E90Post

200MPH

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No E-Brake Light??

03-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class

Drives: 06 BMW 330i SP

No E-Brake Light??

Hi everyone like the title suggests my E-brake light does not come on (the one on the dash). I don't really care about the light, but since I just had my car serviced I'm curious if they messed something else up, or disabled all warning lights or something. On start up all the lights come on like normal and then go away, but when parked with the ebrake up no light, pull the ebrake when in motion no light

I need to check all my fuses because I found a couple on my floor mats but I haven't gotten around to it, I keep forgetting and then I type this out at night haha!

Thanks everyone!
      03-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
laurentProd
Private

Drives: E93

Got the same issue on my e93.
It was a poor wire connection on the e brake it self.
just remove and plug it back, it will work.
Took me 2 min to fix it.

03-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
kyleroc69

Drives: '07 328i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentProd View Post
Got the same issue on my e93.
It was a poor wire connection on the e brake it self.
just remove and plug it back, it will work.
Took me 2 min to fix it.

Where was the wire you unplugged? I'm having the same issue, but I've always just ignored it...
kyleroc69 is offline   United_States
      03-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
laurentProd
Private

Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleroc69 View Post
Where was the wire you unplugged? I'm having the same issue, but I've always just ignored it...
Between the two front seats.
Remove the e-brake boot cover.
On the e-brake metal frame, on the back, you will find a little pin not well attached... Use a flashlight !

Hope this help !
      03-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
ericfox11
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335i Sedan M-Sport

What is the purpose of an Ebrake on an automatic? I have an auto...and going about 25MPH the other day I pulled it hard to see if my tires would screech to a stop..my car very slowly slowed down...is this normal?
      03-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
fazi13
Private

Drives: 2008 335i Manual

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfox11 View Post
What is the purpose of an Ebrake on an automatic? I have an auto...and going about 25MPH the other day I pulled it hard to see if my tires would screech to a stop..my car very slowly slowed down...is this normal?
it should screech because pulling the brake would be the same as slamming down on the brake pedal. maybe the DTC started to detect a slide and applied the front brakes automatically.

the ebrake on an automatic is to help stop the car from sliding down a big hill, like putting the car into 1st on a big hill on a manual
fazi13 is offline   United_States
      03-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
ericfox11
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazi13 View Post
it should screech because pulling the brake would be the same as slamming down on the brake pedal. maybe the DTC started to detect a slide and applied the front brakes automatically.

the ebrake on an automatic is to help stop the car from sliding down a big hill, like putting the car into 1st on a big hill on a manual
So what does it mean if my car didn't screech to a halt. It was like the slowest possible slowdown that could happen. I don't think I could hit my foot brake lightly enough to slow down my car as slowly as the ebrake did...
      03-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Braumin
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335i xDrive Sedan

That's not what the ebrake is for. It's for holding the car while stopped, and as an EMERGENCY brake. Of course it's not going to have the same stopping power as your regular brakes - in that system you have your leg (which is much stronger than your arm) coupled with vacuum or electric assist. The ebrake is a purely mechanical setup with no assist.

If you lost your hydraulic brakes, you can use the ebrake to stop. That's all it is for. It's not very strong because then you wouldn't be able to pull the lever.

Luckily brake systems on cars are pretty much foolproof now with redundant systems so there's almost zero chance you'd ever need that brake for anything other than parking (which is why it's also called a Parking brake more often than Emergency Brake).

And p.s. you should always use the hand brake in a manual when parked. Putting the car in gear on a hill isn't a guarantee that your car won't roll away. It's basically just the engine compression holding your car, and if your car ever started to roll, momentum would overcome that.
      03-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
ericfox11
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braumin View Post
That's not what the ebrake is for. It's for holding the car while stopped, and as an EMERGENCY brake. Of course it's not going to have the same stopping power as your regular brakes - in that system you have your leg (which is much stronger than your arm) coupled with vacuum or electric assist. The ebrake is a purely mechanical setup with no assist.

If you lost your hydraulic brakes, you can use the ebrake to stop. That's all it is for. It's not very strong because then you wouldn't be able to pull the lever.

Luckily brake systems on cars are pretty much foolproof now with redundant systems so there's almost zero chance you'd ever need that brake for anything other than parking (which is why it's also called a Parking brake more often than Emergency Brake).

And p.s. you should always use the hand brake in a manual when parked. Putting the car in gear on a hill isn't a guarantee that your car won't roll away. It's basically just the engine compression holding your car, and if your car ever started to roll, momentum would overcome that.
Alright, good to know. I just wanted to make sure it shouldnt screech to a halt, because mine doesnt.

So in an automatic there is no need to use the ebrake while in park, correct? This is the practice I have used in all my years of driving...just making sure.
      03-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
Braumin
First Lieutenant

Yes it's good practice to use the hand brake in park. It keeps pressure off of the parking pawl in the transmission. It's unlikely that the pawl would ever break, but it does make it easier to shift out of park especially when you park on an incline.

Also, using the parking brake regularly keeps the mechanism in good working order. If you never use the brake, the cables can seize up.
      03-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
ericfox11
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braumin View Post
Yes it's good practice to use the hand brake in park. It keeps pressure off of the parking pawl in the transmission. It's unlikely that the pawl would ever break, but it does make it easier to shift out of park especially when you park on an incline.

Also, using the parking brake regularly keeps the mechanism in good working order. If you never use the brake, the cables can seize up.
Yeah, on an incline I've always applied some type of parking brake. You are supposed to apply the brake BEFORE you put the car into park in order to relieve the stress on the transmission, correct?
      03-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Braumin
First Lieutenant

Or just keep your foot on the real brakes after you put it in park. Same thing.