E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4 or Cobb for stock N54 drive



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #111
AK 335i
Major
AK 335i's Avatar
14
Rep
1,294
Posts

 
Drives: black 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: boynton beach

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWil335i View Post
Can't say anything about COBB, but the JB4 has been fantastic on my car and the support has been phenomenal. No matter what you go with, I doubt it will be the last performance item you purchase .

Tune and DCI only - 12.3 and 113 are my fastest with E85 mix.
nice tune dci run! my best tune dci e85 with jb4 was 12.4 @ 112

with dps now it's 12.05 @ 115
__________________
- Proven Power Tampa Built 6466 ST N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq -
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #112
AWil335i
Second Lieutenant
AWil335i's Avatar
5
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smi1gj View Post
nice tune dci run! my best tune dci e85 with jb4 was 12.4 @ 112

with dps now it's 12.05 @ 115
Nice! Can't wait for DPs and FMIC this winter. Hoping for 11's with new rubber.
__________________
07 E92 335I | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | DCI | BMS DPs | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCU Flash | Walbro GLS392 | E70 | 429rwhp/474rwtq
|


Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #113
AK 335i
Major
AK 335i's Avatar
14
Rep
1,294
Posts

 
Drives: black 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: boynton beach

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWil335i View Post
Nice! Can't wait for DPs and FMIC this winter. Hoping for 11's with new rubber.
should be easy. I'm doing intercooler tomorrow I think

if so I should get 11s Wednesday
__________________
- Proven Power Tampa Built 6466 ST N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq -
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #114
AWil335i
Second Lieutenant
AWil335i's Avatar
5
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smi1gj View Post
should be easy. I'm doing intercooler tomorrow I think

if so I should get 11s Wednesday
Good luck - no more track time here until spring.
__________________
07 E92 335I | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | DCI | BMS DPs | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCU Flash | Walbro GLS392 | E70 | 429rwhp/474rwtq
|


Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #115
bmw5406spd
Passionate About Cars
3
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Bmw X1 35i X-Line
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

new question jb4 issues

I have two jb4 units, one on my 09 135 and one on my 13 x1 35i, i had the jb4 previously on my 07 335i conv and when i bought a 135 switched the unit it to it, ive had nothing but problems, d1160 code, under warranty took to bmw and they cant find whats wrong, i was nervous if they could not find the problem they would suggest a ecu issue and find the jb4, bmw called and said they fixed it by replacing the intake temp sensor, i was relieved, i did not even get car off lot and 1/2 power and cel came on, i did not go back and in process of removing jb4 before i return car to bmw, my problem is with BMS they have horrible support, email only...even the tuner that is doing my down pipes on my x1 said i would go with cobb that they are better then they used to be and their customer support is awesome, i talked my friend into a jb4 for his 2011 335is and a few questions he had took days if not weeks to answer via email and could have been cleared up via phone support in minutes, i am having a real issue with this, their price is cheaper and i have two of them so i like their product but the savings is not worth the hassle, a few hundred dollars in a vehicle that we are spending thousands upgrading is not an issue, if i protune my cars with cobb can i expect thhe same numbers as the jb4 claims, the guy doing tunes at new shop swears by cobb and said they have a 30 day money back guarantee, how can i lose except dyno tune time, i am getting very frustrated with burgers support, simple questions like what is a good plug to use with mods i have took days to get answered, then all i got was buy them off our site no answer but that, and this is after $4k spent on their products for my cars, any suggestions...thanks
__________________
2013 Bmw X1 35i, X Line, Midnight Blue/Terra, JB4, BMS CAI, BMS Down Pipe, H/R Sport Lowering Springs, M5 Style 19 Inch Wheels, Midnight Blue/Terra
2009 Bmw 135i Sport Coupe, Red/Tan, JB4, PLM Down Pipes, BMS CAI, Carbon Fiber Rear Splitter
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #116
BEAR-AvHistory
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
22
Rep
2,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC - USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWil335i View Post
Can't say anything about COBB, but the JB4 has been fantastic on my car and the support has been phenomenal. No matter what you go with, I doubt it will be the last performance item you purchase .

Tune and DCI only - 12.3 and 113 are my fastest with E85 mix.
Agree, old JB4 G4 tune, Map 2 & 95 octane 93/100 mix 12.5 X 114. COBB is competitive with a pro tune but so far not many are showing up at Drag Times. Only 5 in the top 50 with #13 & #20 being the best.
__________________
Kevin

2014 435M-Sport MPPK - 2013 135is Cab 6MT - 2009 V-Star FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
Cobra Coyote First Start.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-07-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #117
BEAR-AvHistory
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
22
Rep
2,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC - USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5406spd View Post
I have two jb4 units, one on my 09 135 and one on my 13 x1 35i, i had the jb4 previously on my 07 335i conv and when i bought a 135 switched the unit it to it, ive had nothing but problems, d1160 code, under warranty took to bmw and they cant find whats wrong,
Did you put an N54 unit in a N55 car?
__________________
Kevin

2014 435M-Sport MPPK - 2013 135is Cab 6MT - 2009 V-Star FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
Cobra Coyote First Start.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #118
bmw5406spd
Passionate About Cars
3
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Bmw X1 35i X-Line
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Did you put an N54 unit in a N55 car?
No, used the one from my 335 to my 135, n54 and n55 are different
__________________
2013 Bmw X1 35i, X Line, Midnight Blue/Terra, JB4, BMS CAI, BMS Down Pipe, H/R Sport Lowering Springs, M5 Style 19 Inch Wheels, Midnight Blue/Terra
2009 Bmw 135i Sport Coupe, Red/Tan, JB4, PLM Down Pipes, BMS CAI, Carbon Fiber Rear Splitter
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #119
BEAR-AvHistory
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
22
Rep
2,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC - USA

iTrader: (0)

I know that's why I asked, saw some problems posted with people who tried it.

Sorry you has such a bad time with BMS. I have found them very quick to respond & Terry helped me build a custom Map 6 one Sunday afternoon swapping emails & logs back & forth.
__________________
Kevin

2014 435M-Sport MPPK - 2013 135is Cab 6MT - 2009 V-Star FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
Cobra Coyote First Start.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #120
Jimrobbington
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0t
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parker, CO

iTrader: (0)

Lots of good info on here. I may be sliding into a used 08/09 335xi this summer. I'm coming from an Audi A4 2.0t, stage 2, full bolt ons except upgraded hpfp. Things are much different on this platform. This piggyback stuff is new to me, but it's really hard to decide what would be better, the Cobb or the JB4? All the little extra features on the JB4 just seem so awesome.

Also, tell me more about using E85. Didn't know you could just throw it in the tank for more power. Does it require and fueling upgrades? Heard the lpfp might need some love?

Also, coming from REVO tuning, who allows you to change timing values, that seems like something lacking in the JB4. Is the ECU on this platform that intuitive that you can just throw E85 in without changing tune parameters, and you will immediately get adaptations from the engine?

Last edited by Jimrobbington; 04-12-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #121
RnmEvo9
Lieutenant Colonel
28
Rep
1,692
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Honestly, you can't go wring with either tune because they both get the job done and are incredibly easy to use. I reccomend the JB4 because I have had no issues whatsoever with it, and am a big fan of the features it has (On the fly map switching via steering wheel buttons, gauge hijacking to show intake temps, boost, coolant temp, shift light, etc). I feel like for people who don't feel comfortable going into the ECU area AT ALL should go with the COBB, but to be honest it's really not that hard once you do it once. If you go the JB4 route, find a local member willing to help you out with the install, so you can be guided as you do it.
What a load of

Its ok, we will keep the secrets of your issues within the groupme chat. If anybody is curious, this guy is no longer using a JB4.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #122
zipstic
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
608
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Hopefully I won't get flamed for this, but how come no one is talking about PROcede? How does the reliability and performance compare to COBB and JB4? From the stickie it looks like it's similar to JB4, but a little more expensive.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #123
Turbopat
Private First Class
1
Rep
198
Posts

 
Drives: Black on black e92
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrobbington View Post
Lots of good info on here. I may be sliding into a used 08/09 335xi this summer. I'm coming from an Audi A4 2.0t, stage 2, full bolt ons except upgraded hpfp. Things are much different on this platform. This piggyback stuff is new to me, but it's really hard to decide what would be better, the Cobb or the JB4? All the little extra features on the JB4 just seem so awesome.

Also, tell me more about using E85. Didn't know you could just throw it in the tank for more power. Does it require and fueling upgrades? Heard the lpfp might need some love?

Also, coming from REVO tuning, who allows you to change timing values, that seems like something lacking in the JB4. Is the ECU on this platform that intuitive that you can just throw E85 in without changing tune parameters, and you will immediately get adaptations from the engine?
I had a stage 2 APR a3 2.0t fsi and came into the BMW world! Funny how you are extremely similar to what I went through. I have JB4, DCI and downpipes waiting to be installed!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #124
Christov89
New Member
Christov89's Avatar
1
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335is
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Louisiana

iTrader: (0)

I'll be installing my new JB4 G5 ISO tomorrow. Never had experience with the juice box or cobb. Will report back and let everyone know how it went.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #125
Jimrobbington
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0t
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parker, CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopat View Post
I had a stage 2 APR a3 2.0t fsi and came into the BMW world! Funny how you are extremely similar to what I went through. I have JB4, DCI and downpipes waiting to be installed!
Deal is, my A4 was involved in an accident on Easter when a dipshit ran a redlight. There is a chance that they will total the car, though the damage seems to be mostly cosmetic. Car is at almost 130k miles. I am trying to plan out what I will do if they decide to total it. I won't know til next week, but I gotta be prepared. I knew I wanted either this engine, or Audi's 3.0t, but the A6 is all that is in my price range, and it only comes auto . So here I am!

I know I will always tune the car, and do exhaust, intake, etc. Just a question of which tune.

So I found the perfect 335xi, white with black interior, manual trans, about 40k miles and only $22k. Problem is, I'm in Denver, and it's in NY. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #126
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
VNeBLOB42's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,679
Posts

 
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Folsom, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
007 335i E92  [3.83]
Send a message via Skype™ to VNeBLOB42
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Hopefully I won't get flamed for this, but how come no one is talking about PROcede? How does the reliability and performance compare to COBB and JB4? From the stickie it looks like it's similar to JB4, but a little more expensive.


^^



^^
__________________

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #127
zipstic
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
608
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post


^^



^^
Woohoo thanks for the reply and the PM saying the exact same thing!

Good thing no on has asked questions about H&R race springs with stock struts or exhaust questions without searching google/the forum to build the community and share information for fellow enthusiasts.

I'm just giving you a hard time. I knew I was going to get flamed for my question, but I was hoping to get some insights.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #128
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
VNeBLOB42's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,679
Posts

 
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Folsom, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
007 335i E92  [3.83]
Send a message via Skype™ to VNeBLOB42
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Woohoo thanks for the reply and the PM saying the exact same thing!

Good thing no on has asked questions about H&R race springs with stock struts or exhaust questions without searching google/the forum to build the community and share information for fellow enthusiasts.

I'm just giving you a hard time. I knew I was going to get flamed for my question, but I was hoping to get some insights.
I didn't flame you. Read your pm. Literally bro.
__________________

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #129
zipstic
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
608
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
I didn't flame you. Read your pm. Literally bro.
Ah I see what you did there! Thanks for help! Much appreciated! My bad

You > Me
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 01:36 AM   #130
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
VNeBLOB42's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,679
Posts

 
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Folsom, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
007 335i E92  [3.83]
Send a message via Skype™ to VNeBLOB42
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Ah I see what you did there! Thanks for help! Much appreciated! My bad

You > Me
__________________

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #131
Colo M/Sport
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335 M / Sport
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrobbington View Post
Deal is, my A4 was involved in an accident on Easter when a dipshit ran a redlight. There is a chance that they will total the car, though the damage seems to be mostly cosmetic. Car is at almost 130k miles. I am trying to plan out what I will do if they decide to total it. I won't know til next week, but I gotta be prepared. I knew I wanted either this engine, or Audi's 3.0t, but the A6 is all that is in my price range, and it only comes auto . So here I am!

I know I will always tune the car, and do exhaust, intake, etc. Just a question of which tune.

So I found the perfect 335xi, white with black interior, manual trans, about 40k miles and only $22k. Problem is, I'm in Denver, and it's in NY. Lol.

So, how did that turn out - get the car? I'm in Denver and going back to VA to see a car Friday. Any advice? Also would you use AR Design to get your tune? I've heard good things, but don't know them.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #132
Jimrobbington
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0t
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parker, CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo M/Sport View Post
So, how did that turn out - get the car? I'm in Denver and going back to VA to see a car Friday. Any advice? Also would you use AR Design to get your tune? I've heard good things, but don't know them.
Actually, I did end up getting the A4 back, so not much advice here. Lol. I'm going to continue to do my research, as I believe I still want a 335 for my next car. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST