wipedowns before wax or sealant is applied just to make sure the paint is free of anything that might inhibit the wax or sealant bond to the paint and left behind from the polish step.
Thanks buddy! Yea i think i will def do the whipedown! Got a nice list of stuff to order from greg the fun begins
__________________
Current: ///M5 LCI with Evolve and RPi mods
Previous: E92 335i ||| FBO Heavy modded E90 LCI M-Sport 335i
5soko is offline   Montenegro
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
 
psnt1ol's Avatar
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: san francisco

Posts: 461
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pander5 View Post
While waiting for Greg to confirm, i use 205 as a last step final polish so i would say yes, that's your one and only step before wax. I am a big fan of isopropyl alcohol wipedowns before wax or sealant is applied just to make sure the paint is free of anything that might inhibit the wax or sealant bond to the paint and left behind from the polish step.
Just to add a bit of value on what pander5 was saying regarding the IPA....Look up Eraser by CarPro on the DI site. It cost more than a typical IPA but it is less harsh and absolutely no streaks when it flashes (especially on dark paint).
__________________


What is absolute control???? Having the means and the abilities to exercise it at will but....chooses not to.
psnt1ol is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
fireline43
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 497
iTrader: (0)

i've seen good things from auto finesse tripple. I plan on getting it once I'm low on my current products.
fireline43 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Rickstir
Private First Class
 
Rickstir's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335xI Couple
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Md.

Posts: 129
iTrader: (0)

I use DoDo Juice Purple Haze on my black sapphire metallic BMW. It works great ! Goes on very easy, and really brings out the metallic flake in the paint.

I just picked up Swissvax that is made for BMW paint, but have not applied it. I'll likely do that in another when I spring clean my car.
Rickstir is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
 
MrQuickR1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 328i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 284
iTrader: (0)

I'm a Meguiars fan but I am trying Blackfire Wet Diamond as soon as it gets warm out in NJ
MrQuickR1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
fireline43
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 497
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickstir View Post
I use DoDo Juice Purple Haze on my black sapphire metallic BMW. It works great ! Goes on very easy, and really brings out the metallic flake in the paint.

I just picked up Swissvax that is made for BMW paint, but have not applied it. I'll likely do that in another when I spring clean my car.
isn't swissvax kind of expensive though?
fireline43 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
ArchiProf
member
 
ArchiProf's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i XDrive Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 109
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I am hoping for a break in the rain to do a wash, clay, polish, and try the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish. Will post photos after completion of the process.


UPDATE: OK, we got a break in the rain so I washed the car and polished the trunk lid only due to rain forecast to return in a few hours. I applied the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish by hand since that is what you intend to do. I can definitely see the difference. The rain returned so I will try to finish the entire car next weekend and post photos. BTW, I used Meguiar's 205 polish and black foam pads to apply both products.
__________________
2012 335i X Drive Coupe - Black/Black, 6M, M Sport, Premium, Navigation, apps, black grille, and more...

Last edited by ArchiProf; 04-01-2013 at 06:11 AM. Reason: update
ArchiProf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #13
ArchiProf
member
 
ArchiProf's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i XDrive Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 109
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Here are the results after applying Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish. Overall, I am pleased with the results.
Attached Images
  
__________________
2012 335i X Drive Coupe - Black/Black, 6M, M Sport, Premium, Navigation, apps, black grille, and more...
ArchiProf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
eogintz
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 328xi coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: new jersey

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

I have tried many of these polishes/waxes and always go back to my very favorite wax of all. IMHO Collinite Liquid 845 is simply amazing.

Hard to find in stores (some boat supply places carry it) but can easily be bought on line.

Great shine, depth of clarity, color enhancement, and amazing durability. Very inexpensive, ( a pint goes for around $15 bucks and is probably good for 8 uses) and goes on and off by hand as simply or even easier than quick detailer spray. This has no cleaning properties at all and is a high blend of carnuba and polymers. Car paint should be really deep cleaned before use.
Many pros uses this and it is the only wax that my detailer and bodyshop will use. Will easily last for six months. What is also special about this wax is that it is so slick that rain drops will not leave marks and your car actually looks freshly washed after a good rain. I also use this on alloy wheels as a sealant and to add some gloss and it works quite well for this application. I have been told that it can also be used on glass but I have never tried it.

