E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > AFE intakes?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
holmes011
Lieutenant
6
Rep
420
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

AFE intakes?

so I am looking to get a JB4 and an intake but I am a little unsure what I should get because these all look similar. Is it worth going Sealed intake or do I want to go with the regular DCI or the DCI with scoops? I dont intend to track it or anything. Just driving it pretty spirited at times. Thanks


Here are the options....

Also which filter would be better? i dont know the difference (see the options in the links)


http://www.**********s.com/aFe-Stage...ckage-335i.htm


http://www.**********s.com/aFe-Stage...35i-Z4-35i.htm

http://www.**********s.com/AFE-Dual-...-335i-535i.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
holmes011
Lieutenant
6
Rep
420
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

copy and paste the link delete the stars and type in mod bargains...i guess this site won't allow me to put that because they got banned for some reason
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
Rotorocious
Major
Rotorocious's Avatar
32
Rep
1,461
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Afe blows. Loses hp compared to stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
holmes011
Lieutenant
6
Rep
420
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Afe blows. Loses hp compared to stock.
not true but thanks, anyone else? anyone who got either of these systems please way in. Or anyone who knows a lot about the systems. Looking for any insight. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Rotorocious
Major
Rotorocious's Avatar
32
Rep
1,461
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Afe blows. Loses hp compared to stock.
not true but thanks, anyone else? anyone who got either of these systems please way in. Or anyone who knows a lot about the systems. Looking for any insight. Thanks
Before and after Dyno I did said otherwise
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
30
Rep
2,893
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

iTrader: (20)

OP, I thought you might be interested in this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkybiznes View Post
Hope this helps someone out there!

So let's get started .......

The only engine/performance modifications I have installed are as follows:

Borla cat-back exhaust
aFe cold air intake
Dinan Stage II software


Fuel used: Shell V-Power 93 octane

Conditions were NOT ideal .....

97 degrees fahrenheit w/ 30% humidity
Used 2 fans blowing @ at 45 mph
Hood closed for ALL runs .........


In all we ran 3 sets of pulls due to changing the intakes from oem to aFe.
I started with the aFe cai installed first. Since this intake had been installed I have put about 150 miles on the odometer. Well adapted.

The best run w/ the aFe setup?

322.03 rwhp, 344.46 rwtq.


Keeping the hood closed along with the heat situation did not help the numbers. With the hood left open and the temperature 20+ degrees cooler I would expect much better results .....

Oil temp stayed at about the 230 range with 5 minutes between pulls for cool down.

Now the oem pulls .......

After the switch of cai's; the car was driven for approximately 30 minutes to allow for the car to adapt. We then ran one more set of 3 pulls for adapting purposes. Not real sure we got there. For the remainder of these pulls the car temp stayed at the 240 mark.

Best run was 313.40 rwhp / 327.15 rwtq

Besides the heat today I really believe the fans were inadequate with regard to available supply or "wind" needed for cooling. The hood staying closed was a huge contributor as well.

Below I've attached one graph showing the OEM pulls and one graph showing the aFe pull. If you look at the "curve" you will notice that it's about the same rpm range aFe advertises as having the most significant gains. It looks to be about a 15 rwhp difference .....??

OEM pulls .......





aFe pulls .... this is the best result achieved .....





This video shows the difference between the initial oem run and the latter aFe .. not to mention the tt's whistling!



Another pull w/ the aFe ........ second pull dropped 5 hp!! She was sweating



Once the weather starts to cool off I will be attempting some better numbers. However the numbers might reflect performance gains (or lack there of) doesn't take away from my new found enjoyment in driving my 335i once again. It may not show on paper how I would like it to but it definitely has made my ride more enjoyable.


** DISCLAIMER ** I have never had a vehicle (dyno'd) let alone posted anything this lengthy on a forum ......... be kind please
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
CT335xi
First Lieutenant
CT335xi's Avatar
3
Rep
339
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335xi, evo 8, gmc syclone
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Naugatuck,Ct

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes011 View Post
so I am looking to get a JB4 and an intake but I am a little unsure what I should get because these all look similar. Is it worth going Sealed intake or do I want to go with the regular DCI or the DCI with scoops? I dont intend to track it or anything. Just driving it pretty spirited at times. Thanks


Here are the options....

Also which filter would be better? i dont know the difference (see the options in the links)


http://www.**********s.com/aFe-Stage...ckage-335i.htm

http://www.**********s.com/aFe-Stage...35i-Z4-35i.htm

http://www.**********s.com/AFE-Dual-...-335i-535i.htm


I run the stage 2 sealed one, not the elite . I guess I can't really say I feel that it makes much more hp but I don't feel like its lost any. I have yet to dyno the car with the intake and ets 5" fmic . The nice thing is if you want you can run the sealed one with the lid off to get that nice intake sound. Little off topic but where in CT do you live?
__________________
volk re30 18x8.5 / tc kline coilovers / cobb ap / afe stg 2 sealed cai / afe air scoops / 5" ets fmic
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
E90Company
Major General
E90Company's Avatar
No_Country
72
Rep
6,139
Posts

 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

iTrader: (2)

AFE's DCI dousn't lose power. Intake dyno results should be taken with a grain of salt, because there are way to many outside variables to change the result. What should be looked at is your WGDC value as well as IAT's to an extent (which even then isn't very reliable, because it depends on how heat soaked your FMIC is)

To answer your question, any of the three will do their job. Dry filters will have less flow, but filter more dirt compared to the oiled ones. The sealed intakes will receive cooler air, which in turn will make the turbo's work less than an open element intake which sucks in hotter air. The DCI's flow ability somewhat balances this out however, because it can flow more air (no ducting which brings in restrictions). This means the sealed will bring in cooler (denser) air but less of it at higher RPM's, while the DCI will give you more, less dense air. I would say pick based on if you like intake sound or not, and price
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Rotorocious
Major
Rotorocious's Avatar
32
Rep
1,461
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

I think most will agree the Dci has the best bang for the buck.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
holmes011
Lieutenant
6
Rep
420
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
AFE's DCI dousn't lose power. Intake dyno results should be taken with a grain of salt, because there are way to many outside variables to change the result. What should be looked at is your WGDC value as well as IAT's to an extent (which even then isn't very reliable, because it depends on how heat soaked your FMIC is)

To answer your question, any of the three will do their job. Dry filters will have less flow, but filter more dirt compared to the oiled ones. The sealed intakes will receive cooler air, which in turn will make the turbo's work less than an open element intake which sucks in hotter air. The DCI's flow ability somewhat balances this out however, because it can flow more air (no ducting which brings in restrictions). This means the sealed will bring in cooler (denser) air but less of it at higher RPM's, while the DCI will give you more, less dense air. I would say pick based on if you like intake sound or not, and price
i just want whatever is safest for my engine. Also are the scoops actually worth it?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
holmes011
Lieutenant
6
Rep
420
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
I run the stage 2 sealed one, not the elite . I guess I can't really say I feel that it makes much more hp but I don't feel like its lost any. I have yet to dyno the car with the intake and ets 5" fmic . The nice thing is if you want you can run the sealed one with the lid off to get that nice intake sound. Little off topic but where in CT do you live?
around North stamford, is the sealed intake a DCI? it doesnt look like it
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
-StanceCity-
Banned
19
Rep
1,344
Posts

 
Drives: love to piss on fucker's face
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: are you that fucker? lol

iTrader: (2)

I used afe intake less than 3 months. Not worth it. Not much power increased over stock. its sound at wot was too quiet...just like stock box.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
18,360
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
In defense to AFE they make SEVERAL intakes. So to say they all "lose power" is a little off the wall.

BuraQ found substantial gains at the track and on the dyno using the AFE Stage 2 Elite SI Intake. We've been moving quite a lot of those. It's a great intake cause it's sealed box style and only breathes in cold air, unlike other DCI's.

They also have a cold air intake style which is based off the stage 2 elite si, that is a good performer as well but because of the price tag nobody really has it. We've maybe sold a handful of those.

Thread starter, if you need any help I'm a PM away. Our AFE intakes are priced extremely competitive if not better then the competition too.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #14
BuraQ
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
BuraQ's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
3,211
Posts


 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
I got make myself a draft for threads like this for everytime they come up.

A DCI setup regardless if it is aFe or BMS etc will produce more gains over stock intake.

However, for the cheaper cost for more gains your turbos will "work harder" to produce boost and they become "less efficient". The reason is because the air in the engine bay is less dense than the "outside" ambient air.

Then other problem is having your BMW engine bay to looking like this



If your not keeping your car or its a lease, then go ahead and fire it up

Sometimes the cheaper alternatives come with an equal exchange ie a compromise depending on what you feel is more important to you.

CAI or Cold Air Intakes are exactly what they are. These are the benefits:
  • More Air Flow
  • Less Air Restriction
  • More Dense Air ie Cooler Air
  • Turbo Efficiency

Depending on the CAI it can produce near or even more gains than a DCI

I am running the aFe Stage 2 Elite SI, and it produced significant gains over the stock intake. Both tests where done in almost 10F difference with the stock intake tested in the lower temps



In the winter weather intake cover can be taken off if your going to be racing and during summer weather cover on. Test above was done with cover on

However there is a general consensus, if you are not running more the 15+ PSI stick with the stock intake, just get a K&N filter replacement and perhaps add air scoops

Top Gear Solutions has the best deals you will find on NEW intakes
__________________
BQ Tuning by WedgePerformance - Torque Junkies
DCT 335is 121-122 mph in the 1/4 mile Stock Turbos / Full Weight
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
holmes011
Lieutenant
6
Rep
420
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
I got make myself a draft for threads like this for everytime they come up.

A DCI setup regardless if it is aFe or BMS etc will produce more gains over stock intake.

However, for the cheaper cost for more gains your turbos will "work harder" to produce boost and they become "less efficient". The reason is because the air in the engine bay is less dense than the "outside" ambient air.

Then other problem is having your BMW engine bay to looking like this



If your not keeping your car or its a lease, then go ahead and fire it up

Sometimes the cheaper alternatives come with an equal exchange ie a compromise depending on what you feel is more important to you.

CAI or Cold Air Intakes are exactly what they are. These are the benefits:
  • More Air Flow
  • Less Air Restriction
  • More Dense Air ie Cooler Air
  • Turbo Efficiency

Depending on the CAI it can produce near or even more gains than a DCI

I am running the aFe Stage 2 Elite SI, and it produced significant gains over the stock intake. Both tests where done in almost 10F difference with the stock intake tested in the lower temps



In the winter weather intake cover can be taken off if your going to be racing and during summer weather cover on. Test above was done with cover on

However there is a general consensus, if you are not running more the 15+ PSI stick with the stock intake, just get a K&N filter replacement and perhaps add air scoops

Top Gear Solutions has the best deals you will find on NEW intakes

i plan running map 1 on jb4 and i dont plan on tracking, what do you think i should do then?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
95
Rep
4,625
Posts

 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

iTrader: (13)

I think you should save your money and add an fmic

Better gains, safer for your car, more consistency
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
gzim335
Captain
gzim335's Avatar
Montenegro
11
Rep
661
Posts

 
Drives: 07 e90n54-08 zx10r-lci328ix
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: staten island ny

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007/1 e90 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious
Afe blows. Loses hp compared to stock.
u dont know what ur talking about,log car and see how the iat rises with dci,the sealed afe is worlds ahead
__________________
2007/1 e90 335i jet black

jb4 g5 iso/race flash--rb turbos/rb pcv--bms occ--dci/scoops--cpe dp's corsa race full system--cpe ic--er cp/hks bov--trunk mount meth cm7/cm10--inline lpfp--kw v2/stoptech bbk f&r--m3 bits f&r,m3 fsb,wavetrack lsd--f14s nitto invo--lci conversion
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
CT335xi
First Lieutenant
CT335xi's Avatar
3
Rep
339
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335xi, evo 8, gmc syclone
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Naugatuck,Ct

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes011 View Post
around North stamford, is the sealed intake a DCI? it doesnt look like it
No the sealed intake is not a dci, it has one big oval shaped air filter.
__________________
volk re30 18x8.5 / tc kline coilovers / cobb ap / afe stg 2 sealed cai / afe air scoops / 5" ets fmic
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
BuraQ
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
BuraQ's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
3,211
Posts


 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes011 View Post
i plan running map 1 on jb4 and i dont plan on tracking, what do you think i should do then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I think you should save your money and add an fmic

Better gains, safer for your car, more consistency
+ 1 what Kenny said. This should be first priority.Take care off cooling before raising boost

JB4 Map 1 prompts for 13 PSI, so keep the stock intake, and invest in upgrading your FMIC, then Oil Cooler, then intake, then downpipes (keep your mid catts on if your going cattless DPs. This is IMO)

Then you will will be "efficiently" ready to start bumping boost up
__________________
BQ Tuning by WedgePerformance - Torque Junkies
DCT 335is 121-122 mph in the 1/4 mile Stock Turbos / Full Weight
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #20
Rotorocious
Major
Rotorocious's Avatar
32
Rep
1,461
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzim335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious
Afe blows. Loses hp compared to stock.
u dont know what ur talking about,log car and see how the iat rises with dci,the sealed afe is worlds ahead
Just from my experience: baselined stock on the Dyno. Let it cool, I installed the afe stage 2, Dynod it again and it did not produce any significant difference (hood open and closed). In fact if anything it dropped torque and hp a bit. Ambient outside was 30-40* iirc.

That was enough for me and I returned it the next day.
This was years ago back in the jb3 days so maybe they redesigned it.
But no where near worth the $250
Or whatever I paid.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #21
BuraQ
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
BuraQ's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
3,211
Posts


 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Just from my experience: baselined stock on the Dyno. Let it cool, I installed the afe stage 2, Dynod it again and it did not produce any significant difference (hood open and closed). In fact if anything it dropped torque and hp a bit. Ambient outside was 30-40* iirc.

That was enough for me and I returned it the next day.
This was years ago back in the jb3 days so maybe they redesigned it.
But no where near worth the $250
Or whatever I paid.
The error in this is the DME needs time to adapt to the sudden changes. Thats why my test was a month apart and I am glad I tested the aFe in "worse temp conditions" from the previous stock

Also, aFe Power makes it very clear that you will not see the gains until after the DME has adapted to the new mod.
__________________
BQ Tuning by WedgePerformance - Torque Junkies
DCT 335is 121-122 mph in the 1/4 mile Stock Turbos / Full Weight
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #22
rush jamaica
Captain
rush jamaica's Avatar
6
Rep
697
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i bmw
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ga

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Octane View Post
I used afe intake less than 3 months. Not worth it. Not much power increased over stock. its sound at wot was too quiet...just like stock box.
That's not true i think it sounds better than the oem box I don't know about the the hp but afe feels better on my car with a tune
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST