E90Post
 


Motormavericks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Rubbernecking



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
2

 
chaz_master's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i E92 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK


Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)

Rubbernecking

Seriously, when will this stop?

I'm sick and tired of sitting in an hours traffic only to find out the cause is due to people in front of me staring at the incident on the other side of the road. Not only is it a waste of time and completely irritating, it's fucking dangerous as well.

They need to put out some kind of news bulletin, adverts etc. Whatever they're doing to stop it isn't working. They really need to nail it home to people, honestly.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
43

 
phil200tdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aylesbury


Posts: 2,631
iTrader: (1)

A 12ft high extendable curtain rising out of the central reservation would do the trick...
__________________
Car: 2010 Jaguar XFR (Stock - For now)
Gone but not forgotten: Highly Modified E90 335i LCI M Sport Manual (circa 480BHP/500lb ft)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
Sir_Pigley
Captain
United Kingdom
12

 
Sir_Pigley's Avatar
 
Drives: 525d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Banbury


Posts: 843
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to Sir_Pigley
The accusations of rubber necking are largely exaggerated in my opinion.

If you are going along a busy motorway and there a big incident on the other side of the road it's totally natural to slow down a bit. There could easily be debris on the opposite cariaageway from the incident for instance.

The knock on impact of this on a busy motorway is to cause bunching of the traffic which ultimately permeates and gets worse.

So it's inevitable that it cause congestion on the other side of the road.

So chill out and don't be so self-righteous!

On the other hand the BBC News recently had an article about screens for such instances
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
MPD78
Private
0

 
Drives: 330i M Sport 2006
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Essex


Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Maybe this will help.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20851775
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
Billyray911
Colonel
United Kingdom
30

 
Billyray911's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d Msport,touring
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mind your own business...no,really.


Posts: 2,703
iTrader: (6)

Its human nature unfortunately.The highways agency have screens for this purpose-not used enough though and probably not practical when dealing with a minor or semi-serious and there is a likelihood of the carriageway being cleared quickly...
Ah,scratch that-just looked at the last reply!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
mob17
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
75

 
mob17's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Midlands, UK


Posts: 3,790
iTrader: (4)

I find people hogging the third lane of a mororway more annoying and more dangerous. Forces me to do an undertake, and not a casual one
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
5

 
Sportplus's Avatar
 
Drives: 318i M Sport E91
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London


Posts: 551
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
I find people hogging the third lane of a mororway more annoying and more dangerous. Forces me to do an undertake, and not a casual one
I disagree, itís the folk hogging the middle lane that cause the problems. Nobody wants to drive in the empty left hand lane for fear of ridicule

()
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
2

 
chaz_master's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i E92 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK


Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Pigley
The accusations of rubber necking are largely exaggerated in my opinion.

If you are going along a busy motorway and there a big incident on the other side of the road it's totally natural to slow down a bit. There could easily be debris on the opposite cariaageway from the incident for instance.

The knock on impact of this on a busy motorway is to cause bunching of the traffic which ultimately permeates and gets worse.

So it's inevitable that it cause congestion on the other side of the road.

So chill out and don't be so self-righteous!

On the other hand the BBC News recently had an article about screens for such instances
Sorry but people are slowing down just to have a nose.

I know people who have witnessed accidents just because some idiot is looking at what's going on across the road and ends up rear ending someone.

I'm not just saying this for my own sake, as I said before I think it's highly dangerous.

If there was debris or anything on my side then that road needs to be cleared too.

I can assure you that in most incidences, it's because people are just too bloody nosy.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
mob17
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
75

 
mob17's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Midlands, UK


Posts: 3,790
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportplus View Post
I disagree, itís the folk hogging the middle lane that cause the problems. Nobody wants to drive in the empty left hand lane for fear of ridicule

()
True, they are just as annoying but at least you have a legal way to pass. With third lane hoggers you have to resort to illegal activity
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
20

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South East


Posts: 1,698
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_master View Post
Sorry but people are slowing down just to have a nose.

I know people who have witnessed accidents just because some idiot is looking at what's going on across the road and ends up rear ending someone.

I'm not just saying this for my own sake, as I said before I think it's highly dangerous.

If there was debris or anything on my side then that road needs to be cleared too.

I can assure you that in most incidences, it's because people are just too bloody nosy.

LOL mate I watch digital TV in my car with in a traffic jam. Its all good
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
djgandy
Major
11

 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London


Posts: 1,074
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportplus View Post
I disagree, it’s the folk hogging the middle lane that cause the problems. Nobody wants to drive in the empty left hand lane for fear of ridicule

()

That left hand lane is my personal lane, especially on the M25. It is not illegal to pass on the inside, only illegal to under take.

And as Clarkson has said many times, you shouldn't be able to undertake people if they are not driving selfishly!

Middle laners are the reason people in the outside lane are stuck there too, you can't move in because some moron is driving in the middle lane at 60mph, turning the 3 lane motorway into a single lane one for anyone who drives at the speed limit.

Last edited by djgandy; 02-15-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 05:35 AM   #12
seanblee
Captain
United Kingdom
8

 
seanblee's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i SE
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Enfield, UK


Posts: 753
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to seanblee
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
That left hand lane is my personal lane, especially on the M25. It is not illegal to pass on the inside, only illegal to under take.

And as Clarkson has said many times, you shouldn't be able to undertake people if they are not driving selfishly!

Middle laners are the reason people in the outside lane are stuck there too, you can't move in because some moron is driving in the middle lane at 60mph, turning the 3 lane motorway into a single lane one for anyone who drives at the speed limit.
I hate the M1 for this exact reason - the only difference is that the morons camp in lane three of four, leaving two empty lanes up the left (making a lane 1 left-hand pass much safer ).
__________________
2007 E92 335i SE auto | Quaife LSD | Birds B3 ARBs | Evolve Stage 1 | Morel Hybrid 402 | Rainbow IL-W8F | JL 10W3v3 | RF 3sixty.3 | Alpine PDX-V9

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #13
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
70

 
Hotcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK


Posts: 6,105
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
That left hand lane is my personal lane, especially on the M25.
I beg to differ Fella,but at least I now know who it is that holds me up
__________________
=================================


Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
20

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South East


Posts: 1,698
iTrader: (0)

The only issue I had with the slow/normal cruising lane was the ruts lefts by heavy loads vehicles and the tramlining it caused. But I havent noticed it very much at all these so I happy if i am not booting it to chill.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
mob17
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
75

 
mob17's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Midlands, UK


Posts: 3,790
iTrader: (4)

Why aren't UK drivers like the French or Germans, re hogging lanes.
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #16
zltm089
Major General
United Kingdom
90

 
zltm089's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LONDON


Posts: 7,416
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
so many fcuktards on the roads these days....
__________________

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
35

 
RCUK's Avatar
 
Drives: 911 Turbo
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orpington, Kent


Posts: 1,612
iTrader: (4)

Another reason for traffic are fuckwit lorry drivers who pull out to overtake another truck (whose pretty much limited to same bloody speed!!)and then spend 5 mins trying to get past with all other traffic backed up the outside lane and trying to get past the moron truck driver in the middle lane.

Seen this sooo many times its unreal and the traffic it causes.
__________________
Been there, done that, driven the 'Ring
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
djgandy
Major
11

 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London


Posts: 1,074
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
Another reason for traffic are fuckwit lorry drivers who pull out to overtake another truck (whose pretty much limited to same bloody speed!!)and then spend 5 mins trying to get past with all other traffic backed up the outside lane and trying to get past the moron truck driver in the middle lane.

Seen this sooo many times its unreal and the traffic it causes.
This is annoying, but not as annoying as when it is a lorry overtaking a car. What the hell is the car doing?!!?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
2

 
chaz_master's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i E92 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK


Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
LOL mate I watch digital TV in my car with in a traffic jam. Its all good
Haha, I do that in very heavy traffic too. I'd still prefer to be getting to where I need to on time though.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 02:23 AM   #20
1 AKY
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
6

 
1 AKY's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330D MSport Auto
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK


Posts: 400
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK
Another reason for traffic are fuckwit lorry drivers who pull out to overtake another truck (whose pretty much limited to same bloody speed!!)and then spend 5 mins trying to get past with all other traffic backed up the outside lane and trying to get past the moron truck driver in the middle lane.

Seen this sooo many times its unreal and the traffic it causes.
I disagree ( to an extent). It's the fuckwits in the cars hogging the middle lane at the same speed as the HGVs, who don't anticipate the truck's impending overtaking manoeuvre and then just pull out into lane 3 for no reason......and still continue to pootle along at the same speed. Aaaarrgghh!!!

HGVs have speed restrictors and therefore your approach to motorway driving should accommodate for that. Car drivers have no excuse. Check your mirrors, indicate, increase speed, overtake and pull back in. It's not exactly rocket science.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #21
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
2

 
chaz_master's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i E92 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK


Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
I disagree ( to an extent). It's the fuckwits in the cars hogging the middle lane at the same speed as the HGVs, who don't anticipate the truck's impending overtaking manoeuvre and then just pull out into lane 3 for no reason......and still continue to pootle along at the same speed. Aaaarrgghh!!!

HGVs have speed restrictors and therefore your approach to motorway driving should accommodate for that. Car drivers have no excuse. Check your mirrors, indicate, increase speed, overtake and pull back in. It's not exactly rocket science.
I think what you're both saying is true.

I can understand the time restraints HGV drivers have to deal with these days but a lot of the time their overtaking is pointless, it doesn't actually get them much further ahead than the HGV behind.
They'll do it on two lane M/A roads, even when there are signs to tell them not to, that's when it's the worst. You get a huge back up of cars while this HGV spends two minutes trying to overtake, which just causes extra unnecessary danger as well.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST