E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335i Insurance



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-24-2013, 04:46 AM   #23
Subzero2003
Captain
9
Rep
665
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I would strongly recommend NOT buying a 335i as your first car. The insurance price is mental because the Insurance company is reasonably confident you will stack it. A first car will generally see a ditch or two, be scraped against a couple of walls, bounced up a few kerbs etc - you can't do this sort of stuff in a 335i.

Not to mention the fact that you'll have more than 300bhp, going to the rear wheels, under your foot and absolutely no experience of how to control this.

FWIW I think you're doing something wrong to get an insurance price of £3000. I paid £1200 for my E46 330i at 21 with 0NCB. Last year on my 335i I paid £715 with 2 NCB, 24 yr old and cosmetic mods declared.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #24
Subzero2003
Captain
9
Rep
665
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

sorry misread, you got a price of £1800 with a... lol.... £3000 excess.

please for all that is holy do not have a £3000 excess. Especially as you're wanting a 335i for your first car which means you'll probably have to end up paying this excess at some point.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:54 AM   #25
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Danny.B.'s Avatar
26
Rep
1,569
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England - Lincolnshire

iTrader: (1)

why is everyone assuming that because hes getting a 335 for his first car hes going to go out in a ball of flames?

hes 23 not just 17!

i say go for it mate, excess is a cost you pay only if you fuck up! so.... dont fuck up!

simples!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #26
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
20
Rep
1,698
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.B. View Post
why is everyone assuming that because hes getting a 335 for his first car hes going to go out in a ball of flames?

hes 23 not just 17!

i say go for it mate, excess is a cost you pay only if you fuck up! so.... dont fuck up!

simples!
Agreed.

He also did say that getting a smaller engined car was coming up as similar costs for him too.

Go for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #27
Subzero2003
Captain
9
Rep
665
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.B. View Post
why is everyone assuming that because hes getting a 335 for his first car hes going to go out in a ball of flames?

hes 23 not just 17!
Because he's got no appreciative driving experience. Zero. Sure maybe he's even poked around town for a bit in his mums Fiesta, but nothing on the level of a 306bhp RWD BMW. Maybe he doesn't even have that level of experience. OP, when did you pass your driving test?

It isn't all about his age. It's about experience and skill. Most car enthusiasts work their way up the car ladder, which means their experience level goes up as the power of the car they are driving increases. Having 300hp to the rear wheels requires a certain level of skill and car control when you use this power. And trust me, anyone who buys a 335i is planning on using the power. The insurance company seem to agree with my point of view that it isn't a good idea too from the fact they want him to pay nearly 2000 for his premium AND a 3000 excess. It just simply isn't worth it. The sensible thing to do was to buy a low priced car, with a bit of power (think 150-200bhp) and have that for a couple of years, then when the insurance has dropped to non mental prices AND you know what driving a quick car is like, then buy a 335i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.B. View Post
i say go for it mate, excess is a cost you pay only if you fuck up! so.... dont fuck up!

simples!
Oh good - problem solved. If only it was a case of just saying to yourself "don't fuck up" and you won't. I think i might tell myself "to not fuck up" and get my excess increased to save a bit of money.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #28
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Danny.B.'s Avatar
26
Rep
1,569
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England - Lincolnshire

iTrader: (1)

I had 300bhp rwd car practically a year after passing my test. I was 18 when i brought it.

Id say it made me a better driver because i got used to higher powered cars quicker.

Just because its a high powered car doesnt always mean your going to crash and burn.

I do see your point subzero. But no one person is the same! So i stick by my first comment OP!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #29
sshirazz
Private First Class
1
Rep
117
Posts

 
Drives: A bottle of water
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
Because he's got no appreciative driving experience. Zero. Sure maybe he's even poked around town for a bit in his mums Fiesta, but nothing on the level of a 306bhp RWD BMW. Maybe he doesn't even have that level of experience. OP, when did you pass your driving test?

It isn't all about his age. It's about experience and skill. Most car enthusiasts work their way up the car ladder, which means their experience level goes up as the power of the car they are driving increases. Having 300hp to the rear wheels requires a certain level of skill and car control when you use this power. And trust me, anyone who buys a 335i is planning on using the power. The insurance company seem to agree with my point of view that it isn't a good idea too from the fact they want him to pay nearly 2000 for his premium AND a 3000 excess. It just simply isn't worth it. The sensible thing to do was to buy a low priced car, with a bit of power (think 150-200bhp) and have that for a couple of years, then when the insurance has dropped to non mental prices AND you know what driving a quick car is like, then buy a 335i.



Oh good - problem solved. If only it was a case of just saying to yourself "don't fuck up" and you won't. I think i might tell myself "to not fuck up" and get my excess increased to save a bit of money.
I don't understand how you can say I have no driving experience. I've driven a Mercedes SLK for 2 weeks, a e90 320d for a weeks and have driven a e46 325i for a week. I am a confident driver

All I wanted to know is what I originally posted.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #30
sshirazz
Private First Class
1
Rep
117
Posts

 
Drives: A bottle of water
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.B. View Post
why is everyone assuming that because hes getting a 335 for his first car hes going to go out in a ball of flames?

hes 23 not just 17!

i say go for it mate, excess is a cost you pay only if you fuck up! so.... dont fuck up!

simples!
Thanks for the advice bro!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #31
Yoro35i
TROll
Yoro35i's Avatar
United Kingdom
31
Rep
2,339
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335I M
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London

iTrader: (1)

Subzero -OP didn't ask for anyone's recommendation. so keep your opinions to yourself and get back to topic. fair enough if you want to rant about young drivers buying cars and crashing and increasing your premium, it's his life and his money and he has the right to buy what he wants.
__________________
MY08 E92 335i M Sport|Wrap by Surrey Project |ETS Intercooler|VSRF Dp's|BMS OCC|BMC filter|CoBB AP|EBC Yellow & Coolcarbons rear|Alpina AT Map|Michelin PSS |CF grills,CF mirror,CF Performace spoiler|LCI light|CIC controller retrofit|2014 Mods: Birds B3 Suspension kit,Project Mu pads,Afe Filter and PTF Protune & Pilot sports cups. Gone:Forged FMIC, Eisenmann Race Quad, Eisenmann Sport Dual, Duke Dynamic Diffuser. Eibach Pro springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #32
Rob318
Private First Class
1
Rep
100
Posts

 
Drives: E92 318i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

I wouldn't do it for 2 reasons.

First, saying that you have experience as you've driven as SLK for a fortnight, and a couple of others for similar periods is laughable. What real experience does that give you of varied conditions, roads, driving hazards etc - none!

Secondly, unless you have far more money than sense, you will have that niggling 3k excess ruining the experience for you. You'll worry about everything, where it is parked, vandalism etc - things out with your control that could still end up you payin that excess. Or you need legal aid/personal injury aid etc etc.

Remember that whilst it is easy to say that if someone hits you then their insurance will pay, all insurance companies try to get out of paying and even on a clean cut case you could wait months to get approval to repair your car. You only have two options then - pay for it yourself and try to claim it back (good luck with that...) or you stump up your excess, get the repairs done and let the insurance company fight it ou for you ( also taking months, but you get your 3k back eventually)

Speaking from bitter experience here - always have your excess ready to pay immediately or you could be without your car for a while.

Also, I agree that a 335i is an insane first car and that the premiums excess are probably justified (not 'stupid' as the OP stated). I'm on my second RWD car (with low power admittedly) but it does take building some experience to know what you can get away with before it is going to bite you. I've never driven a 335i, however I dare say on a wet roundabout or bend it doesn't take much to lose it. I know what I can get away with now, but with low power I've been able to build that up.

Last edited by Rob318; 02-24-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #33
Rob318
Private First Class
1
Rep
100
Posts

 
Drives: E92 318i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.B. View Post
why is everyone assuming that because hes getting a 335 for his first car hes going to go out in a ball of flames?

hes 23 not just 17!

i say go for it mate, excess is a cost you pay only if you fuck up! so.... dont fuck up!

simples!
Should read: if you f*ck up, someone else f*cks up, an uninsured driver f*cks up, storm damage, vandalism, cyclist f*cks up etc... (list is not exhaustive...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #34
JTMR360
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
5
Rep
220
Posts

 
Drives: E90 2008 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Just outside Banbury

iTrader: (0)

Dear god, I'm shocked your wondering why your getting a quote with a 3000 excess...

Swallow your pride and buy a shitter that you can...

1. Afford to insure and pay the excess because you probably will claim or run into trouble, your between 18&25, national stats, simple.

2. Afford to run.

3. Afford to maintain in a safe and legal state.

4. Afford to tax.

5. Afford to make a few mistakes in and learn.

I've been through track spec Honda's, a Caterham Superlight, Evo's and BMW's, all high power but I started with a 100bhp new TDI Focus.

I'm now 29, I hold a Class 1 Police Advsnced Driving certificate and an active member of IAM's too.

I drive well over 100k per year with work and personal mileage and I'm still learning too.

You are asking yourself to do a lot straight away by jumping in at the deep end and somewhere along the line something will give.

When your inexperienced as you are (it's not just about car control, look at the police system) you will probably drive too fast in some situations, you have 300 bhp on tap and that excess speed will have a dramatic effect on how you can effectively, safely and quickly draw up a plan on what your going to do when the shit hits the fan.

An experienced driver can drive s little quicker as he has seen the clues on the ground (information links) like horse poo, hedge cuttings or the fact that bins are out and will be thinking what if......

You, well, dig deep into your pockets.

Your driving a killing machine by driving a 1L car, you want 3L and 300 bhp as your first car, come on, get real mate!

What's more important, your life, the lives of others or looking good?

No brainer, if you have one.

Sorry for the flaming but coming online and stating that your annoyed with a high quote for a 300bhp first car is just ridiculous, what did you expect?????????
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #35
Rob318
Private First Class
1
Rep
100
Posts

 
Drives: E92 318i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

To the OP - any driving convictions, points etc you haven't mentioned? Seems unlikely that there is such little difference between the 335i and anything else, which is what you seem to be suggesting is the case?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #36
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Sparky68's Avatar
United Kingdom
47
Rep
3,136
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMR360 View Post
Dear god, I'm shocked your wondering why your getting a quote with a 3000 excess...

Swallow your pride and buy a shitter that you can...

1. Afford to insure and pay the excess because you probably will claim or run into trouble, your between 18&25, national stats, simple.

2. Afford to run.

3. Afford to maintain in a safe and legal state.

4. Afford to tax.

5. Afford to make a few mistakes in and learn.

I've been through track spec Honda's, a Caterham Superlight, Evo's and BMW's, all high power but I started with a 100bhp new TDI Focus.

I'm now 29, I hold a Class 1 Police Advsnced Driving certificate and an active member of IAM's too.

I drive well over 100k per year with work and personal mileage and I'm still learning too.

You are asking yourself to do a lot straight away by jumping in at the deep end and somewhere along the line something will give.

When your inexperienced as you are (it's not just about car control, look at the police system) you will probably drive too fast in some situations, you have 300 bhp on tap and that excess speed will have a dramatic effect on how you can effectively, safely and quickly draw up a plan on what your going to do when the shit hits the fan.

An experienced driver can drive s little quicker as he has seen the clues on the ground (information links) like horse poo, hedge cuttings or the fact that bins are out and will be thinking what if......

You, well, dig deep into your pockets.

Your driving a killing machine by driving a 1L car, you want 3L and 300 bhp as your first car, come on, get real mate!

What's more important, your life, the lives of others or looking good?

No brainer, if you have one.

Sorry for the flaming but coming online and stating that your annoyed with a high quote for a 300bhp first car is just ridiculous, what did you expect?????????
__________________

LM Reps - Borla Exhaust - Active Autowerks Chargepipe and Blow Off - JB4 G5 ISO - Burger Tuning Intake - Koni Street Shocks - Apex Springs - Whiteline Bushes - M3 rear Arms
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #37
zltm089
Major General
zltm089's Avatar
United Kingdom
90
Rep
7,419
Posts

 
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LONDON

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
So many fucked up drivers on the roads these days...but age got nothing to do with being a good driver or not.

My auntie is about 50 and been "driving" for years, still takes ages to park the car and can't drive for sh1t!!!...seen lots of other people who claim to have been driving for years but can't drive for sh1t!!!...

Having said that, I've also seen many young fast n furious plonkers in their Corsa thinking that because they got a massive exhaust this makes them Ken Block and drive dangerously...

All type of fucked up drivers out there, some of them with their mirrors not even properly adjusted!!!...and once they get to roundabouts, they got no idea which lane to take and which lane they're in!!!...bunch of useless fcuktards!...

sorry about the rant OP!
__________________

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #38
sshirazz
Private First Class
1
Rep
117
Posts

 
Drives: A bottle of water
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Just to clarify, I am not annoyed with the insurance quote given to me. I think paying that much money for such a car is worth it considering my area, age and no claims. I created this thread to know what will happen in certain circumstances.

You guys are treating me as if I don't know how to drive a car, or i'm going to rip the car on every clear road. When I get the car, i'll be driving in accordance with the law and everyone else. Only I know my capabilities and I know I am a very quick learner so I am sorry if you're not.

I understand that buying a nissan micra would be the best option for me, but that simply is not going to happen...

I haven't got any convictions or points, etc. I just didn't purchase a car due to not having the money.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #39
sshirazz
Private First Class
1
Rep
117
Posts

 
Drives: A bottle of water
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
So many fucked up drivers on the roads these days...but age got nothing to do with being a good driver or not.

My auntie is about 50 and been "driving" for years, still takes ages to park the car and can't drive for sh1t!!!...seen lots of other people who claim to have been driving for years but can't drive for sh1t!!!...

Having said that, I've also seen many young fast n furious plonkers in their Corsa thinking that because they got a massive exhaust this makes them Ken Block and drive dangerously...

All type of fucked up drivers out there, some of them with their mirrors not even properly adjusted!!!...and once they get to roundabouts, they got no idea which lane to take and which lane they're in!!!...bunch of useless fcuktards!...

sorry about the rant OP!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #40
briers
Ben
briers's Avatar
United Kingdom
34
Rep
1,971
Posts

 
Drives: XFR
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midlands,UK

iTrader: (0)

dont waste your cash and you will also miss out on owning an old rust bucket that you can rag everywhere and mistreat. Park it anywhere without fear, not care as much if it gets damaged.

If your mates are anything like mine they will leave old food and rubbish in there.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #41
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Sparky68's Avatar
United Kingdom
47
Rep
3,136
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshirazz View Post
Just to clarify, I am not annoyed with the insurance quote given to me. I think paying that much money for such a car is worth it considering my area, age and no claims. I created this thread to know what will happen in certain circumstances.

You guys are treating me as if I don't know how to drive a car, or i'm going to rip the car on every clear road. When I get the car, i'll be driving in accordance with the law and everyone else. Only I know my capabilities and I know I am a very quick learner so I am sorry if you're not.

I understand that buying a nissan micra would be the best option for me, but that simply is not going to happen...

I haven't got any convictions or points, etc. I just didn't purchase a car due to not having the money.
Good luck
__________________

LM Reps - Borla Exhaust - Active Autowerks Chargepipe and Blow Off - JB4 G5 ISO - Burger Tuning Intake - Koni Street Shocks - Apex Springs - Whiteline Bushes - M3 rear Arms
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #42
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
45
Rep
3,721
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

You would be mental to start off in a 335i.

With no driving experience you will also have to get used to costs involved in running a car.

Getting to 23 and not owning a car you will soon get a shock to find the cost of running an expensive car take a bit hit on your finances.

It does cost a fair amount to buy and run a 335i properly. Insurance won't be your only expensive bill to worry about.

There is good reason that the prices are what they are. Young men have by far the worst safety record for crashing.

8000 pounds worth of damage is pretty easy to rack up with a reasonably minor accident.

What happens if you do have an accident? Are you comfortable with the thought of having to pay 3000?

For me that is far too much money to put at risk.

You should be able to find a bigger gap between a 335i and a smaller car. I've even noticed a few dealers offering good insurance deals when you buy a car.

It would be wise to get some proper driving experience and some no claims bonus before thinking about a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #43
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
7
Rep
650
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Last year was nearly forty. A driver ran into back of me (slick road, driver opens car door and steps out in front of me, I stop, other guy doesn't). My admiral renewal quote went up from 850 to 1200 even though Insurance was fully paid off by other guys insurance as was a no fault accident. That must mean the undiscounted cost doubled. Your 1800 quote will seem cheap if it happened in your first year or two.
I have a fully protected ncd with twenty clean driving years. Just saying you need to think about what you might get stuck with if something not in your control goes wrong.

That said. Admiral is a good company, they accept some modifications provided they fit their off-the-peg pricing model, and 1800 is good price in my opinion for first drives. I remember being quoted that for a Suzuki swift 1.3 gti I had convinced myself I could afford for my first car twenty years ago when I saw one on sale for 1200. Ended up getting a first Uno. Definitely don't get that. Lol




P.s. the insurance company approach is that basic premium is affected by accidents regardless of fault. the only way to avoid this would be to not tell your insurer if the fault were either direction, but then aside from the dubious nature of this approach, all it takes is the other person to either change their minds and tell their insurer, or for things to become less amiable and the off record relationship to break down and you haven't a leg to stand on.

Last edited by crypticc; 02-24-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #44
JTMR360
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
5
Rep
220
Posts

 
Drives: E90 2008 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Just outside Banbury

iTrader: (0)

You might do everything correctly, good on you, you might be a good driver (the tutor and examiner may have probably told you) but one thing you are not good at is picking up on things the way more experienced drivers do.

You cannot teach expperience, you can't just have it over night.

Just swallow your pride buddy, it's not against you, just try and see sense.

Yes, you'll always have peer pressure and the desire to get something else but what's more enjoyable?

Having a car you can use or having a car that you think you can use when in actual fact your probably showing others around you that you can't.

Fast cars make bad drivers look good (to a certain point) and I take my hat off to people at the Nrburgring in shitty cars that have made my 62 laps of that place seem as if I didn't know what I was doing at all.

Good luck, drive safe and keep us all safe.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST