E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Internet / BMW live and iPhone 4s (iOS5) tethering with AT&T



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
apw2607
Major
44
Rep
1,428
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 X5 35d
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Internet / BMW live and iPhone 4s (iOS5) tethering with AT&T

Hi guys.

I recently did a retrofit of the combox media, and had the internet browser and BMW live enabled by bimmertech.

I also have a AT&T iPhone 4s with a tethering data plan.

I can set up the iPhone 4s with phone, data (and audio) with the car through Bluetooth, no problem.

I've had very limited success getting either the internet browser or BMW live to work properly. It seems as if the idrive is unable to start a data connection through the iPhone 4s. (You know if it has successful established a connection as the iPhone will display how many hotspot connections are active)

Has anyone else ran into this issue with a AT&T iphone 4s and iOS5? I'm not sure if I have a issue with my phone or iOS5 or not.

BMW apps, bluetooth phone / audio streaming, pandora all work perfectly.

Alas, I don't have another phone with tethering to try with the car.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
mbel
Enlisted Member
mbel's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: 2004 E60
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tampa, FL.

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to mbel
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Hi guys.

I recently did a retrofit of the combox media, and had the internet browser and BMW live enabled by bimmertech.

I also have a AT&T iPhone 4s with a tethering data plan.

I can set up the iPhone 4s with phone, data (and audio) with the car through Bluetooth, no problem.

I've had very limited success getting either the internet browser or BMW live to work properly. It seems as if the idrive is unable to start a data connection through the iPhone 4s. (You know if it has successful established a connection as the iPhone will display how many hotspot connections are active)

Has anyone else ran into this issue with a AT&T iphone 4s and iOS5? I'm not sure if I have a issue with my phone or iOS5 or not.

BMW apps, bluetooth phone / audio streaming, pandora all work perfectly.

Alas, I don't have another phone with tethering to try with the car.

Thanks.
You need to use the BMW Y cable or the white Apple USB cable.....
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbel View Post
You need to use the BMW Y cable or the white Apple USB cable.....
Tethering is thru Bluetooth.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
apw2607
Major
44
Rep
1,428
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 X5 35d
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Digging around a bit more, I notice you can find more info about the combox firmware and hardware installed directly from the iPhone itself. With it connected via the ipod cable, goto about on your phone, you will see a option for BMW Combox.

If folks are not seeing any issues with 4s, att and bmw live/internet, perhaps you could post what firmware/hardware you have.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
apw2607
Major
44
Rep
1,428
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 X5 35d
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Ok, a update. Thanks to Patyk figured this out. It turns out that with at least the iPhone, you need to open the Hotspot/tethering screen before you attempt to start BMW live or internet. Otherwise the car won't be able to start a tethering connection.

I guess its a quirk with iOS5 or the iphone. Eitherway, if you do this, it will always work. So there you go, mystery solved.

Thanks Patryk and Bimmertech. Awesome service as usual.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Patrys@BimmerTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Patrys@BimmerTech's Avatar
Poland
85
Rep
1,607
Posts


 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Warsaw/Poland

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Ok, a update. Thanks to Patyk figured this out. It turns out that with at least the iPhone, you need to open the Hotspot/tethering screen before you attempt to start BMW live or internet. Otherwise the car won't be able to start a tethering connection.

I guess its a quirk with iOS5 or the iphone. Eitherway, if you do this, it will always work. So there you go, mystery solved.

Thanks Patryk and Bimmertech. Awesome service as usual.
It has been pleasure to work with you Adrian!
Thank you!
__________________
BimmerTech
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
antah
New Member
Czech_Republic
1
Rep
23
Posts

 
Drives: F30 320d modern
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CZ, Europe

iTrader: (0)

Thank you, guys! this post saved me a big headache!
__________________
Honda Accord -> Subaru STi -> E93 -> F30
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
bmiller085
Private First Class
bmiller085's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
167
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Sorry to dig this up again...my E90 came with Combox and BMW Online installed from the factory. When I go to use BMW Online, it tells me that I need to order the Convenience Plan through BMW Assist (obviously). Since I don't want to pay $199/year for that, is it as simple as tethering through my iPhone to get this going or do I need to have it activated by Bimmer-Tech first?
__________________
2014 328i 6MT | silver metallic/black dakota | m-sport | premium | navigation | heated front seats | performance kidney grille

Sold: 2014 F25 X3 35i | 2011 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
bmiller085
Private First Class
bmiller085's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
167
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller085 View Post
Sorry to dig this up again...my E90 came with Combox and BMW Online installed from the factory. When I go to use BMW Online, it tells me that I need to order the Convenience Plan through BMW Assist (obviously). Since I don't want to pay $199/year for that, is it as simple as tethering through my iPhone to get this going or do I need to have it activated by Bimmer-Tech first?
Bump Anyone know?
__________________
2014 328i 6MT | silver metallic/black dakota | m-sport | premium | navigation | heated front seats | performance kidney grille

Sold: 2014 F25 X3 35i | 2011 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller085 View Post
Bump Anyone know?
It needs coding.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
nicola.medovic
Registered
Italy
0
Rep
2
Posts

 
Drives: X1 xdrive20d
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milan Italy

iTrader: (0)

Patryk can certainly arrange that.........
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST