E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N54 Belt Replacement - Pulley's too?

02-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
daMau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

N54 Belt Replacement - Pulley's too?

I am getting some squeaky/squealing noises from the belt/accessories on start ups on cold mornings, which go away after a couple minutes of driving.

I figure I will just replace the belt because it's a cheap DIY and can't hurt, but should I also consider replacing the tensioner or any pulleys at the same time? Anyone know of a common culprit on these cars for such a noise?

Car: 2007 335i 55k
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dMau1986 View Post
I am getting some squeaky/squealing noises from the belt/accessories on start ups on cold mornings, which go away after a couple minutes of driving.

I figure I will just replace the belt because it's a cheap DIY and can't hurt, but should I also consider replacing the tensioner or any pulleys at the same time? Anyone know of a common culprit on these cars for such a noise?

Car: 2007 335i 55k
If it were my car and doing it DIY, I'd get a new tensioner and idler pulleys (the N54 has two) along with a new belt. If it is making noises, then one of the pulleys is going bad. You can usually tell by how they free-spin. They should not free-spin very easily and should have some drag to them when to try to free-spin them. You could pull the belt off, check the pulleys, find which one is bad (it's a guess most the time) and just replace it, but I'd bet a dollar you'd be back in there soon replacing another pulley (and pay more shipping charges). I'd also get a new bolt for the tensioner too, I seen posts on here where the bolt has broken. Best to just replace everything and know it's all new.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
ek99civic
BMW Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If it were my car and doing it DIY, I'd get a new tensioner and idler pulleys (the N54 has two) along with a new belt. If it is making noises, then one of the pulleys is going bad. You can usually tell by how they free-spin. They should not free-spin very easily and should have some drag to them when to try to free-spin them. You could pull the belt off, check the pulleys, find which one is bad (it's a guess most the time) and just replace it, but I'd bet a dollar you'd be back in there soon replacing another pulley (and pay more shipping charges). I'd also get a new bolt for the tensioner too, I seen posts on here where the bolt has broken. Best to just replace everything and know it's all new.
Agree with above. Had the same problem and it came out to be the pulleys.
Appreciate 0