Developed in early 1900's by Thomas Collins in upstate NY as an insulator for outdoor electric cables and later found to work great on boats, airplanes and eventually tested on cars. A super product that does what it claims to do and at a very reasonable (cheap) price. I have no connection at all to this company.
eogintz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
CrazyNole21
Phizzle
 
CrazyNole21's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida

Posts: 262
iTrader: (14)

DodoJuice Supernatural makes my Montego Blue color pop and shine like no other. Great wax!!!
__________________

/BMS/Koni/H&R/Hotckis/MS/BBS RS-GT/
CrazyNole21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
Otruba_843
Major
 
Otruba_843's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Charleston, SC

Posts: 1,454
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNole21 View Post
DodoJuice Supernatural makes my Montego Blue color pop and shine like no other. Great wax!!!
Some like it and a lot of people hate it. I myself do not care for Dodo juice waxes unless they are from Bouncer's. Keep in mind wax is less than 10% of the look. Its all about the prep work that is what makes a car shine like no other.
__________________
2009 E90 328i Monaco Blue
premium/idrive/convience/logic-7/cold weather/ xenons/ saddle brown interior
Otruba_843 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #17
5soko
Brigadier General
 
5soko's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 4,216
iTrader: (4)

Hey guys, just wanted to update this thread. I bought some Poorboys nattys blue paste wax and it worked amazing! Compared to meguairs, mothers, etc over the counter products. Made my paint look deep and wet, and made the metallic pop! Feels slick as hell aswell. Im really satisfied with the outcome of this product and for the price, can def not go wrong.
__________________
Current: ///M5 LCI with Evolve and RPi mods
Previous: E92 335i ||| FBO Heavy modded E90 LCI M-Sport 335i
5soko is offline   Montenegro
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #18
CrazyNole21
Phizzle
 
CrazyNole21's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida

Posts: 262
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
Some like it and a lot of people hate it. I myself do not care for Dodo juice waxes unless they are from Bouncer's. Keep in mind wax is less than 10% of the look. Its all about the prep work that is what makes a car shine like no other.
Totally agree with you on that note. My car stays in the garage 100% of the time and never sees the rain so I don't use a sealant. My prep work is wash off old wax, clay bar, wash, sometimes a layer of Zymol cleaner wax, then 2 layers of Dodo Supernatural.
__________________

/BMS/Koni/H&R/Hotckis/MS/BBS RS-GT/
CrazyNole21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #19
Otruba_843
Major
 
Otruba_843's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Charleston, SC

Posts: 1,454
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNole21 View Post
Totally agree with you on that note. My car stays in the garage 100% of the time and never sees the rain so I don't use a sealant. My prep work is wash off old wax, clay bar, wash, sometimes a layer of Zymol cleaner wax, then 2 layers of Dodo Supernatural.
I would avoid using Zymol cleaner wax. Its rebranded turtle wax stuff. The good zymol stuff comes from their website.
__________________
2009 E90 328i Monaco Blue
premium/idrive/convience/logic-7/cold weather/ xenons/ saddle brown interior
Otruba_843 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
 
psnt1ol's Avatar
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: san francisco

Posts: 461
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
Keep in mind wax is less than 10% of the look. Its all about the prep work that is what makes a car shine like no other.

If the prep work (decon, correction, polishing) is done flawlessly, one would notice very little difference in looks between a middle of the road wax and a top tier wax. With everything being equal, asking which wax looks better is like asking which ice cream flavor is the best. A great deal of personal taste is involved so it is very subjective. Durability is a different issue all together.


Otruba_843.... I thought your avatar looks familiar. Nice to see another member of the geek here in E90post.
__________________


What is absolute control???? Having the means and the abilities to exercise it at will but....chooses not to.
psnt1ol is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #21
Otruba_843
Major
 
Otruba_843's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Charleston, SC

Posts: 1,454
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post

If the prep work (decon, correction, polishing) is done flawlessly, one would notice very little difference in looks between a middle of the road wax and a top tier wax. With everything being equal, asking which wax looks better is like asking which ice cream flavor is the best. A great deal of personal taste is involved so it is very subjective. Durability is a different issue all together.


Otruba_843.... I thought your avatar looks familiar. Nice to see another member of the geek here in E90post.
Yup yup yup. Im on AG too. The only differences I notice in LSP's is sealants have a slight wet look where as good quality waxes are a little more warm, lack a little wetness, but do offer more clarity. Some waxes I don't even have a visible improvement.
__________________
2009 E90 328i Monaco Blue
premium/idrive/convience/logic-7/cold weather/ xenons/ saddle brown interior
Otruba_843 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #22
essex_lad
Captain
 
essex_lad's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 325i Msport Highline
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Essex

Posts: 703
iTrader: (0)

Iv tried loads of different polish and wax until one day I was given a free bottle of kleers finishing wax and my god is it good especially On black it gives the Car an amazing deep shine and it's a barging too for theresults you get. I'll get pics up soon.
essex_lad is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST