E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > muffler delete vs resonator delete?

02-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
knight-rider
Private

Drives: BMW 335i // Black // MT

Garage List
muffler delete vs resonator delete?

I have a 2008 335i... I'm thinking of either doing the muffler delete or the resonator delete... Don't know which would be the best for the car
Did the research and found out that most people do the muffler delete on a 330 or a 328, now the 335 has a twin turbo (of course) but my question would be would that affect the turbos (muffler delete)...

I did the golf tee mod, which opens the flap on the left exhaust and keeps it open; I noticed that on the low rpms (around 1800~2500) the car doesn't push you back to the seat as it used to do! So i went back from the golf tee mod to stock, everything went back to normal.

I don't know if this will happen if i took out the mufflers but I'm pretty sure that it would, if this wasn't just in my head from the beginning ...

I thought of taking out one muffler, the one on the right, as its always open but I think the engine wont be stable (correct me if i'm wrong) and it will throw on some codes...

Went to a shop that a friend recommended and the guy told me that taking out the resonator would be the best choice and won't be as loud but it would be reasonable...

So what do you guys think?

_____________________________________________ UPDATE _____________________________________________

After doing a lot of research, I found out that the muffler delete will affect the turbos and will DECREASE the torque specially around 800 (eight hundred not eighteen hundred) RPM till 2200 RPM!

The resonator is only there to make the car quiet. It'sBMW's strategy to have a quiet car from the inside and the outside + I heard its good for the environment as well (not 100% sure about it).

So I did the resonator delete; but instead of having two straight pipes, I installed an X-Pipe...

There's NO DRONE AT ALL! on a scale from 1-10 maybe I'll give it a 2 max!
Now that's good from the inside but I'm one of the people who LOVE to hear the car ROAR... That's why I would give it 1 star out of 5 as there's not much difference.

As from the outside, it sounded better! Not that loud and not quiet!
Give it a 2.5 stars out of 5

I did it in a place called "Hogler's muffler city" it's on the No.3 road in Richmond, BC. It costed me $180 + tax... the total was $201.60

I didn't take a video yet, but i recorded it using my iPhone. Gives a better sound than a video I guess lol...

Here's the links:

Acceleration: http://www.hulkshare.com/7tysg49phvnk

From the inside http://www.hulkshare.com/2bvmqnno0b0g

Start up http://www.hulkshare.com/naf3yfb1s35s

Last edited by knight-rider; 03-20-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: update
      02-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
MSport35TT
Captain

Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335ix  [0.75]
Catless dp call it a day. Both sound Nd increases performance.

TMPS Sensor 09+ For Sale
x1 Seat Belt For Sale
MSport35TT is offline   United_States
      02-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
psmitty95
Brigadier General

Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive

+1 for catless DP's I have tons of videos on my youtube account if you want to see how they sound on a stock E90 exhaust. Username is same as on here. If you really don't want to do downpipes then the resonator delete would be nice. By taking out the resonators you're essentially converting the car to the coupe exhaust so it should be a good amount louder if you've heard the coupes in person
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno
psmitty95 is offline   United_States
      02-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
135Pats
Saving for a big ass turbo or an A3...IDK which.

Drives: 135i

If OP is not planning on tuning IMO leave the downpipes alone and get a good axleback. Better sound without the hassle that can accompany catless downpipes.
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
      02-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #5
Lankster
Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Drives: 2007 335xi

I think the lack of power due to the golf tee mod is more of a placebo effect. The flapper valve opens on its own after the car warms up a little bit anyways, so its like you never really did anything to the car.

But if I had to choose between 3 options (muffler delete, catless dos, or res delete), I would do either resonator or catless DPs..

just my $0.02
      02-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
wahooooman
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335xi, Tiag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
If OP is not planning on tuning IMO leave the downpipes alone and get a good axleback. Better sound without the hassle that can accompany catless downpipes.
+100000 I'd agree completely with this!
I have no secondary cats and a x-pipe instead of resonator with golf tee mod and I love the sound. If your cutting the resonator off please put a x-pipe In its place or a piece of pipe connecting both pipes in the resonators place (h-pipe). My car sounded like a farty civic with straight pipes instead of an x-pipe/h-pipe, especially when shifting. IMO cutting the secondary cats off made the biggest difference.
I just have to add down pipes and the sound will be perfect good luck OP
      03-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
knight-rider
Private

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankster View Post
I think the lack of power due to the golf tee mod is more of a placebo effect. The flapper valve opens on its own after the car warms up a little bit anyways, so its like you never really did anything to the car.

But if I had to choose between 3 options (muffler delete, catless dos, or res delete), I would do either resonator or catless DPs..

just my $0.02
That's actually not quiet right, because I know it opens after a while but when you drive off it closes and when you hit it hard it opens

Based on my research...
      03-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
knight-rider
Private

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooooman View Post
I have no secondary cats and a x-pipe instead of resonator with golf tee mod and I love the sound. If your cutting the resonator off please put a x-pipe In its place or a piece of pipe connecting both pipes in the resonators place (h-pipe). My car sounded like a farty civic with straight pipes instead of an x-pipe/h-pipe, especially when shifting. IMO cutting the secondary cats off made the biggest difference.
Thanks for the info! resonator delete with an x/pipe it is i guess! i'll post a video as soon as I do it.
      03-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Manny335i17

Drives: 4 door stick shift 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooooman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post

I agree. Right now I'm running catless downpipes with no resonator or mufflers and all I have left is my secondary cat but I love how it sounds. The one thing you can not do on this cars is run open downpipes or a turndown. It sounds bad. You have to finish the whole thing.
      03-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
Manny335i17

Drives: 4 door stick shift 335i

If you want I'll make a video and I'll post it on here some time later today
      03-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
knight-rider
Private

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny335i17 View Post
If you want I'll make a video and I'll post it on here some time later today
Please do thank you
      03-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
robc1976
DIYER

Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny335i17 View Post
I agree. Right now I'm running catless downpipes with no resonator or mufflers and all I have left is my secondary cat but I love how it sounds. The one thing you can not do on this cars is run open downpipes or a turndown. It sounds bad. You have to finish the whole thing.
I am doing the same and sounds amazing! If you have 500hp it sounds even better. I do have dual vibrant resonators though....if you do the muffler/resonator delete without vibrant resonators it has WAY to much rasp.
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, Meyle HD tie-rods, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport coilovers, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
      03-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
USAF Rick
Private First Class

Drives: Montego Blue 08 335i e92

Not sure how far you've gotten with this but I'm currently on muffler deletes and I'm pretty over it. I'm getting ready to purchase both the VRSF DPs and Catback exhaust. From the sound of it on youtube, the combination of those two will be less loud than the muffler deletes by themselves. I must be getting old, I use to love loud exhaust, haha.

The main things I don't like about my deletes is how loud it is during cold start, I swear I'm waking up my whole neighborhood in the morning before work, and the drone at lower RPMs. However that's just how I feel, it's not for everybody I guess. Good luck and have fun!!

FBO
Instagram: RickyyyyyH
USAF Rick is offline   United_States
      03-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #14
robc1976
DIYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Rick View Post
Not sure how far you've gotten with this but I'm currently on muffler deletes and I'm pretty over it. I'm getting ready to purchase both the VRSF DPs and Catback exhaust. From the sound of it on youtube, the combination of those two will be less loud than the muffler deletes by themselves. I must be getting old, I use to love loud exhaust, haha.

The main things I don't like about my deletes is how loud it is during cold start, I swear I'm waking up my whole neighborhood in the morning before work, and the drone at lower RPMs. However that's just how I feel, it's not for everybody I guess. Good luck and have fun!!
Start up is loud I agree
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, Meyle HD tie-rods, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport coilovers, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
      03-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Avoid muffler delete if you want to avoid drone. Resonator delete is a safe option but does not make too much of a difference. Although the opinion of loudness and difference is very subjective depending on the persons sensitivity.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      03-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #16
robc1976
DIYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Avoid muffler delete if you want to avoid drone. Resonator delete is a safe option but does not make too much of a difference. Although the opinion of loudness and difference is very subjective depending on the persons sensitivity.
JB4 lagfix helped a lot with my done.
      03-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #17
JETBLK335i
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335i

Not trying to threadjack here, but I am kind of in the same boat with my exhaust.

I am an 08 N54 sedan and running cattless dp and an exhaust mod as an alternative to performance exhaust. I am raspy at high rpm. What options are best to get rid of the raspiness?

Cut secondary resonators and put in an x-pipe?

I can remember if the mid-pipe
Area on the sedans are
Bolted separately and can be replaced, or I have to hack out the resonators. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OP, where is the vid???
JETBLK335i is offline   United_States
      03-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #18
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETBLK335i View Post
Not trying to threadjack here, but I am kind of in the same boat with my exhaust.

I am an 08 N54 sedan and running cattless dp and an exhaust mod as an alternative to performance exhaust. I am raspy at high rpm. What options are best to get rid of the raspiness?

Cut secondary resonators and put in an x-pipe?

I can remember if the mid-pipe
Area on the sedans are
Bolted separately and can be replaced, or I have to hack out the resonators. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OP, where is the vid???
If you feel its raspy now, removing the resonator will only make it worse. And its not bolted, you'd have to cut.
nitehawk is offline   Canada
      03-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #19
slammy_daniels

Drives: 2009 e92 335i

I would do a 2nd cat delete and magnaflow mufflers. This is a cheaper solution and will sound great
      03-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
JETBLK335i
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy_daniels
I would do a 2nd cat delete and magnaflow mufflers. This is a cheaper solution and will sound great
This with the cattless dp set up?

So the response above said if I cut the secondary resonators and replace with an x-pipe it will be more raspy?

Interesting. Always though it would do the opposite. :
      03-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:

So the response above said if I cut the secondary resonators and replace with an x-pipe it will be more raspy?

Well, most people like the sound of catless dp's with res delete. Afterall, e92's stock have the x-pipe. However you felt that your current setup sounds raspy with the resonator still in place. Most would say it's too quiet. I'd suggest you hear an e92 with catless dp's first before doing anything.
nitehawk is offline   Canada
      03-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #22
JETBLK335i
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk
Quote:

Well, most people like the sound of catless dp's with res delete. Afterall, e92's stock have the x-pipe. However you felt that your current setup sounds raspy with the resonator still in place. Most would say it's too quiet. I'd suggest you hear an e92 with catless dp's first before doing anything.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind if its loud when I get on it, but I don't want drone or rasp.

I think right now my options are cutting the secondary res and replacing with an xpipe, or changing the mufflers.

I read on another thread that you can swap the n55 mid section with the n54. But not sure if it was on a coupe or sedan.