E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Winter Tyre Storage....thoughts?

02-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #23
verysideways
Private First Class

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Only company cars / high milers will change every 2.
Oops, i'm doing it wrong then, i can't remember the last time a tyre was on any of my cars for 3 years

You're right though, there are lots of "normal" cars being driven "normally" and many of those will get 10 years out of a set of tyres. Funnily enough my missus had a Civic Type R and we changed the factory tyres at 7 years (30k miles, Bridgestone RE040) not because they were worn to limit but because they were like concrete - they'd lost all flexibility and had started to crack apart. They had ceased to grip in the dry and were lethal in the wet.
      02-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #24
doughboy
Major General

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Oops, i'm doing it wrong then, i can't remember the last time a tyre was on any of my cars for 3 years
Ok, ok, add ahem 'enthusiastic driving' to that list
      02-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #25
raj55
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E91 2009, 320i

Here in Sweden where winter tyres are mandatory every one has a dubbel set of tyres, one for winter and one for summer. We always wash our winter tyres and rim to get rid of salt and road dust, dry them and store them in dark plastic bags in the back dark corner of garage. That way the rubber stays soft and pliable for many winters. My take home message is don't forget to wash them with car shampoo and water before storing them for next winter.
raj55 is offline   Sweden
      02-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #26
magic77
Colonel

Drives: 320

Very good point Raj. Had my handly steam cleaned the other day with neighbors heated pressure washer on low setting to avoid rubber damage

Titanium Silver E90 LCI 320D M Sport Saloon
- Logic 7/ USB Connectity and Bluetooth/ Visibility Pack (Xenons, Adaptive Lights,Auto Wipers Lights and Corner Lights) / Sun Protection Glass/M Spoiler / Brake Ducts / BMW Performance Pack / BBS Wheels / SS Cat Back straight through with BCS Backbox